Were the old ways better ?

Dizzy

Having had a bit of a sort out today I found myself spending a happy couple of hours looking through packets of old photo's that I had forgotten that I had put away in boxes.

Some lovely memories and funny times that had almost been forgotton about.

Got me thinking though... with all the new 'high tech' ways of doing things could we or our families all be missing out on reminiscing or remembering in the future.

How may of you, like me, have 1000's and 1000's of digital photos on your PC or backed up to disks... do you ever sit and look through them all.... I don't :shock:

I bet you hardly show anyone your holiday or fmaily snaps either like you would have done in the days of collecting your prints in your lunch hour etc :?

If you weren't here would anyone else actually know all your digi photos existed. Could all those memories be lost forever :shock:

I wonder what else is 'better' now ... but in some ways isn't too :?

You can still print your images Dizzy, at least now you only pay out for pictures you have seen and adjusted rather than the boxes of rubbish I have had developed over the years. Its only a few pence for a 6"x4" print. If you sign up with companies like Kodak, Snapfish etc you usually get your 1st forty or fifty for free.

P.S. after the complete degradation of your Gas Bill topic I must point out that I am in no way affiliated to either of the aforementioned companies. :D

:lol::lol::wink:

I know what you mean about the waste and unwanted photo mis-haps that we all used to get the old way PJ but then quite a lot of the photo's I looked at today I wouldn't have actually printed off at the time ie the grimaces, squining eyes and odd poses and even the odd bum crack pose :lol: All were great to look at and made me giggle remembering when they were taken.

Surely we will only finish up with 'perfect' photo prints as we selectively chose OUR favourites and that doesn't necesarily mean our choices would be what other family members would chose to 'save or print'.

Algy... mine have mostly already been backed up onto various CD's over the years... some of which have probably been lost or damaged along the way. :cry:

How do we know though in 5, 10, 15, 20, 30+ years time that people will be able to open them though the way technology is changing so fast or indeed that they will know what a CD is... they may think it's a drinks mat or something :shock:

If I had the money I would print the lot off now just to be sure that all my clicking throughout my lifetime is put to good use to bore my family, grandchildren, great grandchildren and everyone else from that point on regardless of whether I am here to watch their faces or not :lol::wink::cry::lol:

"quite a lot of the photo's I looked at today I wouldn't have actually printed off at the time ie the grimaces, squining eyes and odd poses and even the odd bum crack pose All were great to look at and made me giggle remembering when they were taken. "

then these are the ones to choose to print Dizzy, what a photograph says or means to somebody is far,far more important than technical perfection. What I meant was you dont have to print the blurry, washed out and thumbs and shoes shot which we all take. Printing is now cheaper than ever really so no excuse not to.

How many brilliant, important and sadly forgotten moments are lying around undeveloped on old spools of film do you think? at least digitally at least you have some record of your shots.

I think its better now than then in many ways Dizzy especially in the field of photography.

I've put most of mine in an account with a photo hosting website.

That way they're backed-up offsite and nothing which may happen to my computers or even my house can destroy them.

Since they're on the web they're also future proofed and safe from being stored on a media which might not be in common usage in 10 years time.

It also means that widely spread family and friends can look through them and even contribute their own pictures and memories of events they attended as well.

Then I've still got them on the hard drives of my PC's and can upload them to a new company.

The only way I could lose the lot would be if the house burnt to the ground and the hosting company went bump at the same time.

I'm also planning to teach myself how to author my own website this year and once it's up and running I'll have all my photos on there as well.

I back all my photos up onto external drives stored in separate locations. As I shoot in RAW he files tend to be very large and therefore I have getting on for 700 Gb of photos.

I print off my favourites but never delete the Raw files of any but the worst efforts as there is no point. When my drives are full they only cost about ?50 to replace and you have them for ever.

You still have the option to print from digital but you never had the option of keeping your own electronic copies in the days of film.

I actually liked the change over period where I used to get my films developed but for an extra ?1 you could have them put on a cd too to view on your pc. Best of both words :D:wink:

Another thing with printing your favourite digi pics off on your home pc is that the prints will NOT last... they will fade due to the paper and inks :?

I guess the old and new ways are both best.... but in different ways.

I definately 'snap' more these days though without a worry :wink::oops::lol: