Save Woolston CHS tonight 5:15pm - Town Hall

Geoff Settle

Geoff, having it "called in" to scrutiny. I'm led to believe is a group of impartial councillors and a few others who will make sure i's are dotted and t's crossed and that everything is above board. They can vote to allow verbal representation as they did for Warrington Baths. Or written only I think. Basically check the stats are correct. I will stand to be corrected, as this is a new experience for me.

Regards

Paul

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Geoff Settle:

Pete did you introduce yourself?

The top brass were there and knew who I was.

Mike Hughes, Alan Stephenson, Maureen Banner, and that lovely lady who went to North West Development.

Strange how these people only turn up with "bad" news and never during the year to lend their support.

Politicians/Councillors seem more intent on destruction in the Communities, rather than treasuring what is there.

There is a saying. "Where there's a will, there's a way".

Pity that is no longer the case.

Warrington is allegedly a growing town, with more houses and businesses, yet Schools, Post Offices, Community/Youth centres and swimming baths are closed.

Doesn't make a lot of sense really. :x

Originally posted by Paul Andrews:

Geoff, having it "called in" to scrutiny. I'm led to believe is a group of impartial councillors and a few others who will make sure i's are dotted and t's crossed and that everything is above board. They can vote to allow verbal representation as they did for Warrington Baths. Or written only I think. Basically check the stats are correct. I will stand to be corrected, as this is a new experience for me.

Regards

Paul

Any idea who these 'impartial councillors' will be - how can any of our councillors be impartial?

There are those for and those against!!

Where are these three wise people to be found at this time of the year, Advent?

Some people never consider the bigger picture when making decisions or the impact on Communities. They just look at the bottom line and use Government edicts to justify the easy option.

Solutions can always be found using dialogue, but these problems should be discussed when the problem is just raising its head, NOT when it is too late. The swimming baths being a fine example.

Get your facts straight. There was more than one Peter who wanted to save the TWO Community Centres that you agreed to close.

But don't lose any sleep over it we are fighting back and will NOT let any jumped-up politicians stop us from improving the Community and networking with other Communities. WE WILL SUCCEED IN SPITE OF THE DESTROYERS.

Remember, what goes round comes round.

Is it any wonder that CAP failed in Warrington?

On the subject of calling in for scrutiny, why the change of heart. When Cllr Froggatt was asking for just one person from the two other parties to join with Labour in order for it to be called in, nobody would, now at the 11th hour not one but five Liberal Democrats want it called in, why the change of heart....Christmas spirit and good will to all men sort of stuff is it. :confused:

[ 08.12.2007, 18:22: Message edited by: Paul Kennedy ]

Good to hear it's been called in for scrutiny but....

Are you convinced that a scrutiny group employed by, and being a part of, the council are in fact that independant :wink:

Also by taking it to the 'scrutiny panel' there is also the strong posibility that the panel will come to the conclusion that the decision making process was carried out correctly according to necessary procedures etc and therefore the council will have ONE MORE TICK in a relevant box should you or any other body :wink: ever come to question their decision at a later date.

Don't be conned by false hopes or indeed false support from anyone. Be on your guard and be one step ahead at all times.

There will be people out there who are on your side simply to find out what you are all upto.

If the council or anyone else want to meet with you try to keep something back as in some instances it is just a ploy to find out where you are coming from, how much you undertand, what you are doing next, if you really DO have a case against them etc etc so they can counter-attack you at the first or second hurdle.

No I'm not mad, I just know how the buggers work :wink:

Dismayed.

You cynic. LOL :D

I have said before, these things are normally already decided. No amount of sabre rattling is likely to change things.

I personally think that these issues fall into two camps. the Government related issues and the Private sector.

The former seem to be a "Fait accompli" and whilst paying lip service to consultation, the decisions have already been taken.

The latter can be swayed by people, as in the case of the Waste Station at Lower Wash Lane in Latchford, but it has to be remembered that you are not only fighting the applicant but the council as well. :x

Perhaps also worth pointing out that the Exec are effectively their own judge and jury as I believe that they can choose whether to take on board/proceed with recommendations from Scrutiny (if any are made).

However... with an eye on what is motivating decisions, it is important to try keep an open mind. There is support from all Labour Councillors and eleventh hr support from Lib Dem better than none! (I do wish it had been a little sooner, must admit...)

Thursday will make interesting viewing.