Warrington Borough Council Budget Debate

andygill

Radio Warrington is putting on a BBC Question Time-style debate on Tuesday, 8th March. The millions of pounds Warrington Borough Council is going to have to save over the next 2-3 years is one of the biggest issues in the Town for decades, and we want to explore the impact they will have.

We want the listeners and studio audience to be as represenatative as possible, and for the questions for the Panel to reflect the differences of opinion which must exist within the Borough. Although some people will be critical of the changes, others may support them and their views deserve airtime as well.

If you can't attend but would like to submit a question please do so here.

Thanks

Andy,

I would like to ask why the council are spending money on youth programmes and speed restrictions instead of securing the front line services first and also, are there any plans to reduce spending by cutting the number of councillors; limiting their expenses (Terry O'Neil seems to claim far in excess of everyone else when it comes to travel; so much so, I was thinking he may live in London or somewhare!) and maybe getting the top earners at the council to maybe take a pay cut.

I agreeentirely with Bazj

in fact

Oldham Council agrees to cut councillors by a third

Oldham Council needs to save ?23m in 2011-12

Oldham Council has approved plans to cut the number of its members by a third.

The Liberal Democrat-run authority said the move would help to reduce the ?280,000 it spends on expenses and allowances every year.

Warrington could do the same without anyone noticing.

I agreeentirely with Bazj

in fact

Oldham Council agrees to cut councillors by a third

Oldham Council needs to save ?23m in 2011-12

Oldham Council has approved plans to cut the number of its members by a third.

The Liberal Democrat-run authority said the move would help to reduce the ?280,000 it spends on expenses and allowances every year.

Warrington could do the same without anyone noticing.

Wigan Council have cut down from five Departmental Heads to three.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm listening..... who's the Irish bloke talking now and what has he got to do with Warrington?
He is the councillor responsible for finance and lives in Warrington

That'll be Cllr Paul Campbell but he wasn't the one that got the only round of applause :wink: .

I thought it came across on the radio as a good debate.

Damn I'd forgotten about it have I missed much... :oops: I've clicked to listen in now :D
Dizzy it is repeated in Sunday and will then be available to download as a podcast.

Thanks... can you remind me and what time on Sunday as I don't have a pod thing and would really like to hear the whole debate :D

I only caught a couple of bits of tonight's broadcast but I was a bit concerned by the comment by Mr Campbell that the Atlantic Gateway will be 'touching all wards in warrington and that we will become the central HUB between Liverpool and Manchester' :? Does it really have to touch us :shock:

I missed the next bit thanks to a double glazing company....

But then I heard a chap commenting on demise of Bridge Street and the market etc and mentioning the new the Time Square and River Mersey developments. I really laughed when said that 'some bright spark at the council had decided to tell us which river it is now... and god only knows why'

I'm listening..... who's the Irish bloke talking now and what has he got to do with Warrington?
He is the councillor responsible for finance and lives in Warrington

That'll be Cllr Paul Campbell but he wasn't the one that got the round of applause that was Cllr Peter Carey:wink: .

I thought the debate came across on the radio as a good debate.

Hi Dizzy - below is a link to a document which outlines the Atlantic Gateway vision.

It was 'launched' at Daresbury Laboratory, some time last summer at a presentation and the vision was also described at the WBC Business Conference at Parr Hall in the autumn both of which I attended.

It will more than touch on Warrington and is supported by local councils (Mancheseter are perhaps less favourable) and many businesses as far as I can tell.

It has the potential to have a huge impact on our region in creating jobs as well as an impact on the environment which has to be monitored closely.

http://www.nwda.co.uk/pdf/AG_online.pdf

Geoff, isn't this Atlantic gateway thing all tied up with the second mersey crossing which, when tolls are charged is going to totally gridlock our town? Then with all the cars crawling along, the emissions will go up and the whole toga wearing eco-nonsense will kick in and they will no doubt bring in another green tax to offset the rise in CO2?

or am I just being cynical?? :wink:

I thought they had pulled the plug on the second crossing :?:

that was the second coming.... once everyone wised up to the fact that there isn't some big bloke in the sky that built the universe and then disappeared never to be seen again; except in the odd weeping statue, it sort of killed the magic!!