Got your Gas and Electric Bills Yet :(

Dizzy

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am with Scottish Power for both gas and electricity so I can give you a cost comparison between the two, as follows :-

British Gas charge

6.991 pence per kWh for the first 670 kWhs of gas used per quarter and 3.204 pence per kWh for the remainder.

22.579 pence per kWh for the first 180 kWhs of electricity per quarter and 10.552 pence per kWh for the remainder.

Therefor if you used 4000kWhs of gas and 1000kWhs of electricity, your bill would be ?280.69 with British Gas.

Scottish Power charge

6.414 pence per kWh for the first 670 kWhs of gas used per quarter and 3.03 pence for the remainder.

18.05 pence per kWh for the first 225 kWhs of electricity used per quarter and 11.759 pence for the remainder.

For the same usage as above your bill would be ?275.61.

Scottish Power ?5.08 cheaper than British Gas.

[/u]

As a further comparison.

Eon Saveonline 5

Electricity

Normal units up to 900 kWhs per year

20.916 pence

Normal units

10.1745 pence per kWh

Gas

Normal units up to 2680 kWhs per year

6.72525 pence

Normal units

2.88015 pence per kWh

Plus 6% discount for paying by fixed monthly Direct Debit -

and 2% Dual Fuel Direct Debit Discount

Victor can work that out. :wink:

Wolfie, ref your info on EonSaveonline5

Your quote (i.e. electricity),

"Normal units up to 900kWhs per year @ 20.916 pence"

"Normal units @ 10.1745 pence"

Does this mean that for the first 900kWhs per year you are charges at 20.916 pence per kWh and for above 900kWhs per year you are charged at 10.1745 pence per kWh (i.e., Tier 1 and Tier 2)

Wolfie, ref your info on EonSaveonline5

Your quote (i.e. electricity),

"Normal units up to 900kWhs per year @ 20.916 pence"

"Normal units @ 10.1745 pence"

Does this mean that for the first 900kWhs per year you are charges at 20.916 pence per kWh and for above 900kWhs per year you are charged at 10.1745 pence per kWh (i.e., Tier 1 and Tier 2)

Eh'm Yes I think :oops:

Wolfie/Victor

I just went on the comparisson site that Wolfie mentioned in a previous thread and compared mine with the Eon Saver Online 5 Tariff.

It gives me different rates to the ones you have just quoted though Wolfie :? (just to confuse me more :lol: )

Based on my average quarterly ? spend the comparrison is as follows (calculation shown yearly)

EON

Gas rates

No standing charge

Units tier 1 6.4050p per kwh for the first 2680 kwh p.a.

(6.7253p inc. VAT)

Units tier 2 2.7430p per kwh for the rest

(2.8802p inc. VAT)

Electricity Rates

No standing charge

Day rate - tier 1 19.9200p per kwh for the first 900 kwh p.a.

(20.9160p inc. VAT)

Day rate - tier 2 9.6900p per kwh for the rest

(10.1745p inc. VAT)

Rates without VAT are presented for comparison purposes, total cost and savings are always inclusive of VAT

Detailed Cost Calculation

Gas

No standing charge ?0.00

Tier 1 usage 2680 kwh at 6.4050p ?171.65

Tier 2 usage 10917 kwh at 2.7430p ?299.46

Gas Subtotal ?471.11

Electricity

No standing charge ?0.00

Tier 1 usage 900 kwh at 19.9200p ?179.28

Tier 2 usage 3180 kwh at 9.6900p ?308.17

Electricity Subtotal ?487.45

Discounts ?76.68

Subtotal ?881.87

VAT ?44.09

Total ?925.97

Your current costs are ?1,092, based on the same energy consumption your new costs would be ?926 saving you ?166

Victor... that is just a cut and paste of the screen so can YOU work it out based on the 4000 and 1000 units as you did for British Gas vs Scottish Power for me :D:oops:

I'm not sure if it is a fixed rate tariff though so the prices could go up :shock:

News today says British Gas are investing ?37 million into a fund to help the poor pay their energy bills :?:roll: A ?50 gredit will be given to those who are struggling. :roll:

Whoopeee... ?50 will make a big difference eh NOT !!

Why don't they just lower their prices so we can ALL benefit :D:wink:

http://latestnews.virginmedia.com/news/uk/2011/01/12/37m_to_help_poor_pay_energy_bills

:lol::lol::wink:

Its all madness eh.

On the same site it tells me that if I go onto the British Gas - WebSaver 10 dual fuel tariff I'll save ?176 a year (don;t forget thats compared with the British Gas rate that I am already on)

So how can I pay ?176 a year MORE for the same suppliers gas and elec as another person :evil:

Sadly though it says.... "This supplier does not allow us to offer a switching service for existing customers at this time."

DON'T THEY INDEED !!! Well I will be asking BG about that when I have all my facts and figures together :evil::wink:

Diz, Unfortunately Obs is quite right and they are only interested in capturing new business not nurturing their existing business. Its`s quite often that the new users often get better deals than existing customers and existing customers are not entitled to the better deals. :x

Ian

Dizzy,

Ref Wolfies post about e.on saveonline 5. I have calculated the cost of a quarter based on the same kWhs which I used earlier.

British Gas ?280.69

Scottish Power ?275.61

E.on ?236.86

Quite a saving with E.on BUT....as from 4/02/11 they are increasing gas by 3% and electricity by 9%, which will increase the above to ?249.72. Still the cheapest of the three at the moment.

Thanks Victor :D

I bet the energy companies love it when they cold call you eh... do you give them a hard time :lol:

Can you also now do it for the cheaper British Gas - WebSaver 10 dual fuel tariff that I mentioned earlier :oops:

I'll buy you some rum and raisin chocolate if you do :wink:

:roll: You could always edit my post Peter if you feel that I have crossed the forum rule barrier.. or you could even delete my so called special powers or even delete/block my account (if you can remember how to do it) :roll::lol:

Victor..... don't worry you'll still get your R&R as I class it as a 'gift' which I have 'chosen' to give you (as is my prerogative) as a way of 'thanks' for your 'advice' and 'time' in 'helping' me to ascertain which service provider 'could' be cheaper for me whilst expecting nothing in return yourself :D

I will also buy everyone else who has posted a block too just to be fair... unless of course they have a preference to any other sort of nibbles or treats :P

Dizzy,

I'm not calm anymore. I have just been looking at the British Gas Websaver 10 account (having nothing better to do), and to say the least, the small print with the discounts ifs and buts, is a bit confusing. E.G., though it is called "Websaver" the costs of gas and electric is slightly higher than their standard rate but they then give a discount. You also get a discount for paying by direct debit and one for duel fuel supply. However, I will do a calculation but not tonight. Sweet dreams.

I briefly spoke to a very nice gent at UW today..

I've not calculated how much their bill would be yet (based on Victors 4000 kwh and 1000 khw per quarter) so no idea how much it 'might' save me but I do like the fact that they just have one price for gas and one price for elec. :D

None of this so many units on tier 1 at 'x' price and rest on tier 2 at 'y' price nonsence less discount for this that and the other..