Blue and silhouette - BUT WHY ?

Dizzy

Maybe PJ, Algy or someone esle can tell me WHY a lot of my photos from today have come out like this.

All taken today on AUTO setting... blue skies, clouds although no actual sun most of the time just odd light but why are they all very blue, dark and silhouetted.

Sorry as all these will probably bore you but I need to know... :?

IMG_0877.jpg

IMG_0889.jpg

IMG_0890.jpg

IMG_0880.jpg

and also why does the water look weird on some :?

IMG_0886.jpg

IMG_0896.jpg

IMG_0905.jpg

IMG_0875.jpg

IMG_0858.jpg

Nice feet though :lol:

IMG_0910.jpg

Sorry for all those but thought I'd upload a few so you could see what I meant :oops:

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your camera set to auto will take an average metering of the whole scene. As the sky is so bright it is exposing to that and therefore under exposing the buildings etc. If you dont want this to happen you could centre on the buildings and half depress the shutter to take the reading. Without releasing the shutter you then frame the shot as you would like it and fully depress the shutter. Just try experimenting with a few shots of each scene. Hope this helps.

For what its worth I like silhouettes.

I could'nt have expained it better, what I really mean is I COULD'NT HAVE EXPLAINED IT :oops: . what PJ says makes sense Dizz, as he suggests, unless I take a quick action shot I depress the shutter button halfway, to centre the subject and allow the auto focus to operate then press fully to take the picture.

On page 87 of your manual there is a section headed "AE Lock"

I have copy and pasted it here for you Dizzy. I thought it was us blokes who never read the manuals :D

You can lock the exposure and shoot, or set the focus and exposure

separately to shoot. AE stands for ?Auto Exposure?.

Lock the exposure.

● Point the camera toward the subject and

press the b button while pressing the

shutter button halfway.

When appears, the exposure will be locked.

● If you release your finger from the shutter

button and press the b button again,

will disappear and AE will unlock.

Compose the scene and shoot.

Just as with the AE lock (p. 87), you can lock the exposure for shooting with

the flash. FE stands for ?Flash Exposure?.

Raise the flash and choose h (p. 69).

Lock the flash exposure.

● Point the camera toward the subject and

press the b button while pressing the

shutter button halfway.

The flash will fire and when appears,

the flash output will be retained.

● If you release your finger from the shutter

button and press the b button again,

will disappear and FE will unlock.

Compose the scene and shoot.

Shooting with the AE Lock

Program Shift

If you lock the exposure and turn the ? dial, you can change the shutter speed

and aperture value combination.

Shooting with the FE Lock

Thanks PJ and Algy.

I do press the shutter half way before shooting but makes sense re the brightness of the sky and average meter reading.

After three reads I still don't understand the cut and paste instructions PJ... it all sounds very complicated but I'm sure it will make sense when I sit with my camer and try it a few times

I have been experimenting with all the manual setting options though especially the 'P' (programme( white balance, cloudy, blah blah) and also the 'AV' (apeture)...

Like you say though PJ I tend tend to get a white sky when I twiddle to make other areas brighter. I suppose I could take two photo's and clone them :oops::lol:

I think when I took the lighter one of the squirrel (on the other thread I must have had it on 'M' (manual) and twiddles the ISO? setting dial.

I'm enjoying playing though and as for reading the manual... I have briefly scrolled through it on screen... I'm a bugger for not reading instructions :oops: I may just print it off so I can keep reading it over and over again or carry it round with me when I forget :oops:

PS I think I prefer the sihlouette one too :wink:

Although not related to this topic, I noticed that in photo number 6, last years cygnets have still got their young plumage. They should have lost that before the onset of winter. I also noticed it on my own lake. Also the female swan had 7 cygnets, and every one of them survived. Unlike other years where there are only usualy only two of them that survive their first year through predators etc.

The young swans I snapped on the canal at christmas still had their grey baby feathers too Wingy. Now you have mentioned it you are right, it is a bit odd :?

PS PJ.... I understant the earlier instructions now... simples :D

I shall be testing it out shortly :wink:

The young swans I snapped on the canal at christmas still had their grey baby feathers too Wingy. Now you have mentioned it you are right, it is a bit odd :?

PS PJ.... I understant the earlier instructions now... simples :D

I shall be testing it out shortly :wink:

Good luck and try to take a few different settings for each shot and compare the results as you go. You couldn't do that in the old days Dizzy :wink:

Not apt enough PJ.... I'm am in a really bad mood and I may throw my camera in the same bloody bin.

116 photos taken between 3.45pm and 5.15 pm and all but about 5 are SH**E !!!

I thought I had it all well and trully sussed and they all looked amazing on the screen until I uploaded them.

Auto... manual.. programme...aperature.... this... that... and the other !

The sunset was absolutely amazing too but not that you can tell from any of my naff grainy odd coloured sh**e pictures... GRRRRRRRRR !

Dog had a nice time running free and pottering about at Walton Garden though :? Infact 3 of the half decent ones are of her :?

Calm down :shock::shock:

Yer 'avin a laugh... I'm gutted... the sunset was absolutely beautiful :cry: I suppose the looked good on my display as that is only 3 inches by 2 (ish)... I don't know they just did but they aren't.

I will be brave and I upload the best sh**e ones I got out of all my photos.

Brace yourself and give me 5 minutes 8):cry::lol:

I BET THEY ARE !!! I have not modified any I am just uploading them as they were :cry:

I think I am putting these in order that they were taken... as obviously the light was ok when I first started clicking away but then got progresively darker.

I'm sorry everyone for boring you all with these but I will delete them later :oops:

IMG_0937.jpg

IMG_0938.jpg

IMG_0956.jpg

IMG_1003.jpg

IMG_0992.jpg

IMG_0989.jpg

IMG_0990.jpg

IMG_0992.jpg

IMG_1029.jpg

IMG_1004.jpg

IMG_1012.jpg

There are donkies up at Hill Cliffe :D

IMG_1023.jpg

Errrmm.. first two (and all the others I took of the Hall are fuzzy)

Errrmm... sunsets don't actually look as bad this size but have obviously been shrunk during upload. They are still grainy and nothing like what I was looking at.

Full size they are naff.

Errrm.... donkey only has one eye and the dog needs brushing again :lol:

I'd best delete the dog as my cover will now have been blown as everyone always recognises her as she is so 'unique' and scruffy :lol:

Dizzy your idea of S**** images must differ vastly from mine. Remember that you were experimenting and therefore you are going to get a few duffers, like the rest of us do.

The first 2 images are washed out a bit because I think you tried to expose to the shadowier part of the scene. This would happen to anybody who did that and is to be expected. After that the images are really good with some interesting framing and compositions. There is some noise on some of the images but you were shooting in quite low light so again its to be expected. The shot of the power station is a cracker as is the 1st one after the Hall shots. I love the donkey it looks almost feral.

I really think you a too hard on yourself Dizzy to be honest

I just had a quick look at the settings on some of the pics and the noisier ones had iso 1600 which on most compacts will give you loads of noise. I think the best and easiest way to get clearer sunsets would be to invest in a tripod and shoot longer exposures at a much lower iso.