Walton Gardens. Wonderful but...

Waltonian

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tom..... There are more people on your side :wink: and to be fair everyone gets some 'stick' on here from time to time so please don't take it personally (not that you probably have as you replies have shown :lol::wink: )

Please keep posting and stay on here as your posts are EXCELLENT both in the written way and content... good to read some constructive and informative comments for a change :wink:

As for the ideas you posted for Walton Gardens re: the young volunteers and funding etc. that sounds a really good idea.

Not only would it give youngsters a focus but by involving them in various projects and events would also make them more aware of the work that goes into running the park and indeed the youth project.... makes them feel involved and part of a team with maybe even a little pride of 'achievement' too eh ?

Maybe the youth project could work with the local colleges and arrange 'projects' at Walton Gardens for their students. Some of them could do with an interst outside of college other than xbox live.

What I'm thinking is for example jobs around the park or in the buildings. Warrington Collegiate has for example students training in decorating, joinery, plastering, brickwork, electricians etc etc.

I'm not suggesting that they rebuild buildings or anything like that :lol: but there must be a lot of smaller jobs around the estate or in some of the less used buildings suitable for them to put their skills to. I don't know maybe they could revamp the heritage yard, cafe, build fences, walled areas.... there must be a lot of jobs that could be done and I'm sure the people running the park would have a long list of possibilities .Of course supervision from college tutors/others would be needed.

These sorts of projects would not only benefit the estate but also the students as learning and putting new found skills to the test by doing 'real jobs' rather than being stuck in a college workshop would be a great opportunity for them.... cheap labour too as you wouldn't have to pay them :wink:

Of course there will probably be some numpty who says... 'Ooooh we can't do that due to Health and Safety' :roll:

And so as not to appear sexist....maybe even something run by the girls from Hair and Beauty course... perhaps a pamering event one weekends, massage, nails, hair styling (whatever else they do) ... all at reduced rates or donations with money going to into the 'park fund pot'. They run those in the college so there is no reason why they couldn't run them off site too.

Anyway, my brain is going into overdrive now and I'm rambling again. :oops:

Keep up the good work Tom as you sound like a very hard working, motivated and determined young man. I'm impressed with your spirit and hope that many of the youngsters you are involved with follow in your footsteps :D:wink:

Well I think we've all learnt from this :D

And did you mean what's right with the Daily Mail? :wink:

Tom - you are doing a great job representing young people in Warrington - I wish there were more like you. Don't let yourself get bitten by Wolfie - although his bark is worse than his bite! :wink::lol:

When I first outlined here last spring what Warrington BC was going to do to Walton Gardens I was told I was talking complete rubbish. Tom is having the same difficulty. He tried hard to get back to the topic, but it seems impossible to get some people to think and contribute positively.

Tom's ideas, along with many others are positive and contribute to the debate. As he and Dizzie have outlined there are many ways in which the Gardens could benefit from voluntary and youth help. Various suggestions have been made to engage students and it would be very sad if Warrington BC fail to use these opportunities.

My task at the moment on behalf of the Walton Estate Advisory Group is simply to encourage as many people as possible to consider how the Estate might be improved. Sadly I guess many people who might have responded to the simple challenge Walton Gardens. Wonderful but..... will have been put off by the debate(?) that has ensued. So twice now my efforts to help the people of Warrington have been hijacked (or pwned?? I still don't understand it).

Should I bother??

When I first outlined here last spring what Warrington BC was going to do to Walton Gardens I was told I was talking complete rubbish. Tom is having the same difficulty. He tried hard to get back to the topic, but it seems impossible to get some people to think and contribute positively.

Tom's ideas, along with many others are positive and contribute to the debate. As he and Dizzie have outlined there are many ways in which the Gardens could benefit from voluntary and youth help. Various suggestions have been made to engage students and it would be very sad if Warrington BC fail to use these opportunities.

My task at the moment on behalf of the Walton Estate Advisory Group is simply to encourage as many people as possible to consider how the Estate might be improved. Sadly I guess many people who might have responded to the simple challenge Walton Gardens. Wonderful but..... will have been put off by the debate(?) that has ensued. So twice now my efforts to help the people of Warrington have been hijacked (or pwned?? I still don't understand it).

Should I bother??

Yes! But sometimes you will feel as though you are banging your head against a brick wall! :roll:

Everything of the above sounds perfect, I'll take those suggestions forward to IMPACT and the Volunteer centre, as I'm sure each group will look into the feasibility of them and will most likely end up a big health and safety procedure before anything constructive actually happening :wink:

I bet we don't see poor young Tom on here again!

Hounded off by Wolfie and co! :roll::oops:

Everything of the above sounds perfect, I'll take those suggestions forward to IMPACT and the Volunteer centre, as I'm sure each group will look into the feasibility of them and will most likely end up a big health and safety procedure before anything constructive actually happening :wink:

I bet we don't see poor young Tom on here again!

Hounded off by Wolfie and co! :roll::oops:

Do you mean poor as in being a council house chav?

Bl**dy hell Eagle and Wolfie.... :roll:

Tom and Waltonian... you might as well give up on here after all as 'some people' just wont listen or let you do what you are trying to do Then again it may put you in good stead for dealing with the council in future :wink: