Are imprinted concrete paths dangerous?

Geoffrey Settle

The snow may have gone but don?t be fooled.

Last week I was posting leaflets about the revised waste collection service when all of a sudden I was flying backwards though the air. I landed flat on my back and my head cracked against the hard path leading to a front door :oops: .

I managed to slide off the path that was ice cold and crawled to the pavement. I somehow got to my feet after several minutes and winded shuffled off down the road.

At the other end of the road I bumped into someone I knew. He always calls me across for a chat and I told him what had happened. He took one look at me and told me that I?d better step in for a while and get cleaned up because there was blood trickling down behind my right ear.

He went on to say I must have slipped on one of these new concrete paths. Although it had been chilly I had thought it was a nice day the first for a while.

The path had actually been covered in a sheet of black ice.

Even wearing ice skates I would have struggled to maintain my balance :shock: .

So if you are out walking on a cold morning and the temperature has dropped below zero during the night, please take care and avoid this type of path, they are lethal.

I am recovering but I had to sleep in a chair for the first two nights and I can still feel the internal bruising.

Has anyone else had such an experience on what I think is termed an imprinted concrete path that is guess what, water resistant?

Geoff, Yes they are extremely slippey. we have one, had it laid about 10 years ago, if it rains or snows then freezes the sealant on the drive makes it like an ice rink although it looks great we rue the day we had it done so if anyone is thinking of having an imprinted concrete drive my advice is don't, if you do, make sure your house & property insurance covers is up to date.

Sorry to hear about your accident Geoff, but I don't know that you can blame the imprinted concrete. I have had one for probably 15 years and am delighted with it. Yes, it is slippy when it freezes, but I don't think it is any worse than the tarmac we had before. And it lasts and lasts and is weed proof. I wonder if the pattern makes a difference? We chose "Cheshire cobble" (because it seemed appropriate in Cheshire!) for most of it, with " Lakeland slate" for a patio area. The Lakeland slate is smoother and more slippy than the cobble, which is quite rugged. So I have no regrets about having it done - other than the cost! I am told it would cost ?15,000 now (although it didn't 15 years ago or I wouldn't have had it!) and it costs over ?1,000 to have it cleaned and re-sealed.

But my neighbour has had his tarmac drive done three times in the years I have had the concrete so has probably spent as much.

I am told it would cost ?15,000 now (although it didn't 15 years ago or I wouldn't have had it!) and it costs over ?1,000 to have it cleaned and re-sealed.

Ds, Have you considered doing it yourself, Karcher DIY Pressure washing machine - ?70 - ?100, 25ltre drum of the correct spec sealant from the company who supplies to the trade - ?80 (two years ago, will have gone up in price but still no more than ?100), plastic container large enough to fit a sweeping brush head in - ?10 max,

good quality soft bristle sweeping brush (don't want bristles coming off onto sealant) ?10 max.

Total cost = ?170 to ?200

The sealant has done my path & driveway twice.

Web address of the supplier, if I remember correctly they are situated at Walton Summit near Preston.

http://www.creative-impressions.com/index.php

Gosh wasn't it icy this morning, probably still is. I only went as far as the paper shop at 7am with the dog and I was slipping everywhere. Well she was pulling on one direction and I the other.

As luck would have it I was crossing a drive when the only car in the road decided they were going to pull in, even he skidded trying to avoid me!

I'm beginning to know what it's like to be a Crash Test Dummy especially as I walked into a glass door before Christmas.

The porch lights were so bright that it made the patio door look as if it was open and I was more concerned that my fingers didn't get bitten. I leaned forward to post a letter and crashed into the door. My head was save because I was wearing my IOM TT marshal's woollen hat but my knee came off worse but recovered after I danced off down the drive. I also know what a startled bird hitting a window feel like. May be I should stay indoors until the sun comes out?

Note to DS just because I motioned patio doors doesn't mean you have to sell them to me as you did for the concrete path above :wink:

Gosh wasn't it icy this morning, probably still is. I only went as far as the paper shop at 7am with the dog and I was slipping everywhere. Well she was pulling on one direction and I the other.

As luck would have it I was crossing a drive when the only car in the road decided they were going to pull in, even he skidded trying to avoid me!

I'm beginning to know what it's like to be a Crash Test Dummy especially as I walked into a glass door before Christmas.

The porch lights were so bright that it made the patio door look as if it was open and I was more concerned that my fingers didn't get bitten. I leaned forward to post a letter and crashed into the door. My head was save because I was wearing my IOM TT marshal's woollen hat but my knee came off worse but recovered after I danced off down the drive. I also know what a startled bird hitting a window feel like. May be I should stay indoors until the sun comes out?

Note to DS just because I motioned patio doors doesn't mean you have to sell them to me as you did for the concrete path above :wink:

Shouldn't that be on Facebook or similar?

eh ??

Nothing to do with being from SH Peter I know people from all over, young and old, who use that word.....

To 'whittle on' about something is the same as 'to rabbit on' or to 'repeatedely' go on about the same thing.

It comes from the term to 'whittle' (as in the wood carving way) where bits of the wood are repetitively and slowly shaved/cut off. ie in a repetative, laborious and expected fashion.

Gosh some of you are so thick at times :lol::P