What are you listening to right now?

fugtifino

Mary, Excellent choice. I once attended a college where the student union juke box had a selection of quiet. For your dime or quarter thee would be 2.5 to 3.5 minutes of silence, a disk with no noise upon it. What a brilliant thought. Too many people insist that other people enjoy the noises that they like or admire.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

I am listening to Garce Griffith’s recording of Sailing because of Marcy’s comments about my posting on the American Tune CD by Eva Cassidy.

Marcy Marxer says:

Hi Mr GF, Glad you like Dark Eyed Molly. That was actually me on tinwhistle...and guitar, and bouzouki, and more. Keith plays electric guitar.

Check out Grace Griffith's recordings if you want to hear more of that whistle. Also mostly on Blix St. Records.

All the Best,

Marcy Marxer

This is my review of American Tune

American Tune

and the CD I am now listening to

Sailing

It’s a great compilation of her work.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my latest review on Amazon of the CD that I am listening to

Review

Last week I received the following email about an Amazon review I had written back I think in 2003 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R3UR11G21TMBUL) about American Tune by Eva Cassidy.

‘Hi Mr GF, Glad you like Dark Eyed Molly. That was actually me on tinwhistle...and guitar, and bouzouki, and more. Keith plays electric guitar. Check out Grace Griffith's recordings if you want to hear more of that whistle. Also mostly on Blix St. Records. All the Best, Marcy Marxer’ check out her own web site and click and play Marchy is so versatile.

Anyway back to the review - I took a look on Amazon and chose the compilation ‘Sailing’ one week later and I’m still playing it every day – fantastic.

What a lovely CD with lots of great songs and surprises along the way, wonderful mix of instruments cropping up on each track. Where else would you get a Celtic Harp, synthesiser, banjo, guitar, pennywhistle, mandolin, accordion, stand up, acoustic bass, harp, piano, congas, steel drums and aboriginal clapping sticks and a great voice and harmonies. It is a compilation of her work and what a fantastic introduction her world. As with many CDs I would have liked the words printed in the sleeve to sing along and study because there are so many great songs with wonderful meanings.

1. Wondering where the lions are – great sing along song for the kids – romantic mystical and great playing – picking the notes cleanly and crisply, reminded me of Magna Cater from the Seventies in places for the playing. Features Marcy on mandolin and steel drums.

2. Shape of my heart - Deals the cards to find the answer – spades souls of a soldier – club are weapons of war diamond money for this art – but that’s not the shape of my heart. Really thoughtful song and Macy is there again on percussion this time.

3. My life the best track for me – really puts your life in perspective and makes you reflect on your worth and what you can and do bring out in yourself and others.

4. Bounty by the Beauty – loved the congas – didn’t know what they had to look them up on the web. Marcy on Indian prayer bells, aboriginal clapping sticks and percussion.

5. Ripples in the Rock Pool - Brilliant Irish type gig reminding of all that is great on the other side of the Emerald Isle – you just can’t stop your feet tapping away and joining – you’ll be tapping away again at the end of the final track.

6. Carry You - Everything slows down in a mellow way with lovely guitar and harmony the theme triggers thoughts of the Robert Louis Stevenson Poem.

7. Swallow Song - Beautifully sung with lovely guitar playing and accompaniment by the cello

8. The Cuckoo – banjo – by Cathy Fink – in reply to the fiddle accompaniment

9. Songs of the seals – Haunting sound of the sea – starts a bit like Judy Collins amazing grace but then you are lost into a mystic voyage across the sea. Celtic Harp and synthesiser.

10. Sailing/Ships Are Sailing – brilliant version of the Rod Stewart classic followed by a foot stomping tune.

11. The last Leviathan – simply vocals supreme – giving a sad end of the last of the world’s great whales – leaves you thinking.

It’s no wonder that Eva Cassidy loved listening to her perform and with a great selection of backing singers and instrumentals a great CD and thanks Marcy for taking time to make this recommendation.

Rawhide! I never could stand westerns but every week the family would sit, enthralled, around the tv to watch Rawhide. Never could understand why. To me the best part of the program was the signature tune. If I remember correctly it starred a young Clint Eastwood.

Correct. Rowdy Yates. :wink:

Rawhide! I never could stand westerns but every week the family would sit, enthralled, around the tv to watch Rawhide. Never could understand why. To me the best part of the program was the signature tune. If I remember correctly it starred a young Clint Eastwood.

Cleopatra, where's your soul?

Westerns are great escapism but some like Soldier Blue portray how the white man slaughtered the Indians.

Ok so should I join in and own up.... what the heck :unsure::lol:

Well I was listening to Rodney Carrington earlier who sings songs about chicken's, mums and likes to see things :oops::lol:

Then someone who's name I wont mention as he was a little rude but has a great voice ... dare I post a link later errr NO best not.

And now I'm listening to few of Toby Keith's (singer and nothing rude) while waiting for my very slow 'slow cooker' to finish it's task.

So as Toby would say "How do you like me now" cos "I love this Bar" and being able to "Get Drunk And Be Somebody" :wink:

Ooooh I am a bit odd at times musically but hey I'm rockin' and that's what music is all about and who knows I may finish up in town tomorrow night buying a pint for 20p armed with my geeetarrr :wink:

Not actually listening to these at this very moment but shall be later, some of my favorites are:-

Excerpt from a teenage opera - Keith West

My name is Jack - Manfred Mann's Earth Band

No more Lonely Nights - Paul Mccartney

Gimme hope Joanna - Eddy Grant

Rhythm of the rain - The Cascades

Another brick in the wall - Pink Floyd

The list is endless but must stop now as I'm beginning to bore myself. :roll:

PS. Still can't find anyone who remembers the children's radio show "the Glub(b?) Dub(b?) of Slub(b?), beginning to think I have dreamt it.

• 3 weeks later...

In between listening to the 'missus' wittering on to our daughter on the phone, you'd think they hadn't seen each other for months, we were there yesterday, much to my son in laws dismay she informed him of the ManU result while he was recording it and had managed up to that point to not to know what it was, so she's not exactly flavor of the month with him, anyhow I have been listening to another of my favorite songs - extended version.

You big softie Algy :wink:

I've never heard that version although I've heard the orig of course. How bizarre but although spiders are mentioned in yours I rather like it. Maybe I will see spidies a differently now.

Do you think your wife may stay on the phone longer so she doesn't have to listen to your music :lol: