Which two decades of music would you choose?

Sue Durnim

If you were to live for ever on a distant island, never to return and were given a choice of only two decades of music that you were allowed to listen to, what two decades would they be? And why?

(Your choices can be from any century, for those of a classical disposition)

Choice : For me it would be a very easy, the 60?s and 70?s.

Why : These two era?s seem to encapsulate bands, solo artists and song writers that were and still are ground breaking, unique and often mimicked by today?s wannabe?s.

50s & 60s because they were simply the best for music and I was the right age to appreciate the changes; I exclude the Beatles, although they were responsible for a lot of the changes in British music they were nowhere near the best, they just happened to get noticed first.

No it's not difficult at all Dizzy. Well, it would be if you included classical. You'd be thinking in terms of centuries rather than decades.

But for pop, there is no doubt the 20s and 30s were the golden age of popular music. Gershwin, Cole Porter, Irving Berlin, Rogers and Hart, etc, etc. Nothing to compare ever since. The odd good song, yes, but for quality and quantity no other decade comes near. That's why they are still being played today.

In fact, if none of them had existed other than Gershwin, it would still have been the best period.

All before my time, I hasten to add, but I have taken the trouble to look back instead of just listening to the current stuff.

However, for anyone who has listened only to post World War 2 music, you can't expect them to know any better. Forgive them, Father, they know not what they do!

45 to 65, including the Big Bands, C & W, Blues and Soul.

I liked some of the 60's groups but they became very predictable. I enjoyed the change from Sinatra and that ilk to Presley and Bill Hailey, but when Rock and Roll went ballady, I didn't enjoy it as much.

But there again, I also appreciated musicals and classics.

The yardstick was did it get my foot tapping and me on the dance floor. :wink:

:lol::lol: Was wondering how old you were then for a second :wink:

Adam you might know the answer to this although it's slightly off topic (forgive me :wink: )

Whats the name of the 'chap' and his orchestra that has been advertised on the tv occasionally in the past few weeks. I think it was for a dvd or cd but not seen it again and I need to know... any idea :oops:

Dizzy. Don't know why you should think I would know!! I hardly ever watch commercial TV and when I do I record it and fast forward through the ads. So you'll have to give me a bit more info I am afraid.

On the other hand, at this time of the year they often issue new albums by people like James Last and his Orchestra. Could it be him?

All very slick and professional but pretty shallow.

Bit like Jules Holland. You don't mean him do you?

My advice: keep away from it.

Ohhh Adam... thought you would know as it's classical 'type' music (well not rock or pop anyway).

If I had more info I could find it myself... definately not James Last or Jules H as I'd remember them.

You're useless and not as knowleagable re: music as I thought :wink::P

Might have to buy him Les Miserable instead now 8)

70's and 80's taking in the NWOBHM with the creation of bands like Iron Maiden, Saxon, Def Leppard, Rainbow, Whitesnake to compliment their forefathers like Black Sabbath, Quo and Deep Purple (although formed in the late 60's delivered their best stuff in the 70s).

The forefathers of heavy rock who sent their message around the world helping create the likes of AC/DC, Kiss & Guns n Roses!

Rock n Roll! :twisted:

Virtually impossible to pick just 2, so am going for 50's, 60's, 70's & 80's :P ....... with the 50's high on the list.

Each decade influences the styles of the next one to follow, without the music and styles of the 50's then things would have struggled to develop, there would have been a much, much later development of pop and rock.

However, without going back to the 20's & 30's then music would have struggled even more, quite simply because these 2 decades were the ones where amplification and the use of electrified guitars and instruments were introduced ......... without which there would have been a very late development in styles of music.

It's also a bit beyond belief that some people only say they listen to one particular genre of music (usually just to sound cool to others :roll: ) ......... listening to just one style means you miss out on so much of what there is from other genres.

Virtually impossible to pick just 2, so am going for 50's, 60's, 70's & 80's :P ....... with the 50's high on the list.

tonymailman2?you are cheating by having more than two.

Going off track a little?

...I do listen to more than one type of music style, as I often listen to the radio, but appreciate the music from the 60?s and 70?s, it seems more genuine, original and less contrived than today?s style of popular music.

Rap style music? is taking over the airwaves, they sound the same, look the same, dance the same, the beats the same, the message the same?boring!

But as they say in marketing, if you do not like it, then you are not the target audience! :wink: