Census

asperity

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand that Obs, but I don't see why it is incumbent on us to provide translation services. These people come here and join communities of fellow countrymen already established here, and who must have mastered the rudiments of the language to have survived. :wink::wink:

I understand that Obs, but I don't see why it is incumbent on us to provide translation services. These people come here and join communities of fellow countrymen already established here, and who must have mastered the rudiments of the language to have survived. :wink::wink:

They have Asp.... they learn words like "Benefits" and "Social Services"..... :lol:

Well after reading that Lt K I'm a little bit worried now . I didn't know it was a US Company (but then again other countries probably already have most of our into anyway)

Weren't AOL American and didn't someone working for them sell all their customer details on :?

Anyway the statements in your article which concerned me a little were things like

...........concerns about data security, following recent data lost by HM Revenue and Customs and the DVLA, which used a US sub-contractor to process learner driver forms.

............"Some of the arrangements that would be made would ensure that data was owned and kept within the UK.

......... Ms Eagle said UK-based firms would carry out the census contract on behalf of Lockheed Martin and she was "pretty confident" :? there would be robust safeguards on the security of data.

...........The company's chances of landing the contract would be affected if there were concerns about confidentiality, she told the MPs.

...........Asked whether there would be a clause in the contract forbidding personal information being sent out of the UK at all, she said she would write to the committee in confidence.

Mmmm :oops:

I'm 'pretty confident' that I am very 'robust' Peter ....in fact I was also 'pretty confident' that my 'robust' computer security would not allow the any 'chance' of the infringement of my online safety or data... and I was also 'pretty confident' that the 'robust' security on my home would not have allowed a 'chance' intrusion by a third party some year ago ... but alas I was wrong on all counts :lol:

So if that is anything to go by I suggest that people DO NOT fill their census returns in :wink:

I'll shut up now as there is a strong 'chance' I am merely rambling just for the sake of it.... and I'm 'pretty confident' that that is the case :lol::oops::roll:

Maybe I should just go and fill the census form in although it would be 13 days early.......

13 days is that bad luck :shock::shock:

Well folks just to let you know ours is filled in and was posted on Sunday, thought I'd better send it early in case our ultra efficient postal service delayed it, so I'm expecting a phone call on the 28th to ask if we had anyone else staying overnight on the27th. Hee, Hee! :lol::lol::wink:

The results of this census could provide some facts on demographics. EG. the distribution of ethnic minorities - the producer of "Midsummer Murders" has just upset the PC Brigade by claiming the absence of black faces in his fictional village reflects the essential "Englishness" of a rural village. :roll:

The results of this census could provide some facts on demographics. EG. the distribution of ethnic minorities - the producer of "Midsummer Murders" has just upset the PC Brigade by claiming the absence of black faces in his fictional village reflects the essential "Englishness" of a rural village. :roll:

Australia says NO - Second time she has done this !

Prime Minister Julia Gillard - Australia

She's done it again..

She sure isn't backing down on her hard line stance and one has to appreciate her belief in the rights of her native countrymen..

A breath of fresh air to see someone lead. I wish some leaders would step up in Canada,USA & UK ..

This woman should be appointed Queen of the World.. Truer words have never been spoken.

It took a lot of courage for this woman to speak what she had to say for the world to hear. The retribution could be phenomenal, but at least she was willing to take a stand on her and Australia 's beliefs..

The whole WORLD needs a leader like this!

Prime Minister Julia Gillard says -

Muslims who want to live under Islamic Sharia law were told on Wednesday to get out of Australia , as the government targeted radicals in a bid to head off potential terror attacks..

Separately, Gillard angered some Australian Muslims on Wednesday by saying she supported spy agencies monitoring the nation's mosques.

Quote:

'IMMIGRANTS, NOT AUSTRALIANS, MUST ADAPT.. Take It Or Leave It.

I am tired of this nation worrying about whether we are offending some individual or their culture. Since the terrorist attacks on Bali , we have experienced a surge in patriotism by the majority of Australians. '

'This culture has been developed over two centuries of struggles, trials and victories by millions of men and women who have sought freedom'

'We speak mainly ENGLISH, not Spanish, Lebanese, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or any other language. Therefore, if you wish to become part of our society ... Learn the language!'

'Most Australians believe in God. This is not some Christian, right wing, political push, but a fact, because Christian men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is clearly documented. It is certainly appropriate to display it on the walls of our schools. If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another part of the world as your new home, because God is part of our culture.'

'We will accept your beliefs, and will not question why. All we ask is that you accept ours, and live in harmony and peaceful enjoyment with us.'

'This is OUR COUNTRY, OUR LAND, and OUR LIFESTYLE, and we will allow you every opportunity to enjoy all this. But once you are done complaining, whining, and griping about Our Flag, Our Pledge, Our Christian beliefs, or Our Way of Life, I highly encourage you take advantage of one other great Australian freedom, 'THE RIGHT TO LEAVE'.'

'If you aren't happy here then LEAVE. We didn't force you to come here. You asked to be here. So accept the country YOU accepted.'

Not really relevant but I found this rather interesting.

When the 1911 census was done many women boycotted it :shock::wink:

The 1911 census and the suffragettes

Frustrated with the government?s refusal to grant women the vote, a large number of women boycotted the 1911 census by refusing to be counted.

There were two forms of protest. In the first, the women (or their husband) refused to fill in the form, often recording their protest to the enumerator.

In the second, women evaded the census by staying away from their home for the whole night.

In both cases, any details relating to individual women in the households will be missing from the census.

For the family historian the active refusal to fill in the form (accompanied by a protest statement) at least registers the presence of a woman/women in the household, whereas the women who evaded the count are simply untraceable via the census.

The exact number of women who boycotted the census is not known, though some people have estimated that it may be as many as several thousand.

One suffragette taking part in the boycott arranged by the Women?s Freedom League wrote: ?If I am intelligent enough to fill in this paper, I am intelligent enough to put a cross on a voting paper.?

Another glued a poster over the form stating: ?No votes for women, no census.? A piece of paper stuck to the form suggests that the women stayed away from households where the census was taken to attend a protest in Trafalgar Square.

The public protest was reported in The Times on April 3, 1911, but its full extent remained hidden to the public. The report, headlined ?A suffragist ?campaign? of resistance?, observed that almost all of those present at the Trafalgar Square protest were men. Women were granted the right to vote seven years later, although they were not given equal voting rights until 1928.

Frustratingly, the extent of the protest still remains hidden, because The Times doesn?t go into any more details about, say, how many census forms were spoiled in protest. (According to the 1911census.co.uk there is no definitive figure because, for example, many women simply evaded the census - but it estimates that ?several thousand? took part).

Wonder if that is why I've struggled to find some info on the 1911 census :lol:

Julia is a legend......

I hope all of you councillors that look in on this little forum take note; it is not racist to expect immigrants to adapt to our culture. WBC should not be paying thousands of pounds in translation fees and thousands of pounds giving benefits to foreigners who do not deserve it.... we have always; as a country taken our fair share of the worlds troubles.

We sorted out Germany twice in two wars don't forget, but The PC brigades of the last 13 years should hang their heads in shame for what they have brought us to......

The people of this country are slowly waking up to the fact that not only are we the dumping ground for every sob story laden immigrant and cause in the world, not only are we continuing to support every sob story laden country in the world with overseas aid and money we don't have, but we are being increasingly dictated to by even more foreigners in Europe..... and handing over money to them while we make drastic cutbacks at home

The people of this country have had enough.... let us have our country and our money back and leave us to sort our own problems out before we worry about anyone else please!

It's not just the immigrants though.

News today reported that there are around 181,000 illegal migrants still in the country with expired visas who should have left within the last 2 years.. :?

Guess they wont be filling in their census returns either but at least the government have an estimated number of them :roll:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20110315/tuk-up-to-181-000-migrants-in-uk-illegal-45dbed5.html

Why is it that these ethnic minorities can have their own TV channels their own radio station and god knows how many foreign language and other English excluding things on radio and TV?

Then, typically, as soon as something comes along which doesn't include a black or brown face, they are all up in arms flashing the race card!! Maybe I should now complain about having programmes on BBC radio and TV stations which exclude me because I don't speak urdu

The PC creed is to directly reflect ethnic and gender proportionality in ALL professions and institutions, regardless of ability. The BBC is at the forefront, presenting positive images of ethnic diversity by increasing their proportion, especially on programmes directed at the young and impressionable viewer. Thus creating cohorts of liberal luvvies to continue the good work! :wink: