Skittles

Agamemnon1

I hear on the grapevine that in celebration of the forthcoming anniversary of the Town Centre Skittles and Fountains that work will start on Tuesday to paint the skittles silver :x and that a dye is to be added to the fountains that will change the colour of the water ! I feel that this is another disgracefull town centre waste of our money !

Whats your reactions ? :x

[ 29.03.2008, 07:14: Message edited by: Agamemnon ]

Originally posted by dangleberry:

Its the councils money .

Really.

Might I suggest that having seen the level of WBC's borrowings...up ?17 million on the year and the substantial pension deficit...about ?200,000,000 in all, the money belongs to their lenders and the pension scheme.

I seem to recall Cllr M Hannon making a similar comment to yours about the ownership of the money recently.

Wasn't the latter named a devotee of the skittle idea?

The department that dreams up these ideas should be put in mothballs and the staff put on street cleaning, until as such time as the council gets its accounts in the black.

I thought that a lot of time, meetings and money had been spent looking at ways of saving money? :confused:

Perhaps a reduction in the number of cllrs who do not deliver for their wards should be considered, and a serious study of officers and the cost of their "faux-pas'"

PS.The wheel being just one example.

[ 29.03.2008, 08:15: Message edited by: Peter ]

.....take your brush it might save a few quid, and if you can take your own paint that would be even better; better still if you can find some others willing to save some of my money.

BTW, your use of the apostrophe is as bad as your priorities for the usage of our money.

[ 29.03.2008, 09:18: Message edited by: Eagle ]

Thought they were already using a red dye at weekends?! :wink: Suggest we ask for costings on this, as nothing can be done to this "work of art" without the artist's permission - so perhaps we'll have to pay for him to come over - like we had to pay for the original stone columns to be shipped from the US. :wink:

Originally posted by dangleberry:

Whats wrong with a little civic pride in whats a great town center attraction ?

:confused: :confused: :confused: You are very easily pleased if you consider the skittles as a great town centre attraction. Who or what does it attract :confused:

I have a far better idea, invite all the public down and lets demolish the dam things, We can then put soap in the fountains and all blow bubbles. We can of course throw all the councillors in the drink for their total waste of the money that I be grudgingly pay them to waste

Whilst on the subject of waste, I hear that central government is now going to cap the police authority because of its 17% increase. So we pay a 17% increase, the government cap that to 4.5% deducting the difference to the police authority. Have we just been sold down the river again by the council who agreed this rise.

We pay more; the government pay less, and get an even worse service than we have now. That must call for questions to asked.

Originally posted by little fella:

I have a far better idea, invite all the public down and lets demolish the dam things, We can then put soap in the fountains and all blow bubbles. We can of course throw all the councillors in the drink for their total waste of the money that I be grudgingly pay them to waste

Whilst on the subject of waste, I hear that central government is now going to cap the police authority because of its 17% increase. So we pay a 17% increase, the government cap that to 4.5% deducting the difference to the police authority. Have we just been sold down the river again by the council who agreed this rise.

We pay more; the government pay less, and get an even worse service than we have now. That must call for questions to asked.

In fairness to the council, the police precept is set by the Police Authority. The council is a collecting agent, on behalf of the PA.

Off course, the council will now have to rebill everybody in the Town at a cost, which I believe should be recoverable from the PA.

The government were right to cap the PA!

My understanding is that the Government have called in representatives from the Police Authorities to "discuss" their funding. So whilst re billing might ultimately be required I hope WBC do not go ahea to soon....interestingly the amount involved is not that great looking at my Council Tax bill....from which I notice the increase for 2007/2008 was an uncapped 6.9% :wink:

The problem as I see it is the bureaucratic costs involved in running a police service...subject as it is to ever greater reporting requirements by central government.....cut that and the costs will fall dramatically.

I also ask the question how effective are the local authority representatives on the Police Authority board.

Hang on a minute Mr Kenny; WBC has reprentation on the Police Authority from all the Parties (AND PAYS THEM OVER ?16k pa), the Police Budget could/would/should have been discussed at a meeting of WBC, where the matter could have been debated and the local public alerted. :wink: