POTHOLES - They are coming back again

Dizzy

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My new job of Local Pothole Spotter :lol: I only took a five minute walk and spotted these along on my route on THREE side roads :?

Same road as my original photo (ie West Avenue, Stockton Heath near the village and primary school) A frequently used road due to location.

Well the road surface just seems to be breaking up everywhere now.

pothole2.jpg

pothole7.jpg

pothole6.jpg

Bottom of Osbourne Road, Walton (large but not deep so not that bad really)

potholeosbournerd.jpg

Worsley Road

pothole5.jpg

pothole1.jpg

pothole8.jpg

I hope they don't repair this road (near Roman Road) though as where the surface has been breaking up for some time it is revealing all the old cobbled road surface which seems in good condition and is rather nice. Watch the buggers tarmac over it now I have said that :shock::evil::lol:All the service roads are in a terrible state though so if they do this one they will be expected to do the whole stretch :wink:

pothole4romanrd.jpg

potholeromanrd2.jpg

potholeromanrd3.jpg

according to the statistics here is an average of ten pothole to every mile of roadway. some seem to have about thirty miles worth in a few hundred yards :shock::lol:

did hear a good one on the radio the other day. it said that "drivers should be cautious in some street as there was a pot hole there. the pot hole is about six feet across and six foot deep"

my car would be lost in a pot hole that deep

united utilities don't go down that far to bury the mains water pipes :shock::shock::wink:

Why oh why i diddnt get an offroad motorcycle ill never know.

100% (or a large proportion, cant forget to fund the DVLA) of the VED should go into all roads, at the moment a fraction of the VED goes into motorways and trunk roads, all other roads being of course, maintained by the council. The VED levys need to change, cars older than 51 plate, of course are taxed on a scientific theory. so you get this rediculous situation where a small 50cc moped (motorised pedal bicycle) is paying more tax than some cars! But thats a different debate altogether.

I personally do believe that by tranfering control of local roads from the council to a national body, which builds and maintains roads, funded by the VED, potholes will become almost non existant, and minor roads are at a higher quality (motorway quality). IMO motorists should fund 2 things, primarily the road network, and more controversially public transport.

I tend to agree with you there Ricky. Not enough of the VED which we all pay goes towards the roads and public transport that WE actually use most of the time ie relitavely locally.

However we are stuck with things as they are and the council are responsible. Wonder how much funding they actually get and also how much do they get from S106 agreements etc etc towards roads?

Relying on the council to maintain the local roads is like relying on my son to tidy his room.. it's always on the list of things to do but never actually happens without severe pressure or embarrasement :wink::roll:

However, I stongly disagree with cars older than a 51 plate being put into the new banding scheme :evil: That is totally unfair and my reasons for saying that are pretty straight forward.... both our cars are older that than 51 :wink:

Dizzy, If they do dig up the old cobbled road, can I please have some of the cobbles to replace the ones WBC stole from the end of the road I live in?

If the ones above go missing I'll know who's got them now :lol::wink: Why did the council steal yours :cry:

I nominate Diz as "Pothole Finder General"; so we can sack a few Transport bods at the Council and Diz can be it - all part of the new big society! :wink:

Fine by me Obs and if they give me a little barrow to pull around I'll even temporarily fill them in as I spot them. Might as well only do a temporary job as their so called 'proper' way of doing it doesn't last very long.

Joking aside if they gave me a spray can I could number them and paint a white box round the area for repair and I could also report back with the actual location , size, depth and photo evidence.

This would save their 'highways inspectors' any inconvenience in actually having to go out themselves checking the road surfaces for signs of damage or 'evaluating' ones that have been reported.

And just for you Obs here's a couple more I spotted earlier.. Stetchworth Road (road near the other roads I mentioned).

IMG_1384-1.jpg

I'd just like to add that I am not going out specifically looking for potholes they just seem to be wherever I happen to be walking :oops::shock:

Dizzy

The council binwagon weighed so much with the rubbish they had collected that it loosened the cobbles Before I could cement them back in place the enterprise mob appeared and collected the loose ones and then put tarmac down in the hole thus spoiling the ambience of the road.

Despite my pleas for them to be replaced they claimed they did not have the cobbles and anyway tarmac was better for the bin wagon They alaso said they had no money to actually replace the cobbles.t

I told them they were vandals and this is probably why they took huff. I have a dream that I will obtain some cobbles and replace them oneday.

Oooh what a terrible shame :cry:

If you'd have said a few years ago I could have told you where there was a skip full of old cobbles from the actual Roman road (from the roman era) that runs through the local primary school land.

The archeologists did a big investigation on the site and actually revealed the roman road (cobbles and sandstone edges and all).

It was then covered in a protective film to protect for years to come and then the contractors employed by the council brought in a bloody JCB and dug it all and the protective film up and dumped it in a skip. :twisted: Yep I've got photos of that too :cry:

Anyway.. that's history (or was anyway).

I walk past the ones on my photo every day so if I ever notice that they are being removed you will be the first to know :wink:

However, I stongly disagree with cars older than a 51 plate being put into the new banding scheme :evil: That is totally unfair and my reasons for saying that are pretty straight forward.... both our cars are older that than 51 :wink:

You probably misunderstood me there :), Im calling for a scrap of the new banding system, the new system is a tax on the ammount of carbon dioxide produced from your vehicle, the theory of carbon dioxide changing the climate is just that, a theory, therefore it is wrong to have a tax based on a theory. So now you have this rediculous system where a 2000lb car with 4 wheels pays less tax than 150lb mopeds (with 2 wheels obviously) :roll:

VED should be based on number of wheels, and weight, not on how much plant food it produces :wink:

Do you ride a moped by any chance :lol::lol:

Whilst I agree that the new VED banding system is rather confusing and indeed costly depending on the actual newer vehicle isn't the yearly VED for a moped/motorcycle under 150cc only ?15 :?

As for charging all cars on weight NO NO NO :shock::lol: One of ours (very pre 51 plate) weighs about 2 tons and has a 2.5 diesel engine... we pay around ?112 for 6 months.

Call me selfish... but I'd much rather that they didn't change the way older cars are charged :wink::lol:

haha i am biased towards motorcycles, i did ride a 125cc up until september last year, indeed paying ?15/yr (cue the usual comments from post office staff such as "i wish my road tax was that low", and "6 months or 12? Oh wait, you can only get 12 months, you lucky person* " :lol::lol: ) after september i treated myself to a 500cc, unfortunatley thats ?50/yr :cry: . motorcycles and 3 wheeled vehicles are still banded by engine size "because the European union has'nt told us to measure CO2 from motorcycles yet" was the official reply from 10 Downing Street :lol::lol:

im afraid this is where we differ Dizzy :wink: i believe the more damage a vehicle does to roads, the more it pays. motorcycles <125 should be free, going up to ?50/yr for your goldwings and heavier motorcycles. cars should be under a simlar regieme, heavy vans, busses, HGV's paying more respectivley.

Currently it may only be ?15/yr for mopeds/light motorcycles, but certain "eco cars" get their disc for free, dispite causing more damage to the roads, thats the inequality in my opinion :wink:

*edited by diz as even with the ** it wan't acceptable IMO :oops::wink:

haha i am biased towards motorcycles, i did ride a 125cc up until september last year, indeed paying ?15/yr (cue the usual comments from post office staff such as "i wish my road tax was that low", and "6 months or 12? Oh wait, you can only get 12 months, you lucky "PERSON" (I (Dizzy) edited that bit) :lol::lol: ) after september i treated myself to a 500cc, unfortunatley thats ?50/yr :cry: .

Ha ha you were easy to suss out :lol: ?50 a year is ok. Your a biker at heart and you don't like cars eh (only kidding) :wink:

motorcycles and 3 wheeled vehicles are still banded by engine size "because the European union hasn't told us to measure CO2 from motorcycles yet" was the official reply from 10 Downing Street :lol::lol:

Yes but ?15 or ?50 is nothing to pay yearly so I don't get why you think it is a problem

im afraid this is where we differ Dizzy :wink: i believe the more damage a vehicle does to roads, the more it pays. motorcycles <125 should be free, going up to ?50/yr for your goldwings and heavier motorcycles. cars should be under a simlar regieme, heavy vans, busses, HGV's paying more respectivley.

Yes maybe you are right but then again WHY should the owner of a much heavier car who maybe does a very low mileage over a year (say 5k) be expected to pay OTT VED when compared to the owner of a lighter car who may do 10k, 20k, 30k or more miles a year on the roads. Surely their continued use causes more damage that the heavier car that rarely travells :wink:

Maybe the VED should be calculated on yearly mileage rather than size... but then of course people may do less miles so the government wouldn't rake in as much money via fuel duty :?

Currently it may only be ?15/yr for mopeds/light motorcycles, but certain "eco cars" get their disc for free, dispite causing more damage to the roads, thats the inequality in my opinion :wink:

Aye yer a biker :lol::wink:

Dizzy,

the only flaw in the yearly mileage argument is that it is possible to disconnect the speedo cable and thus reduce the mileage. On newer cars, you can install a different speedo head altogether and that would lower the mileage that way.... they would then fetch good money on EBay!!

Allegedly of course :wink: