Upload your Snowy Scenes here :)

Dizzy

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peter T, brill photo's,

especially the one of Victoria Park (aka hospital). I was born there.

Excellent photos! Peter and a good pose by the dog. Sue did you know It's full name was the "Old Warps" I also was born there, June 10th 1940 so that makes us both true Merseysiders!, it also has a connection with the oldest horse ever recorded that ended his days in retirement on the Old Warps estate, 'Old Billy' was born at Wild Grave Farm in Woolston in 1760 spent his working days pulling barges along the Mersey & Irwell Navigation canal also known as the Black Bear canal & Old Quay canal, he died 22 Nov.1822 aged 62 years old, they had retired him in 1819 so the poor old lad only had 3 years retirement. :cry::wink:

Peter, yes he was born Billy but as he grew older he was known as 'Old Billy'. I must have had yet another 'Senior Moment' omitting that information.

As you say the snow on the branch are hanging almost like minature hammocks looks as if they started to thaw then the freeze caught them before gravity got them.

A couple taken this afternoon at St Elphins Church in Howley. They probably aren't going to be everyones cup of tea but I like a bit of dramatic processing now and then. Could I just say thanks to Dizzy for invigorating the photos section of the forum, you've done a grand job involving folk and getting people posting some fabulous images. Thank you and well done. :D

5277741703_ef987e7c4b_z.jpg

5277739435_642bdea100_z.jpg

WOW PJ :shock:

What software did you use on those ones? Amazing stuff.

Is that the sky that was on the original photo or have you blended two differenct images to create the effect (or some other clever method)

PS don't thank me ...... it's a joint venture between everyone eh :D

PITY SOME OTHER PEOPLE STILL AREN'T JOINING IN YET THOUGH... BAH HUMBUG :lol::wink:

PJ why don't you get some of your friends to upload some of theirs too :wink:

Hi Dizzy,

The 2 images are taken using a technique called HDR. It is basically a series of images where only the exposure changes, in this case I took 3 bracketed images 1 underexposed, one over exposed and one normally exposed. My camera has a setting which does this automatically and I think yours does too(look in your manual for exposure bracketing).

I run the 3 images through Photomatix software (free trial download is available here http://www.hdrsoft.com/download.html) This then merges the images and you adjust the sliders to get the "tone mapping" just how you like it.

Thats about it Dizzy, it sounds a lot more complicated than it is really, especially as I am not great at explaining things,and some of the images you get are well worth the extra bit of effort and the purchase of a tripod which is a great help.

Hi Algy, you are posting some great pics lately, I really like the weather vane image because of the crystal blues in the sky contrasting with the subject. Not that it matters but did you try inverting it so that the letters were the right way round? I dont know if it will improve the shot at all, just wondering. :D

PJ, I have just visited your Flickr photostream, must say I'm very impressed, you have a great eye for composition and very talented in spotting the potential for a 'unique' picture.

Thanks very much Algy but remember that I only put up my better stuff, there are tons and tons of failures you don't see.

please ignore my suggestion above re flipping the image, the "N" will still be wrong :oops::oops::oops::oops::lol:

We will be putting our own gallery photos up shortly - if anyone wants their photos including please email them in

You not joining in on here then Gary... spoil sport :roll::lol::P

Feel free to right click and copy any of mine for your own gallery (if any take your fancy that is :lol: ).

Not got time to email the origs as they are huge files so I'd have to resize them all :oops:

Thanks but I know that :wink:

Just being lazy and can't be bothered to find them all, open them all, resize them, save them then email them when a 'right click is easier' and it would give Gary something to do :lol::lol:

In fact I could just 'right click' on here myself then email those...never thought of that :oops::lol::lol:

Dizzy,

You can download Microsofts own image resizing software from microsoft.com. It then gives you a right click option to resize images (it creates a copy and leaves the original intact)

I use it all the time and I run Windows 7 and have no problems.

It takes seconds to do one and you can resize a batch too

Impressive images PJ.

Do you ever use Hoya/Cokin Polarizing Filters etc?

They work on any camera, digiatl or film.

Thanks Sue,

I do use filters and own loads that I hardly ever use too. I mostly use Neutral density Cokin filters when I want a longer exposure than conditions will allow such as landscape photography and I also have a Cokin circular polarising filter which I mainly use if I am out around midday and the sky is looking washed out.

None of my recent images used filters as i find them a bit of a mither when its freezing cold, its as much as I can manage to press the shutter :D

A lot of the effects from filters can be reasonably well replicated during post processing so I guesss a lot of folk don't bother.

Sue it was quite a specific question, is there a particular reason you asked?

Impressive images PJ.

Do you ever use Hoya/Cokin Polarizing Filters etc?

They work on any camera, digiatl or film.

Sue it was quite a specific question, is there a particular reason you asked?

PJ, I like to see and admire alll kinds of images however they are produced, I like to see creative people pushing the boundaries of their equipment to get effects that were not originaly intended for in the instruction manual. I am always intrigued that you can get similar effects but by using different techniques, eg, filters, tracing paper, toffee wrappers on lenses or post production in Photopshop.

I am a great fan and impressed with photoshop and other creative software that can aid artistic abillity, but I am more impressed with the person behind the camera, holding a brush or mouse to create artistic concepts!

Cheers Sue, I think I understand where you are coming from. Most of the images I take that I personally like seem not to impress many people but others which I feel are okish at best get raved over. I suppose its all subjective. I like to experiment and play with images/image taking but a lot comes out rubbish but I suppose thats how I learn. I'm happy if I just get 1 good image that is just how I wanted or imagined, after all 1 is enough really. 1 thing though Sue I've spoiled many a good image in post processing and had to scrap it but I've never made a good image in PP from a lousy picture. As the saying goes "you can't polish a turd" :D:D

I'd love you to have a peek at my Flickr images and let me know what you think, as honest as you wish as I've skin like a rhino...