Local Council HEALTH Champions - new money?

Dizzy

Good idea or bad idea ?

Local Council Health Champions set to oversee certain areas of our health and to dish out the new funding locally where 'they' think it's needed.... :?

http://latestnews.virginmedia.com/news/uk/2010/11/30/health_plans_empower_communities

Warrington had a Heritage Champion and look where that got us... buildings dead and buried on landfill sites :shock::lol:

Well. the in word at the moment is "nudge"; folk will be "nudged" into changing their life styles; and stop smoking, drinking and eating junk foods. Question is; what level of persuasion is necessary to attain results? Will telling folk that they will suffer premature death make them change? Or does it require more radical interventions from the Nanny State, via the tax system or with bans? And, IF we achieve higher levels of longevity, will this impose the burdens associated with old age, bigger pension bill, elderly care etc.? And will it distort even further the social demographic, with even more grumpies being supported by ever less young workers? OK, perhaps less demand on the NHS through those complains derived from a bad lifestyle, but longevity itself can add to the burdens of the NHS, for example alzeimers, which is estimated to radically increase in the future. And should we in a free society, be telling/forcing folk into specific lifestyle choices? :?

They need to start handing leaflets out to primary kids saying things like..... "if your mummy and daddy smoke, they stink and they are going to die very soon unless they stop.........."

Then all the kids will start to badger their parents and I can bet it will reduce the number of smokers a lot quicker than nudging!

It's not the job of government or their various agencies to change peoples lifestyles. Dedicated drinkers, smokers and junk food eaters aren't going to take any notice in any case. To be honest some of these nanny state pronouncements make me feel like taking up smoking and doing a spot of binge drinking myself just because it would be my choice, not the governments aspiration. :evil::evil:

But smoking is a terrible habit which robs children of their parents every year. It isn't about the nanny state it is about common sense.

It is common sense that the government should stop people smoking; just like they stop people buying sub-machine guns from ASDA and stop people from cycling on the motorway....

So is it the smokers who lack common sense? If smoking is as dangerous as you say why is it legal? Where is the logic in that? I'm not a smoker but I think the anti-smoking hysteria has gone much too far, and the anti everything brigade are turning their sights onto other groups that they can marginalise and turn into pariahs such as drinkers and the "obese" (whatever the latest definition of that is). Live and let live. If people want to smoke and destroy their health, well its their health they are destroying after all. :wink::wink::wink:

Kids lose their parents for all sorts of reasons Baz, mainly cos of divorce or the casual nature of their conception. Folk are getting killed all the time on our roads - should we ban cars? Generations throughout history have boozed and smoked, and died young - and the fact they died young, obscured the existance of age related diseases; and despite this cull, the human population continues to expand beyond the capacity of the Planet's natural resources. Perhaps, rather than concentrating on the length of life (for it's own sake), we should be concentrating on the quality of one's life, however brief? :?

All makes very interesting reading...... ok so the NHS don't treat people for smoking/obesity etc and local councils take over the responsibility.......... will WBC for example follow the findings of their newly appointed Health Champion and spend the money where/how it is needed 'health wise' ?

OR will the money somehow find it's way being spent elsewhere or on other things ? (traffic lights and road changes maybe :lol:) that's enought to raise my stress levels and blood pressure for starters :lol:

I'm still not sure that some councils taking over responsibility is a good idea.

You ony have to look at the local Warringtons NHS Primary Care Mental Health Team (run by WBC).... from what I have seen it is a complete shambolic farce and one hand doesn't seem to know what the other is doing... so nothing gets done :?

Listening to the Yank who wrote the book about "nudge", it would appear a recipe for complacency. There has been a simple mechanism for controlling public behaviour, and it's been around for eons - it's called the tax system. No lectures - no bans - just a simple increase in tax on those things that are bad for us, and a subsidy for those things that are good for us - simples. :wink: