• Using their Web Site
    • By Facebook
    • By Twitter
    • By Letter
    • At their Surgery
    • Don't bother
    • Other please state

Baz, because they don't want to hear what people have to say. :wink:

Pete that's one reason that I started the thread I am trying to find out why it does not always appear to be a two-way process. As you can see from this survey NO ONE goes to surgeries on this forum or if they do it's not their preferred choice.

Some councillors do have surgeries (at Libraries, Community Centres etc) but few if any people turn up. Now either people in those areas:

1. Have no problems/issues/concerns to report/discuss;

2. Don't know they are taking place;

3. Can't make it on the day/time advertised;

4. Don't think anything will get done;

5. Don't want to be seen going to see a councillor;

6. Can and do deal with the issue themselves via another method etc;

7. Don?t want to talk to someone who represents another political party;

7. Another reason.

Maybe I should start another thread on Surgeries?

Hopefully they don't leave the issue until it is too late and then it goes from a small thing that can be dealt with and turns into one that becomes a big problem!! Councillors are there to serve all their constituents regardless?..and before Observer says I have got my rose tinited specs on I've recently bought new galsses. :wink:

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is for a lot of reasons Geoff.... Stockton Heath have Parish Council meetings every month 7.30 on Tuesday and I never go (based on my many past experiences of them) :?

My Reasons as to why I no longer go to Stockton Heath PC meetings.

They are FAR TO FORMAL !!!

It was rare that anything actually got done... yes they would sit around and talk about things when they were raised by members of the public. They would occasionally contact the council or whoever... but that was it and was often nothing more than a token gesture input and the usual final saying was say 'sorry there is not a lot we can do'

Not to mention the 3 minute rule that residents have during the public participation stage of the meetings. You can only speak for 3 minutes then your time is up :roll:

There is also the problem that residents aren't allowed to speak or question anything raised during the councillors part of the meeting.

As you don't know what is on the agenda until you get there quite often things will be discussed that are of interest or a worry to you... but you cant join in, question or comment (very very occasionally they will allow it though)

However, being fair not all PC meetings are like this as I have also been to a few Walton Parish Council Meetings which are structured in a similar way but what a difference. You actually feel that you are part of the meeting and not just an outsider 'looking in' :?

As for other people.... and why they may/may not go

Well like you say most only ever go if they have a specific and often large issue/problem and rarely go back again probably because the meetings are so FORMAL :?

Many I speak to have no idea what a Parish Council meeting is actually for :roll: and any that have been say they found it a chore to say the least.

And some just prefer to sit at home and moan about things and hope that someone else will sort it rather than doing anything about it themselves :roll:

Maybe some people just contact their local parish/borough councilors in person rather than going to their boring, formal, stuffy, grumpy PC meetings :wink::lol::lol:

What format do surgeries take.. are they like PC meetings or are they more informal ?

Trouble is that too many councillor responsibilities have been delegated to the executive officers without any control over the work and follow up by the councillors for updating being given by the officers.

Consequently there is little faith in seeing anything getting done.

There is also a complete lack of communication from WBC executives about what work is planned and being done that affects everyone. Just look at the farce over erecting a pedestrian crossing over Birchwood Way just to allow whatever few pedestrians or cyclists to cross this busy main road. The safety aspects have been totally ignored because it was deemed cheaper to build a crossing rather than a tunnel. So much for consultation and discussion. So much for common sense. So much for road safety .

Can I suggest Geoff an option 8. Can't be arsed doing something positive about an issue that bothers them, much easier to gripe on a forum and blame everyone but themselves.

You have a point PJ, however not everyone can make such meetings so it is a little unfair to criticise forum posters...... personally I can't be arsed because past experience shows that regardless of what public opinion says, the councillors usually ignore it and carry on with their own agendas.

Regardless of wether I moan about a roundabout or traffic lights on here or to david Earls face; the fact is we still have tor example, the Westbrook traffic lights and we still would have had them because the councillors involved, made up their own excuses and reasons for having them and then made up rules and laws which prevented the roundabout being re-instated; after it had caused and still causes such mayhem despite the millions it had cost to do.

So the street is not 2 ways then. Councillors can hardly be expected to call round to everyones house on the off chance that you may have a problem but I am certain that should you go to the surgery, or your Parish meeting or phone your councillor or email him or write to him there is more chance of something being done than if you just rant on here mate. I'm not saying it will get done, just more chance thats all, And you have had councillor Reynolds round your house a few times, in fact I saw him the other day in ASDA and he said he may take you up on your offer of a brew and a local parish Councillor visits you regularly too :D

Wahl ? I?m not sure how this was approved (nor I think are the Parish Council) ? it was done some time ago - all I know is that it is part of a cycle/path network across Warrington. On your general point ? the exec can be questioned and scrutinised, I?m looking forward to your appearance at Full Council with your question :D especially on highway issues.

PJ - The ?Street Councillor Surgery? is just one of many ways I am trying to use to engage with my constituents ? today for example I do home visits for those who can?t get out and about.

The 'Street Councillor Surgery' is a way of picking up issues and taking the temperature - I have found that quite often (but not always) - issues raised in one street are applicable to several in the immediate area, so in that respect they are very worthwhile -especially when they say 'Oh I haven't seen a councillor here for ages'.

As for getting your councillor to get things done ? not easy if they don?t share your approach/view. I always try to keep an open mind but if I disagree I will explain why and debate the issue.

I am still a rookie with loads to learn.

Geoff I wish you luck with the street councillor scheme but how do you know which house to visit and who has an issue? do you really go round to every house in your constituancy to ask if they have a grievance? How long does that take? If so you deserve a medal but instead you'll just become a sounding post for folk to vent their splein on.

I'd like to think that if somebody felt strongly enough about an issue which they believed their councillor may be able to help them with then they would contact them and discuss it

Again good luck.

Obs being 'all for community action' :shock::shock:

For starters he doesn't appear to like people especially the unemployed, unmarried couples who live together, single parents, kids born out of wedlock who he once referred to as the 'b' word.. infact he doest't like kids in general or even dogs.

Maybe he be ok at litter 'picking' duties though :wink:

See Obs.. I do remember and take in every word you say :lol::P

obs (and I hate defending him) has a point.

I can't see things ever changing until the majority of the population are forced out of their comfort zone and stand up and fight for change.

At a guess, maybe 1% of Warrington might be interested in what the council do and how they waste our money. The rest don't care because they are not suffering.

I can't see things ever changing until the majority of the population are forced out of their comfort zone and stand up and fight for change.

At a guess, maybe 1% of Warrington might be interested in what the council do and how they waste our money. The rest don't care because they are not suffering.

So 99% of the population don't suffer . Go get a reality check Peter and stop pretending that you dislike sticking up for Observer all the time

Thought for a while PJ, that you knew what you were talking about, but that last little post confirms you don't. When it comes down to spending commitments, there's even less money now than ever, they can't even attend to their statutory commitments properly, never mind any new commitments arising from a complaint - so I suggest you take a reality check. :roll: btw Diz, I do like dogs, much preferable to people; they may s**t on the park, but they never s**t on you! :wink:

Are you suggesting that I clearly need 'medication' Obs :shock::wink::lol:

PS I do stay away from my GP too these days after his advice and prescribed medication made me ill.. 3 times. :roll:

Dizzy don't get him started on the medication.....

I've only attended two PC's - the Fearnhead has a structure but I'd say a relaxed and informal approach - NO definitely NO 3 minutes malarkey and they do refer stuff onwards and upwards if they have to.. this has always been the approach and may in large be down to the clerk but the chairs control the flow. I did sit in on the Grappenhall one once and that was similar.

As for Councillor Surgeries - I can only speak for the ones I have been involved in - these are held in a private room because of the confidentiality nature of the issue. The library is good because it has facilities where you can wait. The Council member?s office vet venues to make sure that they meet certain criteria.

The surgeries are business like and relaxed and the councillor should be trying to find the best way forward. Ideally help and/or advice will be given with a view to reaching a satisfactory solution. There is no guarantee but reasons should be given one way or another. Just depends on what the issue is.

PJ I've done FOUR 'Street Surgeries' so far - approximately 100 houses in each taking between 2 and 3 hours - but that's 400 doors knocked and a 10th of my constituents have been given a chance of having a face to face with me.

Yes it does take a long time and it depends on whether or not they are in when I call (I do say approximately when I will be calling).

They have my contact details phone number - emaik etc, they can leave their form with a neighbour - some have rung and some have emailed me their replies.

It's just one of several ways that they can get in touch with me.

So 99% of the population don't suffer . Go get a reality check Peter and stop pretending that you dislike sticking up for Observer all the time

PJ. How do people suffer? They all eat, have TV's etc etc and most have cars. The "poor" have never been looked after like they are these days. Whether the "poor" spend their help sensibly isn't the point, they are still well off. (Some even have cameras and pc's.)

How many people do you see with a mobile stuck to their ear?

The people who aren't well off are those with physical/medical conditions who don't have a quality of life.

As for observer, I have a long and sometimes unforgiving memory, and he will never be forgiven for abandoning Latchford to the Lib-Dems and the other things he did there.

It doesn't stop me agreeing with him, as I do, others occasionally.

:wink:

That shut because the parents on the bungalow estate thought St. Heath was posh and wanted their kids to go there. Still a Labour decision although not a lot of options.

I was referring to the other things that get me on my hobby horse as you well know. :wink:

I was informed the other day that the Labour candidate for Latchford West was too busy supporting another area to go canvassing in Latchford, so I guess it will be no cllrs as usual for the next 3 years. :evil::twisted::evil::twisted::roll::roll:

The school saga, allowed the LibDems to get a beachead in Latchford, and it was down hill from there on. The rest was about rationalising spending and services to cut out excess fat that had evolved rather than being resolved - alas, prudence is never popular with the masses! :roll:

The school saga, allowed the LibDems to get a beachead in Latchford, and it was down hill from there on. The rest was about rationalising spending and services to cut out excess fat that had evolved rather than being resolved - alas, prudence is never popular with the masses! :roll:

OK. :wink: Can't say any more in case PJ thinks I am agreeing with you. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

• 2 months later...