New Mersey Bridge

algy

I don?t think that bridge will do much for Warrington at all.

Here?s a couple of pictures lifted from Google maps that show OUR last bridge over the Mersey in Warrington.

bridge1.jpg

bridge2.jpg

My thinking is why build a whacking great high level bridge where the rivers at its widest when we can build a simple bridge like this of a fraction of the cost.

Bill :)

Warrington is in need of a new river crossing to alleviate traffic congestion in the town, this costly project will not help us.

algy the new bridge isn't being built to help us. It's main purpose is to provide a link between the M56 and Liverpool City.

The existing bridge will be used for local and public transportation and will mean that the people of Halton will have to pay to get to other parts of the same borough albeit on opposite sides of the river.

If you're upset, imagine how they feel.

The new bridge is part of the Mersey Gateway Project which is in turn part of the huge international Atlantic Gateway Project.

The overall aim is to provide a direct link for future traffic including that between Panamax (Liverpool), Port Warrington, Port Salford, Port Wirral, 3 MG Widnes and the Mersey Gateway Port at Runcorn (and others that I've probably forgotton to mention) and this link goes past the outskirts of Warrington not through it.

The new bridge wont really make a jot of difference to us on a daily basis and our roads will be just as bad if not worse :roll:

Only difference it may make is when the Runcorn Widnes Bridge is closed as there will at least be an alternative to traffic being diverted through Warrington town centre

The new bridge wont really make a jot of difference to us on a daily basis and our roads will be just as bad if not worse :roll:

Only difference it may make is when the Runcorn Widnes Bridge is closed as there will at least be an alternative to traffic being diverted through Warrington town centre

Since both the new bridge and the - already paid for - old one will become toll bridges then I think we can look forward to lots more traffic diverting through Warrington on a much more regular basis.

Maybe the only answer is to put high tolls on all the Warrington bridges and use the money to give Warrington residents a big rebate on their council tax! (If only we could rely on said rebate actually turning up)

Algy

We don't need to make em high because unlike Widnes and Runcorn, we alread have a load of low level swing bridges to cross the canal. The span by the way is mainly needed for the Mersey not the canal.

So if we're talking about a crossing for Warrington then it's dead easy, we only need a small low level bridge. In fact the one in my pictures could probably be used to dramatically reduce the traffic flow at bridge foot.

A quick google turns up a couple of news articles in which Halton councillors are quoted as having promised toll discounts to local residents using the old bridge.

The level of the discount is not specified, but since the level of the toll is also being kept secret then it'd be meaningless information anyway.

Those behind this scheme are saying the tolls will be "in line with" those of the Mersey tunnels - which are currently among the most expensive river crossing tolls in the country - but then the Toll Order has been granted specifying a maximum toll of ?5 each way for cars and ?20 for HGV's. That's an extra ?50 a week cost for anyone who currently commutes that way! For that sort of money, lots of people will divert round via Warrington or the M6.

What they should do is introduce a toll on the existing bridge now and see what happens. :shock:

That way there can be no argument as to whether or not people will use Warrington avoid paying the toll. :roll:

This information could well affect the viability of the whole scheme. :!:

There is no argument now about people using Warrington to avoid the tolls. It wasn't in the equation.

As I previously mentioned the new bridge is primarily to provide a link between the M56 and Liverpool and had to be paid for via tolls.

To prevent people avoiding the tolls on the new bridge they will also be placed on the old one. That is the only avoidance scheme that was looked at and considered.

and had to be paid for via tolls.

Given that motorists already pay far more in taxes than is spent on the whole of the UK's transport infrastructure - including airports, buses, trains, and some of the highest levels of direct rail fare subsidies this county has ever seen.

What possible justification can there be for making a much needed new route subject to an additional cost??????

Did you notice the cycle lane on the Forrest Way bridge! (second picture ) :lol::lol::lol:

The thing is if they don?t get it right regarding toll avoidance, then it'll be left for the taxpayer to indirectly pick up the cost, be it from taxes or loss incurred through a private sale.

If the M6 toll is anything to go by, more drivers appear to prefer sitting in a traffic jam on the free road than paying to use the toll!

I would have thought that the haulage companies are going to do everything possible to avoid paying tolls with the current sky high petrol prices.

It really doesn't bode well for Warrington.

Did you notice the cycle lane on the Forrest Way bridge! (second picture )

It is the route of the Transpennine Trail though - you know, that coast-to-coast walking and cycling leisure trail :)

and the buggers probably still ride 3 abreast on the roads !

It is an accepted fact that tolling these bridges will increase traffic through Warrington.

What we should be asking is why the LTP makes no mention of it and /or a solution for it?

Perhaps WBC isn't clever enough? They aren't renowned for making decisions, just destruction.

If the M6 toll is anything to go by, more drivers appear to prefer sitting in a traffic jam on the free road than paying to use the toll!

I would have thought that the haulage companies are going to do everything possible to avoid paying tolls with the current sky high petrol prices.

A colleague and I recently both had to be in Warwick for a meeting at 10am on a Monday morning. Probably the worst time of the week to be getting past Birmingham! We ended up almost together on the M6 going south through Stoke and down to Stafford, but he took the toll road while I stuck with the old M6.

He arrived at our Warwick office just over 5 minutes ahead of me.

That's ?5 spent to save 5 minutes. Who values their time at ?60 per hour?

Or ?120 per hour if you're driving an HGV!

That's ?5 spent to save 5 minutes. Who values their time at ?60 per hour?

Many people value their time at even higher a rate than this, myself I value good service and punctuality when dealing with a customer much higher than a fiver and certainly don't consider the gamble through Birmingham rush hour sensible or worthwhile if it means I may end up letting that customer down or keeping him waiting.