The King's Speech

Mary

OK, I viewed The King's Speech last night -- and it was lovely. A good teacher-pupil story where the teacher is innovative, lacking credentials and letters after his name. Geoffrey was a terrific Lionel - his Aussie accent was almost American (can there be any higher praise for an actor?) All the minor players were outstanding. Gambon was a great George V -- HBC was extremely wonderful as the Duchess of York and Mrs. Johnson, Guy Pearce (another Aussie) was surprisingly adept at Bertie's older brother, David. Derek Jacobi as Archbishop was practically type casting. I was puzzled at seeing the name Claire Bloom in the credits -- did I miss her? Did I doze off? No, later in the cast credits she was named Queen Mary. Very well, very regal indeed. Of course the two princesses were adorable.

Can't say I find a film about stuttering has any appeal. Reminds me of a Sgt Major we once had, who had a stammer. One day on morning parade, he called the "p-p-p- ar- ar- de" to attention, and the Captain shouted "Never mind Sgt Major, post us a letter"! Needless to say, we all fell about laughing! :wink:

Not seen the film - nor likely to until it comes on TV. But I did hear an excellent play on the same subject on Radio 4.

Actually Obs, I think you are wrong. It is much more than a story about stuttering - it's a story about a man ill equipped for the job being thrust into the limelight at King. A job he never expected to have, nor indeed particularly wanted. I found it quite a moving play and one which portrayed George VI as a warm human being.

Very apropos comment, Obs, since today (the 17th) we celebrate his birthday with a 3-day weekend, although I believe the actual date was the 15th. I was privileged to hear him deliver a sermon at a Presbyterian Church in Pasadena in the early 60s.

I believe the part that comes after "I have a dream" was "when my children will be judged by the content of their character and not the color of their skin."

With each passing year I feel our culture, our people get more and more superficial with their "that's hot! that's not!" assessments of strangers.

Christopher Hitchens, acknowledging the excellence of The King's Speech film, suggests that Churchill's part in this movie is not historically accurate. Chris says Edward VIII was too friendly to Germany and Churchill admired him for that. Says Churchill tried his best to keep the king on his throne, never having any admiration for Bertie at all. (Today's Salon.com)

I was astonished to hear Colin Firth say his mother was a yank, also. Said she brought him to the states and he spent one middle school year here.

By the way, Chris also said Churchill thought the two biggest threats to the Brits came from Hitler and Gandhi -- back in the 30s I expect.

• 2 weeks later...

The Ovation TV network showed BERTIE AND ELIZABETH tonight with newsreels of the actual events and dramatizations of the 'inside' story. Covers the ground where he first met the daughter of an Earl and when David met Mrs. Simpson -- to George VI death from lung cancer. The final credits said 'Elizabeth was a widow for 50 years.'

There were no scenes of her smoking but many including Bertie dragging on those noxious fags so popular with the smart set.

Was interesting to see Elizabeth firing a pistol at a range on the palace grounds for self defense should German paratroopers drop in.

Mrs. Simpson was portrayed thus: Hitler invaded the Rheinland? How can you invade what you already own?

• 2 weeks later...

If you count my ancestors under Goerge III -- they lived in Vermont and were named Johnson. However, I have great great grandfathers from Southwest England, named Cutliff, who came to America in the 1800s. Perhaps they lived under kings that I don't know much about.

I'm still distressed that the Restoration went Catholic and the Duke of Monmouth failed to ascend the throne.

Assuming you missed the red carpet interviews before the Oscars tonight, I just wanted to say when almost unrecognizable Russell Brand (clean shaven!!!) was asked who would win the Best Actor he replied: C-C-C-C- Colin Firth.

I didn't get the joke until five minutes later. I've always said I'm slow but sure, get there eventually.