Removed to prevent copyright infringement

algy

We need places like that in the last picture to teach kids practical skills....

Why waste time just teaching them sport when practical skills like how to change a plug or how to change a spark plug or tune a sky box are far more useful in life

We need places like that in the last picture to teach kids practical skills....

Why waste time just teaching them sport when practical skills like how to change a plug or how to change a spark plug or tune a sky box are far more useful in life

Baz you won't like this but....

a friend of mine, up until January taught building and bricklaying to kids who were struggling academically and would probably end up expelled or whatever. Apparently it was not only successful but popular too.

He was axed by the Tories hatchet job on Britain.

getting back to the subject, again Algy you blow me away. I love the rickety,tumbledown slate roofs in the first pic. The characters in the second image are absolutely brilliant but number 4 is such a powerful and evocative image. It stops me in my my tracks and makes me think, as all great photos and paintings should.

Many thanks for sharing.

1887BridgeStwiththePacketHousebottomright.jpg

1887. Bridge Street, the Packet house public house bottom right.

1887BridgeStreetbeforewidening001.jpg

1887. bridge Street before the widening of the street.

1884FergusonsForgeinRylandStreet.jpg

1884. The staff of Feruson's Forge, Rylands street.

1884BuildingstobedemolishedonthewestsideofBridgeStreettothejunctionwithFriarsGa.jpg

1884. These buildings on the west side of bridge Street at the junction with Friars Gate would soon to be demolished to enable the street to be widened, completed in 1908.

Superb photos. Particularly like the one of the forge staff. looks as though it is from a Monty Python sketch. The chap looking like a police Inspector on the far left and the guy looking like Sherlock Holmes on the right with Dr Watson holding the horse.

"Yes Lestrade this is the gang that nobbled the queens horse in the two thirty at Chepstow"

It is very rare to see what passes as a smile on people's faces on old photos. Were people told by the photographers not to smile in those days or was it just that it took so long to take a photo that they got fed up?

All the old photos we have of relatives are the same too... no-one ever smiling :?

Another question maybe for PJ..... in the image of Cross's shop the faces of two people were blurred althought the child was ok and you explained that this was because of the exposure times and use of plates etc so in the above images would all the kids and others have stood perfectly still or had cameras and technology moved on slightly by then?

Dizzy,

you are right about the people standing still for photos and I'm sure they got fed up. Its easier to pose for a while with a straight face than a smile I think. Most of the people in the shots are posing, quite unnatural to be honest but I think it looks great. The exposure times were generally quite long and a photograph was an expensive treat back then so a serious business. The little girl in the picture you mention was probably stiller than the grown ups hence clearer. The technology was changing all the time back then too Dizzy but I'm no historian sorry.