Slides to CD?

Peter T

Depends really, I'd guess you could get this service at somewhere like Boots or Jessops, but if you've got lots of slides, prints and/or negatives, this looks like a handy peice of kit:

http://www.boots.com/en/Pics-2-SD-Photo-Slide-film-scanner_1160151/

A quick Google finds these:

http://www.digiscanltd.com/slide_scanning.php?gclid=CIiWhqK_8aYCFQse4QodBA-WGQ

http://www.easyslidescanning.com/?gclid=CNDbicu_8aYCFQJO4QodJDtbGw

http://www.1scan.co.uk/page20/faqs.htm

A cheap tip?

Carefully tape the negative to a window or a light with a diffuser (eg. Tracing paper or even a computer screen witha white background).

If you have a digital camera, set to macro and for best results use a tripod and get close to neg? as possible.

Then transfer to computer, use an editing software (photoshop etc) then using the filters etc, invert the neg? increase the dpi to above 2000 or higher and hopefully you will an image stored for future reference.

Clever stuff Algy, I'm rather impressed :wink:

I had to google what a 35mm slide looked like but I'm sure my scanner came with an additional piece of kit for scanning negatives and slides. Scanners right beside me but I rarely use it as I have an all in one.

I never used the other bit I will see if I can find it tomorrow and it you are welcome to borrow it Peter .

Peter

I have had similar problems in the past and purchased various pieces of equipment, including a Sony slide-to-video device, but found none of them preserved the original quality. A proper neg scanner, such as the Epson Coolscan which we used to use at WWW prior to the arrival of digital cameras, would do the job.

But, quite frankly, unless you have a massive amount of time on your hands, if you have a lot of slides you would do better to go into Wildings like I eventually did. They did a superb job.

I have an even more difficult problem now - how to transfer some ancient 2. 1/4" sq slides onto disc. I find the commercial operators don't want to bother with anything this ancient - or charge the earth if they do. I think I might try one of Sue's suggestions 'cos I only have a few to do.

Incidentally, don't you think this topic is a fine example of the Forum at its best. The lengths some people have gone to help is amazing. Well done everyone!

Posted a scanner to Peter today...... It might not be the highest resolution available, but at least it means that you can at least get an image from them to keep for posterity!!

Hope it does what you need it to do Peter!

Thank you. I am looking forward to using it. I got some batteries for the hand viewer and it works. Found pictures of my sister aged 11.

Yes DS. The technical response on the Forum is excellent. Isn't it time that you joined our camera club?

Hope Baz's scanner is better than mine... if it is can I borrow it next :D:lol:

After you asked the question Peter I dug out my old scanner and also found the accessories and decided to have a play.

Over an hour later I finally got it all working and scanned two negatives which took about 15 minutes and although they did scan ok and look like real photos the quality was really naff :cry:

I know they were naff cos I had the actual printed photo to compare it too.

Maybe Algy can make me one of his inventions for negatives :D

Hope Baz's scanner is better than mine... if it is can I borrow it next :D:lol:

After you asked the question Peter I dug out my old scanner and also found the accessories and decided to have a play.

Over an hour later I finally got it all working and scanned two negatives which took about 15 minutes and although they did scan ok and look like real photos the quality was really naff :cry:

I know they were naff cos I had the actual printed photo to compare it too.

Maybe Algy can make me one of his inventions for negatives :D

Dizz. I dont think photographing a negative would produce the same quality results as it would with a slide, I found these instructions on the net, the key to success lies with the resolution settings of your scanner (dpi). go here for a detailed explanation.

http://forums.techguy.org/digital-photography-imaging/144731-scanner-dpi-how-much-enough.html

Produce beautiful colour or black and white photos by scanning negatives in a flatbed scanner. Recreate lost photos or make copies of existing photos.

Difficulty: Moderate

Instructions

Things You'll Need:

* Photo negatives

* Scanner that has transparency option

* Scanning software

* Image manipulation software

Choose the right scanner. The scanner should have a transparency option. The better the quality of scanner, the better the results. The best option is a scanner with a slide and negative scan built in.

Clean the negative strip. Use a soft brush or cloth to remove dust, dirt and fingerprints. This will save time later when removing blemishes.

Choose the appropriate scanner settings for the best quality. This will depend on the scanner being used. Be familiar with the settings or have the instruction manual near.

Scan at a high resolution. Since negatives are small, the image will need to be enlarged later. It will be a much clearer image if it is scanned with a high resolution. As a general rule, double the mount of pixels for double the size of enlarging. For example, an 8.5x11 image will have double the pixels of a 4x6 image.

Save the file in the proper format. Either save as a TIFF file or a JPEG. A TIFF file will retain the most detail since there is no compression but will take up much more storage space on the hard drive of the computer.

Edit the picture with the image altering software. Adobe Photoshop is the most popular and has countless tools and options. Turn the images into positive whether black and white or color. All software does this differently.