For WBC - DANGER Sankey Street surface

Dizzy

Dear 'Whoever' at WBC.....

I am putting this on here on the chance that someone from WBC (councillor, gritter, highways dept etc) actually reads this and sorts the problem out before tomorrow. Unfortunately your offices were closed when I tried to ring you.

Are you aware of the current danger being posed to members of the public due to the inappropriate surface of the newly paved areas ouside of the Golden Square Shopping Center ?

Are you aware that where you have admirably cleard a pathway through the ice to allow shoppers the 'safe' passage between shops that this 'safe' passage is actually MORE DANGEROUS than walking on the ice itself. ?

Are you aware that where you have cleared the route, although it looks clear, it is now very wet and covered in a thin layer of SLUSH.

Are you aware that as soon as a person stands on the wet surface or slush the shiney surface of the paved area results in even the most careful of walkers slipping, sliding and even falling.

Are you aware that the reason for this is the totally unsuitable surface of the paved area in wet/slippery conditions ?

Are you also aware of HOW MANY PEOPLE HAVE SLIPPED AND FALLEN THERE TODAY... maybe you would like to stand there and monitor the slips and falls tomorrow and also take people's names and addresses to save them the added inconvenience of having to ring you to advise you of their forthcoming claim against you.

This REALLY NEEDS SORTING OUT ASAP and I trust you will give it your immediate attention :?

Thank you

they will probably read this post and send someone to put a sign up saying "caution slippery surface". after that you are on your own. if you slip it is your fault as you have been warned :wink:

on a similar note. if you have read this post and go there and slip and injure yourself then it is your fault as this post could be construed as a warning. if you did fall and later say that you read something about it on the web earlier then you would not have a leg to stand on as regarding a claim.

I noticed that :lol::wink:

Evils... surely its better to warn people and even if they put up some warning signs that would be a start.

The problem people were facing yesterday was that to the EYE it looked fine but the FEET told a different story without warning.

One woman went a right cropper outside TJ Hughes/M&S, I managed to grab my other half but we both nearly went over :oops: People were grabbing anyone and everything to try and stay upright as they slid :shock:

I have to go back into town later so I will be checking to see if they have done anything at all about it :wink:

Hello.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We were aware that there were problems in some pedestrian areas in the town centre - this is partly due to the way in which the existing grit gets 'churned up' by the volume of people walking on, but we will go back out now and check and re-grit as necessary. We'll also check the other main thoroughfares in the town centre.

The areas at the immediate entrances to Golden Square in each direction are the responsibility of the Golden Square management but we'll also give them a call and check they're on the case with more grit too.

WBC

Hello WBC!

While you're at it, can you please sort the new lights out at Kingsway/A57. Turning right from Kingsway towards Woolston is a scary experience in rush hour. You're facing 2 lanes of oncoming traffic, and if there happens to be a large vehicle turning (their) right across you, you can't see the lights 'cos there aren't any on the Woolston side of King Edward Street.

I'd suggest a right filter lane for traffic exiting King Edward Street, and a set of lights where they appear to be missing.

Thanx!

Hello WBC!

While you're at it, can you please sort the new lights out at Kingsway/A57. Turning right from Kingsway towards Woolston is a scary experience in rush hour. You're facing 2 lanes of oncoming traffic, and if there happens to be a large vehicle turning (their) right across you, you can't see the lights 'cos there aren't any on the Woolston side of King Edward Street.

I'd suggest a right filter lane for traffic exiting King Edward Street, and a set of lights where they appear to be missing.

Thanx!

Suggest you start this as a different topic.

Hello.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We were aware that there were problems in some pedestrian areas in the town centre - this is partly due to the way in which the existing grit gets 'churned up' by the volume of people walking on, but we will go back out now and check and re-grit as necessary. We'll also check the other main thoroughfares in the town centre.

The areas at the immediate entrances to Golden Square in each direction are the responsibility of the Golden Square management but we'll also give them a call and check they're on the case with more grit too.

WBC

Hello WBC :D

THANK YOU for taking the time to not only read my post but also for actually replying to it.... I never expected that :D

More importantly, thank you for addressing the problem and giving assurances that you will take a look at both the paved areas and also the other areas of concern in the town centre (including those managed by the Golden Square Management) and re-grit where necessary :D

Any chance you can now grit all the side roads and dangerous pavements elsewhere too... you can't blame me for trying :wink:

Dizzy