Sat Navs - Do you trust them ?

Dizzy

Very sad story in the news this week about a little girl who died after a sat nav directed her learner driver dad to turn right at a junction into oncoming traffic.

OK, so I presume there must have been a sign saying no right turn but it just made me wonder how many people actually trust their sat navs so much that maybe they are distracted by it or may not take full notice of signs etc simply because they put their trust in a little machine which 'tells' them where to go. :?

Great little bit of kit as long as you remember they are not infallible, only two weeks ago mine directed me through a hospital carpark in Stockport that I was not looking for, when I eventually arrived at my chosen destination and recounted my experience to someone they said that exactly the same thing had happened to another customer the day previously, theirs had been a TomTom mine a Garmin. The aspect of satnav's I'm not keen on, you arrive at your destination not really aware of how you got there.

What appalled me in this incident is the fact that, although the person was turning right, across a traffic lane, he couldn't see that vehicles coming towards him were travelling at speed. Did he (or the passenger) not see any other traffic and wait to see that it was safe to continue?

A sat nav doesn't tell you if it is safe to continue, wherever you are driving, that is the responsibility of the driver and supervisor.

Last year I had almost the same thing happen at the end of the M57. My gut feelings told me I needed to go left but the SatNav insisted I went right which put me onto the M58 going the wrong way. Turns out that the road layout had changed and the SatNav hadn?t been updated.

I tend not to use them but increasingly I?m finding myself getting lost these days. I?m sure some councils must adopt a policy of if you want to know where you?re going then get a SatNav and don?t expect us to put signs up. :roll::lol:

Bill :)

Have only ever used one once and almost threw it out of the window in frustration at the nagging voice insisting that I turn round as it wanted me to go fifteen miles out of my way to use a 1mile stretch of motorway that i had just passed under. I only needed it to show me where the last few miles led me as I was unsure of exactly where the location was. I knew the first three quarters of the route no problem but just needed to get the last bit right as it was a bit complicated even with a route plotted on the web.

I can honestly say that I will not be investing in one any time soon. :?8)

Have only ever used one once and almost threw it out of the window in frustration at the nagging voice insisting that I turn round as it wanted me to go fifteen miles out of my way to use a 1mile stretch of motorway that i had just passed under. I only needed it to show me where the last few miles led me as I was unsure of exactly where the location was. I knew the first three quarters of the route no problem but just needed to get the last bit right as it was a bit complicated even with a route plotted on the web.

I can honestly say that I will not be investing in one any time soon. :?8)

Sid that has happened to me also when I had it set on quickest route rather than nearest route mode.