Wood Burning Stoves.

Wingnut

With the fear of gas or electricity cuts/strikes, and being at the complete mercy of the gas and leccy barons, I am now seriously considering putting in a wood burning stove as a part secondary heating system.

I live in a smokeless zone, so would I be allowed to use a wood burning stove? as wood does cause smoke. I have also heard it said that wood burning is okay as it only produces white smoke. I think that any wood used for burning has to be stored and dryed for twelve months. Does anybody know the answer?

Interesting links... I never knew there were 'approved' wood burners I thought they were all the same :shock:

Wingy... We are in a smokless zone too and loads of people have then round here. They are fine as long as you don't burn stuff you shouldn't :wink:

We have quite a few friends who have them (although wether they are the 'approved' type I don't know). One things for sure they are great and so warm and cosy.... cheap to run too.

Another friend has recently had some quotes to have one fitted. Approx ?800 - ?1000 (ouch) but that does include the wood burner and the big tube (flue?) that goes up the chimney etc.

You can fit them youself though it you are a DIY clever clogs :wink:

And yet another friend (gosh didn't realsie I had so many :lol: ) just has an open fireplace. They burn both wood and/or smokeless coal on it. The wood burns quicker and gives off a different level of heat to the coals apparently.

Could be a cheaper option for you.

I'd love a wood burner but our chimneys are bricked up... bit scared of unbricking them incase they are full of 20+ years of rotting birds and other nasty stuff :shock::lol:

One of the links that I was reading says that wood is not on the approved list in a smokeless zone, so it's a bit confusing. I'll have to look further into it. Though in my expierience with this council, it all depends on who you speak to as to what answer you get.

I can get logs galore for free, and I already have a metal flu liner installed, so you just watch the council put the blockers on it for me. Have to agree with Baz though. Watching Levers belting it out really annoys me too.

By the sounds of it, these approved fireplaces have an underfloor flu which creates a draught to make the wood burn faster, hence less chance of smoke.

When I look back as to what my fire places once looked like, I must have been mad ripping them out for a more modern look. Oak surrounds and mantels, infilled with deep maroon tiles. The reflection of the fire in the tiles, was a sight to behold.

Considering all the crap that Crosfields, Levers and Solvay pump into the air, it makes a bit of a mockery of Warrington having any smokeless zones!

Baz, what proof do you have?

Industry isn't allowed to do what you suggest and spend millions of pounds to stop stuff escaping into the atmosphere.

A lot of stuff that does fall around here comes from Scandinavia or the desert. Acid rain and sand.

Just because you can see smoke doesn't mean that is what it is. it is normally steam at the factories that you have mentioned.

A year or so ago a customer at work said the council 'busy body' called round after receiving a complaint that there was smoke coming out of his chimney in a 'smokeless' zone. Nice neighbours eh :roll:

When they saw he was only burning wood and logs (rather than old syle coal) they said it was fine...... mmm ,maybe the rules are changing.

... having just googled briefly it does say at the bottom of the following site re the UK and log burners etc that "ovens, wood burners and stoves which have been specifically exempted and have passed tests to confirm that they are capable of burning an unauthorised or inherently smoky solid fuel without emitting smoke" :shock:

http://www.woodpelletstove.co.uk/information/smokeless_zones_information.html

Maybe a good time for you and everyone else to delete their posts just incase the councils busy bodies are reading as they will be out monitoring everyones chimneys tonight. :shock::lol::lol::lol:

Actually NO... let them do it cos it's blummin freezing and slippy out there :wink::lol:

I'm sure it's not as complicated 'rule wise' as it sounds though cos B&Q sell cast iron log burners (stoves) for ?300 and and they must be ok to use or they wouldn't be selling them eh :wink:

I'm sure that it's not in the energy companies or the governments best interests for everyone to start buying log burners though... think of the money they would loose.... 'soon to be banned' maybe :?:wink:

Considering all the crap that Crosfields, Levers and Solvay pump into the air, it makes a bit of a mockery of Warrington having any smokeless zones!

Baz, what proof do you have?

Industry isn't allowed to do what you suggest and spend millions of pounds to stop stuff escaping into the atmosphere.

A lot of stuff that does fall around here comes from Scandinavia or the desert. Acid rain and sand.

Just because you can see smoke doesn't mean that is what it is. it is normally steam at the factories that you have mentioned.

Quite recently there was a blanket of white powder that covered a lot of the town which came from the Levers site.....

I know they have a lot of stuff to minimise the outputs Peter, but such technology doesn't always work......

And the first line of your comment made me think the Kije had hijacked your account; that is normally his opening gambit