Where to park?

observer

Quite amusing seeing a Councillor bleating about problem parking and traffic congestion in areas of the Town (ww news); it's fairly obvious that terraced housing estates over 100 years old were never designed with the car in mind, and some folk seem to want a car each, even though there is only enough room for one outside their house. :roll:

[ 06.03.2008, 12:07: Message edited by: observer ]

With all the comments from a wide variety of people with regards to Warrington and its useless Council, drugs, violence, drunken yobs, congestion etc., etc., it would benefit the area greatly if Warrington centre was bulldozed to the ground, getting rid of 99% of the problem. It could then be converted into a park and ride for Widnes !!

I returned to my car last Tuesday( parked outside the bank on Town Hill ) after paying a 5 minute visit to the new town center WBC office/info center to find a traffic warden putting a ticket on my car :( Although i was displaying the relevant blue badge and despite being in a disabled only parking bay he decided that i was parked illegally because the front on my car was 18 inches outside the disabled bay and protruded into the loading bay. I parked like that because the car already in the disabled bay when i arrived took up almost 2 thirds of the bay. I suppose technically speaking i broke the law

When i asked him did he apply common sense to his duties he replied that i "could appeal."

When i asked him about other vehicles in the area who was clearly parked illegally he replied " i could appeal " those included the transit van and trailor on the pedestrian area selling foodstuff,

a comercial vehicle on the taxi rank along with a private car also in the taxi rank.

When i asked if he had a target to reach? he replied " you can appeal "

When i asked him if the blue disabled badge meant nothing he replied " you can appeal "

I could understand the ticket if i was creating a traffic jam or a danger to other road users or interfering with the flow of traffic :(

Guess you are going to have to Appeal then......I understand 20% of tickets are appealed against.

Commonsense or reasonableness is no longer something that is generally used in today's Britain....more is the pity....mind you it does require intelligence....albeit not necessarily the academic sort :wink:

With all of the hand held technology available I can't see why a warning can't be issued and recorded for example in your case...and then if you do it again within the next few months/year a ticket issued. Guess you might win at Appeal....but Appeals have a cost somewhat greater than a recorded warning.

On the subject of Blue Badges...holders do have a responsibility of care, consideration and of course legality in their parking....alas whilst many do, some do not from what I have seen.

[ 07.03.2008, 08:34: Message edited by: Paul Kennedy ]

Warrington has this attitude of hate the motorist yet the council still insist on turning cars away. I was amazed last week I had to go into town, (first time since just before Christmas) the amount of empty shops even in that new shed golden sq. Speaking with some of the shop keepers who were still pleased to see me they have never experienced trade so bad. Now the way understood retail trade to be successful you must first encourage people in, A little more difficult to get them to buy your products. Why oh why has this town go it so wrong. We have had a change of councillors yet we still have the same problems so it must be the officers, most of whom don?t live here anyway that sit in there glory offices with their fingers up their nose?s wondering what they can make a mess of next.

I think what we need is a good clear out of council officials and get some people in who can run the town properly.

Maybe the solution is to look at the structure of a Council itself, is it fit for purpose, should for example Social Services and the PCT be merged into a new structure, should the education department be part of a local authority. Maybe council structures such as WBC have become too unwieldy, and it is time for a radical rethink and overhaul.

The council is certainly not fit for purpose, but we have this system which has grown over the past 150 years. In the early years it worked for the people and the good of the town and Warrington did prosper. I belive that it is only in the past 25 years that it has gone pear shaped and even more so since being a unitary authority.

I dont really know what the answer is, but certainly a good place to start would be at the top. More acountability for those in office, there is really no reason why this town should not be one of the great towns of the northwest, when you consider what we have got. A river ~ open spaces ~ fantastic history ~ A town centre ~ motorway access north east and south. The investment of new town status was squandered and pilfered, any money we get is wasted on individual whims and not for the good of the town.

Will it ever be better? ~~ I dont think so.

An elected Mayor possibly LF, that person would replace the existing Mayor and Chief Executive. I understand for that to happen 5% of the population have to vote for it....there was a notice published in the paper the other week.

With regards to the answer, I don't have it either, but what is needed are Councillors who are prepared to discuss radial ideas rather than just accept the status quo....accepting that the majority of people are reluctant to relinquish their "empires".

[ 09.03.2008, 08:54: Message edited by: Paul Kennedy ]