Local Elections -

observer

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Watercolour:

They had a couple of features on the Politics show today and came across very well for such a young party. :D

Not so young, founded in 1973 as the Ecology Party....in Coventry if my memory serves me correctly.

Actually in the main item I thought he struggled, and that with the benefit of being given an easy interview. The problem they have is that the main political parties have taken up the "green" cause and try to "outgreen" each other, some aspects of environmentalism voters are quite supportive of....what they don't like is it being rammed down their throat.

Originally posted by Dismayed:

....of those who haven't been 'disqualified' :(

Rules Dismayed, rules....that all other candidates managed to abide by.

:D

Actually it is rather worrying that some of those involved are Borough Councillors, and that they can't complete a form correctly.....given that they have guidance notes, no wonder WBC is in a mess.

Would be fun a load of people who didn't fancy the prospect of having to go through the official process to stand for election now contacted the PC to ask if they could put their names forward to be co-opted into the spare seats and then kicked up a fuss when the 'disqualified' members were chosen :D

Nothing to stop them doing that provided they meet the criteria...living in the Ward or within 4.8kms...understand there will be 5 places available. One of those diqualified would have stood down anyway as she was standing in another Ward as well....Hilary Cooksey...used to be ( might still be) Southworth's Election Agent...thought she might have known the rules. :confused:

Originally posted by Paul Kennedy:

Rules Dismayed, rules....that all other candidates managed to abide by.

:D

Actually it is rather worrying that some of those involved are Borough Councillors, and that they can't complete a form correctly.....given that they have guidance notes, no wonder WBC is in a mess.

Rules maybe Paul but as a candidate how would you know how many other people the person nominating you had also nominated ?

Like you say no wonder WBC is in a mess if it's own members can't fill in the forms correctly or be aware of the rules whereas members of the general public manage fine :roll:

Rules maybe Paul but as a candidate how would you know how many other people the person nominating you had also nominated ?

Like you say no wonder WBC is in a mess if it's own members can't fill in the forms correctly or be aware of the rules whereas members of the general public manage fine :roll:

Actually you make a good point, you don't but you should always ask them what other forms they have signed, and actually within a Party, there should be someone, normally the Constituency Agent, who checks the validity of the forms before they are submitted, for the Conservatives in Warrington South it is me, I would have thought Labour have such a person in Warrington.

If forms are submitted in plenty of time and before the deadline there will alway be the opportunity to redo them should there be mistakes, I can only assume the disqualified papers were handed in at the last minute.

Certainly does LF. Indeed many Parish Councillors have never fought an election, many have been returned unopposed and quite a number have been co-opted. I think Lymm has a good track record of having PC elections, and indeed in Appleton this time three of the four wards are being contested, which is good to see not least because some new people are entering the fray.

Originally posted by Watercolour:

As for the greens I'm sure that Shelly willl let you know how.

Probably the best way to find out about us if you can't come to the walk is to come along to our meeting this Monday. No need to join. We are a very friendly group and everyone is welcome. I suppose I can't buy you a drink, because that would be treating, but there's sure to be plenty of good discussion and answers to your questions. Meetings are held at 7:00 pm every 3rd Monday of the month in the back room of the Bull?s Head Public House on Church Street in Warrington.

[ 15.04.2008, 08:54: Message edited by: Shelley ]

Hey that's in the North where I live, mind you we usually have our Parish meetings on the third Monday of the month but I think the date has been changed this month. People might even think that I am defecting you know how they like to speculate on this site :wink:

Will you be discussing the conservation issues surrounding Church Street? Community News reports

Conserving the town centre

CONSERVATION areas in Church Street and Buttermarket Street Thursday, 8 March 2007

The aim of conservation areas is to safeguard the character of whole areas, which includes buildings, street networks and spaces between buildings.

Councillors are set to consider the current status of the two areas and suggestions for improvements.

It is proposed that both areas are to remain as conservation areas but with additional improvements including the following:

Church Street:

Tackle unauthorised advertising

Ensure that highway repairs and improvements are carried out

Reduce street clutter

Boundary changes include the bowling green behind the Bulls Head public house and the factory site behind 21-23 Church Street.

Does anyone know what the outcome was?

[ 15.04.2008, 09:13: Message edited by: Watercolour ]

They know they'd be slagged off at the door, or asked awkward questions they can't answer. :? Nowadays, it's all done on the phone, and all they want to know is - "will you be voting for them"? :roll: If NO - your written off. :shock: If YES - your included in their data base, ready for more mailing/phoning to "Get Out The Vote". :roll: It's now a purely clinical and mathmatical exercise, allowed by the incapacity of the voters to switch from their traditional voting patterns - a fact that is taken for granted by the three main parties. :x