Petrol prices

Dizzy

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Federation of Small Businesses (FSB) has said that a fuel duty stabiliser needs to be introduced to spare smaller firms extra costs.

A fuel duty stabiliser is a mechanism that ensures an automatic freeze on fuel duty increases and a reduction in duty to match any increases in VAT revenues from higher pump prices.

The effect would be to reduce the tax on petrol and diesel as the price of oil rises, and visa versa, in order to keep fuel prices relatively constant.

The FSB argued that the UK has the second highest diesel prices in Europe.

In Europe, on average, a litre of diesel is made up of 51 per cent product price and 49 per cent tax.

Whereas in the UK the average is 38 per cent product price and 62 per cent tax.

In real terms, fuel duty will rise by one per cent above inflation each year from April 2011 to April 2014, the FSB added.

well heres one to ponder. why do two shell garages in warrington have such a large difference in price.

opposite the hospital unleaded 127.9 diesel 133.9

on winwick road unleaded 124.9 diesel 129.9

same supplier similar overheads so why is it that the petrol at one is almost as dear as the diesel at the other.

Come on Dizzy, show a bit of common sense

they are hardly going to give us something from Europe which is a benefit are they!!??

I doubt it :wink: I was just sharing info from the FSB that is being circulated by accountants etc :wink:

Surely the government must realise that how all these increases are affecting not only normal car users but more so businesses.

They keep saying they are doing everything to help small businesses survive the current economic climate but then they slap huge amounts on fuel ... which then puts up the costs of parts, supplies, deliveries, blah blah blah. Add to that the increase in VAT and gas/elec etc (on another topic) and it's all becomes a nightmare.

Most small businesses have to try and absorb all these increases as if they put their prices up to compensate they lose customers and trade.

Surely a lot of companies will eventually close down because it's just not viable to remain trading.

I'm rambling again aren't I :oops::lol:

The way petrol prices are going you will only be able to buy petrol by the cup full, people are being priced out of their cars and with wages probably going backwards, will be priced out of work and their homes too!

Then where will all the tax revenue be raised from then, but as long as the bankers get their bonuses and keep their jobs, everything will be all right.

As a matter of interest, excuse the pun, but does anyone know how much irreplaceable city bankers gets paid as a annual salary before any bonuses are paid?

The tanker drivers are striking over pay etc... but if they go on strike there will be fuel shortages and the price of diesel/petrol will rocket... and probably not come down again :?

I'll dig my old roller blades out just incase... actually probably better not after what happened last time I used them :oops::lol:

• 3 weeks later...