Would it be a good thing?

harry hayes

If the media went back to reporting news. Everything now seems to have to be dissected and mulled over a thousand times. Every item is a shade of grey.

Today I have heard nothing other than Lord Young's gaffe - some saying he's right and others......

On the lunch-time news they reported that the government is putting its spending figures on line so we can see what's what. I thought to myself that that is a good thing, but the next line was "but critics say".

Can we never be left to make up our own minds on the reported news. That's how it used to be.

Happy days

Actually Lord Young was nearer the truth (if the stats are an indicator) as folk care to think, at least for some folk. Obviously, he won't be affected by public sector redundancies or benefit drops. However, the thing nowadays seems to be all about "creating an impression, by saying the right things at the right time" rather than saying what you actually think. And if you do make a gaffe, an "apology" seems to be the cure all for any offence caused to sensitive souls. :roll:

the good old days. I agree with you, but can people think for themselves any more?

The public of the UK are being brain washed into thinking the government party line or propaganda if you will, it seems people are being directed to think in a certain way to appease what governments what us to think and do.

May be there should be more independent news channels or other countries news channels that we can access for free and then make our own mind up. I appreciate one can get news from the web, radio and a few channels on Sky etc, but access to world news on multiple levels is the key. Then reading between the lines of propaganda from where ever one can decide what is the truth or what goes unreported, as big as the BBC/SKY it is impossible to report all news stories?

the good old days. I agree with you, but can people think for themselves any more?

The public of the UK are being brain washed into thinking the government party line or propaganda if you will, it seems people are being directed to think in a certain way to appease what governments what us to think and do.

EXACTLY. You have hit the nail on the head.

Think we need to thank an ever more trivalised media for this: they fail to distinguish between - fact - opinion - and reaction. All this fuss was about what Lord Young said; not an analysis of the factual situation, which could have meant he was factually correct or at least partially correct. More evidence of the current obsession with playing the man instead of the ball. :roll: