Heritage...

vic

Why would the tower be expensive to maintain.. I don't remember reading that bit :? It is a term that is often used when refering to ANYTHING of historical or local interest though or indeed with anything else that the council feels should be 'approved' wouldn't you agree :wink: Go on be brave and agree with me :lol::P

Also how can the archeaologists be sure that there is nothing of 'great' interest though as they haven't looked everywhere :wink: and even if they did find anything either now or during works in the future it would be years until the truth of the finds was openly 'reported' fully :wink:

I am as interested in retaining any structure of archeological value and interest as the next person, however I would need convincing that a water head tank, square, brick, supporting column fell into that cassification, granted it has an unusual castellated crown, but to me it is no different disposing of this structure than the felling of all the factory chimneys that marred the skyline of Warrington in the past, so unless convinced otherwise I say carry on with the demolition.

OK Algy I may have to try and convince you now although I may fail :lol:

Firstly when you drive into town from the South side (A49 or Chester Road way) do you ever notice the Tower, as I know I do, and I'm sure a lot of other passing motorists spot it too as it is rather a prominent and unusual feature of the skyline eh.

Wouldn't you think WBC would want to retain such a prominent and central landmark and use to their advantage :wink::lol:

You're probably right Algy and I have no idea why I like to tower so much.... maybe I was a rapunzel in a past life :lol:

I was going to spend a bit of time editing some images to show how the tower itself could be retained as a noticable landmark whilst at the same time making people more aware of Warringtons lovely cultural quarter and indeed the excellent Golden Square facility.... :wink:

.....but then I couldn't be bothered as it would take too much effort :oops::lol:

Dizz, as I said if you believe it is an asset don't let anyone including me persuade you otherwise, what I said is purely my feeling about the issue and everyone is entitled to their opinion although some times that is not always demonstrated on here (no names no pack drill) but Hey! it would be a boring old forum and world if we all agreed all of the time. :wink:

the same time making people more aware of Warringtons lovely cultural quarter and indeed the excellent Golden Square facility.... :wink:

:

You on the wine again? :shock::shock::shock:

There used to be a landmark up Winwick way, (was it a water tower)that you could see coming back from Liverpool. hasn't that been demolished in the hope that people would carry on to Manchester?

I was lucky enough to get into this building back in 2007 and got some photographs:

garnett1.jpg

garnett2.jpg

garnett12.jpg

garnett14.jpg

garnett15.jpg

garnett16.jpg

garnett17.jpg

http://nwex.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1363

It would be a great shame to lose that wonderful unique tower - the views from the top are spectacular, but it was extremely dangerous, I imagine its even worse now.

Sadly this abandonment is nothing new. I've seen some fantastic buildings rot. I'm sure that most of the time the owners hope that arsonists will do their job for them.

Great photo's Gibbo and thanks for the link to the others too :D

Great views indeed and you are a braver person than I am to go up there...scarey :shock:

I'm glad someone else thinks it would be a shame to lose the tower ... if I make a banner will you put it up there for me :D:wink::lol:

You are right though most of the main building is defiantly in a state (I've seen pictures on other sites too from a few years ago)It's understandable given the amount of time it has been empty.

Was the actual tower itself just as dangerous and past saving in it's own right in your opinion ?

I wonder what will happen to all the old bits of machinery and other relics from the working days :cry:

Gibbo those photos remind of those appearing on two 'Sites' :-

'28DL' & 'Derelict Places' both operating and running close to being illegal insomuch that they enter abandoned buildings, military & industrial around the uk taking photos, they appear to be mostly well educated young people who have astounding climbing skills and avoidance techniques and from what I hear could teach the SAS a thing or to. I am not for one minute suggesting that you have any connection with this type of activity and excellent photos.

There are photos taken at Longbridge; months after Rover went bust..... There are still cars part finished and cars waiting for final inspection and new MGF sports cars and even a mini clubman down in the tunnels underneath the factory (Where they used to build Spitfires during the war apparently!)

Was the actual tower itself just as dangerous and past saving in it's own right in your opinion ?:

The brickwork of the tower was absolutely sound. The only things which were unsafe were the numerous ladders which were coming away from their mountings in the brickwork and the rotten wooden platforms between each ladder level.

Thanks for that Gibbo :D:wink:

So if the brickwork is absolutely sound then it should easily be possible TO KEEP THE TOWER as a stand alone feature then.

I will off course now be watching out for the usual council officers comments such as 'beyond economical repair'.... 'unsafe'.... 'unfit' .... erm what else do they usual use when it comes to getting rid of Warringtons heratige :roll::wink:

Might go and take some pics of it myself tomorrow.. then I can zoom in and check the pointing etc too :wink::D

The report expresses doubt about whether the tower is sound as an independent structure. There's plainly no viable alternative use for the tower - unless you think people would pay to go up it if (e.g.) a spiral staircase were installed. Repair might cost less than demolition, but you have to make a judgment whether being a landmark is a point in its favour or whether it's no good being a landmark if it's just a faux medieval Italian tower. If not surrounded by other buildings, I suspect it might look rather fascinating, but not worth compromising the rest of the site for future development. Warrington's own piazza with tower wouldn't bring in hordes of tourists.

Warrington's own piazza with tower wouldn't bring in hordes of tourists.

Good job, as they would be dissappointed with the rest of the town!

Correct !! nothing left for anyone to see or do as regards the 'tourism' bracket ........... despite many, many offers of FREE help to promote the town's rich past and heritage (council seemingly blind to the fact of how important this town was at one time) they just aren't interested ........... unless one of the 'clique' members or 'face that fits' group suggests something .......... main problem being now is they're all frightened of their own shadow jobwise at the moment and any new ideas are not welcomed.

The promotion of the town's heritage will happen (I can guarantee it :wink: ) but it won't be anything to do with the council and they won't be 'jumping on the bandwagon' of it when it does happen either ......... all independent :wink:

The report expresses doubt about whether the tower is sound as an independent structure.

"The report" expresses doubt ?? :roll::lol: Which report Vic.... who wrote that then... is it like the other "reports" written by the council officers for example that I have read for other buildings which state the same doubts but are then proved wrong by structural assessments carried out by independant experts.

Infact has any structural evaluation been carried out on the tower at all .

There's plainly no viable alternative use for the tower - unless you think people would pay to go up it if (e.g.) a spiral staircase were installed.

Does it have to have an actual use Vic ? Although I must admit now you mention it I would happily pay to go up it.. what a good idea :D

Repair might cost less than demolition, but you have to make a judgment whether being a landmark is a point in its favour or whether it's no good being a landmark if it's just a faux medieval Italian tower. If not surrounded by other buildings, I suspect it might look rather fascinating, but not worth compromising the rest of the site for future development. Warrington's own piazza with tower wouldn't bring in hordes of tourists.

Ahh so you have now admited it... our heritage gets flattened simply because it MIGHT be in the way and compromise any possible future development

Until you know what the possible future development could be then you don't know wether the Tower (or anything else) would compromise it at all... it could actually be an asset :wink:

"The report" expresses doubt ?? :roll::lol: Which report Vic.... who wrote that then... is it like the other "reports" written by the council officers for example that I have read for other buildings which state the same doubts but are then proved wrong by structural assessments carried out by independent experts.

Infact has any structural evaluation been carried out on the tower at all .

Apparently (and not by council officers) - I'm not sure if the calculations are on the application on the website, which is a mess of different documents. The lower bit of the tower may be structurally dependent on older bits of the building, but it's the wind stress on a freestanding 30m tower that (they say) mean it would require substantial strengthening (as well as lots of work to spalling masonry and lateral cracks round corroded lintels).

Ahh so you have now admitted it... our heritage gets flattened simply because it MIGHT be in the way and compromise any possible future development

Until you know what the possible future development could be then you don't know whether the Tower (or anything else) would compromise it at all... it could actually be an asset :wink:

No, it gets flattened because it's dangerous among buildings that are dangerous. It's a part of the town's industrial heritage, but architecturally - while Pevsner (The Buildings of England) says it's "prominent", it's hardly an architectural masterpiece. Now this is what you'd call a factory worth saving: http://www.glesga.ukpals.com/green/templetons1.htm