Removed to prevent copyright infringement

algy

PJ thanks for your comments, I have accumulated over a thousand pictures of old Warrington and the surounding areas from 1850 to 1930, I intend posting a few each day whenever possible, until someone objects that is, the quality of some are not brilliant although I suppose that like today they are soley dependant on the equipment and skills of the individual at that moment in time.

Indy, they moved slightly whist the image was being exposed, hence the blurred effect of people but not the inanimate objects within the image. In the 1800's when the photo was taken it took a lot longer to properly expose an image than it does now because they had to use chemically treated plates etc. I for one feels it adds to the beauty of the capture and the photographers talent and vision.

Lovely photo's Algy. I've seen the one of the shop before and there is something about it that it has always made it stick in my mind.

I oten wonder if they did climb up ladders ever day to put up and take down their goods or whether they just left the higher goods and trusted people not to pinch them.

I've god a small booklet in amongst all my mums books which shows the menu rations from the workhouse. Really interesting to read.