Student Fees Poll

Gary

Do you still feel supportive towards students over the rise in tuition fees?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Do you still feel supportive towards students over the rise in tuition fees?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice one, obs.

As wolfie mentions, the apprenticeship rate is ?2.50 an hour, hardly extortionate to an employer, and they get the training paid for. They don't like it, but for the majority of the young people I work with, this isn't the barrier.

There are lots of kids who are studying and trying to find some work too, not many jobs out there though. They're not all workshy and looking for an easy ride y'know.

Asp is correct... there are kids doing both :wink:

As for apprenticeships... virtually impossible to get in some fields of work hence the kids all finish up on full time college courses instead. Full time being around three days a week and only 1/4 of that seems to be learning about the actual trade itself :?:roll:

... there are kids doing both

Yes, and my guess would be that for ever one who's doing that, there's at least another on who wants to.

Don't do those kind of programmes where I work.

I was referring to the kids who go out and find themselves a part time job... I was not referring to specific 'programmes'... infact what do you mean by that ? :?

Baz is actually right in a way.

With all the experienced but unemployed people available to fill vacancies it often does not make it viable for a business to take on unexperienced or young trainees/staff when they can get fully qualified and skilled people for not much more. Not to mention all the new H&S twaddle that is applied to young apprentices from colleges etc too :cry:

It sounds like you want to pay under it Baz :?:

Not necessarily, I have never paid the minimum wage; always well above it, but what I mean is that I agree with the minimum wage, but there does need to be some leaway say when a person first starts for a company when they have to be brought up to speed or when a company doesn't actually make an awful lot of profit such as those that now use cheap european labour where they live 20 to a house and have little or no overheads.

A person living in the normal way would not compete because the playing field isn't level.

I have the same problem Baz, All engineers at our place have to have at least a HND in electrical engineering, when they come out of college they are not very quick, it take time and money to get them up to speed, I would rather take some one on that is time served (nick some one from a competitor who knows the job) than take a trainee on, having said that we do often take trainees on, In such cases we pay above the minimum wage, If they are any good after 2 years we pay them what we think they are worth or get rid and start again.

Think perhaps we're all missing the point here? These kids are the (or should be) THE future workforce, so in order to employ them and set them on a career path, we need to train and educate them. The success or failiure of our future economy will depend on a highly skilled and flexible workforce that can keep us one step ahead of the global competition. Our main competitor (China), is already buying up high end technology companies throughout the world, and thus increasing their capacity to compete. My only gripe, is that WE seem totally incapable of planning or preparing beyond each 5 yr election, plus, the higher education on offer tends to be mickey mouse degrees and/or a sop to massage the dole figures. SO - this brings us to a key question in relation to economic policy:- Should we be cutting investment in training, innovation, research etc, in order to balance the books now OR should we be continueing with economic stimulus by investing in economic growth? :?

The UK has never been good at R&D, Most machinery in UK plants is very old, We can neither compete on wages or on speed of manufacture, due to lack of re investment, I am not blaming any government for this, its UK bosses that are to blame. We have never done it over here, Alot more of japanese company profits are re invested back into there companies, while over here we pay share holders.

Diz:

I was referring to the kids who go out and find themselves a part time job..

I know you were, so was I: but the way you phrased that suggests that you think these part-time jobs are there for the taking, they're not. Particularly for people who don't have any experience, and maybe not much else either.

...what do you mean by that ?

I was using "programmes" as a generic term, referring to this:

Full time being around three days a week...

That isn't typical of the college I work at.

..and only 1/4 of that seems to be learning about the actual trade itself...

Wouldn't know about that, but there's not many people I know who served an apprenticeship and enjoyed it.

Kije:

If you had the choice between taking on an experienced person or a trainee, you would go for the experienced person every time if the wage demand was the same. I employ people as well If you don't need to invest in training don't its a cost.

That's why (cheap as they are) apprenticeships aren't popular with employers: when there's queues of ready mades out there, why bother? But like I said, training is paid for, still got to pay the (low) wage though.

Baz:

...but there does need to be some leaway say when a person first starts for a company when they have to be brought up to speed...

There is, it's that ?2.50 apprenticeship rate.

Obs:

I was with you all the way in your High Noon post until you mentioned "Mickey Mouse" degrees - again!

Kije, again:

The UK has never been good at R&D...

Not sure that's true.