Cop out -

observer

Watched a prog about the police going to great lengths to catch drivers using mobile phones on thr M/Way, even to the point of using an HGV to observe HGV drivers - fair enough. But when a copper is driving around the Town in his Panda, are they allowed to observe the antics around them and stop offenders? I pulled up at some lights today, and noticed in my rear view mirror, that the girl behind had her head down - presumably texting or adjusting her love balls - needless to say, the lights changed, I zoomed off, and she was stuck there holding up the traffic behind her. Now, surely coppers come across this sort of thing - so why don't they do the offenders? :?

Well whatever she was doing, at least she was doing it while stopped. In any case you cant ?do? people for stuff like that.

Hands up anyone who?s sat at the lights and hasn?t noticed them changing.

Second thought hands down everyone in case Obs has us all locked up. :lol::lol::lol:

Bill :)

But if you want to talk about not responding, how about the attempted bank robbery they showed on telly the other night where the old lady with her handbag flying saw off all five robbers.

Nobody appeared to be doing anything, in fact the footage was taken using a mobile phone but why wasn?t the person ringing the police or even just shouting out?

Only when it was all over did people start coming forward.

That woman deserves a medal!

Bill :)

In any case you cant ?do? people for stuff like that.

"Driving without due care and attention" ????

Probably the most dangerous driving offence on our roads!

I would have thought dangerous driving was more dangerous.

And drink driving and driving whilst under the influence of drugs etc.

surely she was only waiting without due care and attention. :wink:

Reminds me of an incident when I was much younger. I was a passenger in a car with a mate who ,lets say, was not the most tolerant man when it came to women drivers. We stopped behind a woman in her car at a set of lights at a crossroad. She instantly got out her make up bag, dropped her sun visor with mirror, and began to make herself more lovely with brushes and lipstick etc. For some reason this really riled my mildly mysogynist mate and he said "here watch this" the lights were still on red but he gave a loud blast on his horn. Without checking the woman in front waved 2 fingered into her rear view mirror and shot out into oncoming traffic causing herself and 3 other cars to slam on narrowly avoiding a serious accident. I was absolutely horrified but had there been a serious crash who's fault would it have been in the eyes of the law?

I'm pretty sure there is almost no offence, either driving without due care and attention or it's sister clause, driving without reasonable consideration for other road users.

Driving is the key word but I believe that literally you are driving if the engine is running.

Pretty sure you would only get booked if you were stroppy with the policeman - and then it would almost certainly never get to court.

Poor old policemen can't win. If they are over zealous they get criticised and if........

Happy days

The "poor old policeman" can't win, cos he's trying to be (or rather their superiors) all things to all people. They have a phrase nowadays - "policing with consent" - which allows them to cherry pick which laws to enforce, to avoid upsetting "the public" and preserve their "friendly image". Well, in theory - laws are made "with the (at least majority) consent of "the people"through the democratic election of "law makers", and the consequence of any "law" is that it requires compliance and enforcement to ensure compliance. A vehicle can be just as lethal as a gun if driven without due care, and imo, focusing on a text conservation whilst at the wheel warrants the loss of one's licence. :x

Thought she was stationary. No-one supports the theory about road dangers more than myself who spent 30 years mostly at the sharp end.

The policeman cannot win. He is criticised whichever way he jumps. I spent the same 30 years cherry picking which offenders to jump on, so that is nothing new. I was preserving my friendly image rather more then than my modern counterpart.

As for enforcing the law, there are simply too many to enforce. Hanging washing in the backs or beating carpets outside are still on the statute book as far as I am aware.

Happy days

It's not just the laws Obs, it's the guidelines they issue to the police, judges etc.

Only today yet another judge is saying he couldn't send a repeat offender to prison cos of the guidelines.

I was in charge of shot-gun licenses in Warrington when they first came out. It wsan't the law but the guidelines and bumpf which came with the act.

Happy days

In any case you cant ?do? people for stuff like that.

"Driving without due care and attention" ????

Probably the most dangerous driving offence on our roads!

I would have thought dangerous driving was more dangerous.

And drink driving and driving whilst under the influence of drugs etc.

Driving with due care is far, far more common than both dangerous and drunk driving. Far more accidents are caused by the "I didn't see him coming", "I was distracted by the kids playing up", "I was only changing the CD", "I didn't expect that to happen" and "I thought I had right of way" brigades than are caused by drunks or idiots.

In my book, that makes careless driving or driving without due care a more dangerous behaviour overall.

surely she was only waiting without due care and attention. :wink:

If you can get done for eating a Kit Kat whilst at the lights, then you can get done for being away with the fairies!