This will get you all upset....

Bazj

Did you know that it costs 60p a minute for a young offender to call his family while in a young offenders institute?

Listening to the radio tonight, that is what someone from the Howard legue for penal reform said...... Well my heart bleeds, and apparently he reckons that is why the young scum bags were rioting for the last two nights; that and because they are not treated with respect!!

I think solitary confinement and an automatic doubling of the sentence and a removal of parole for all those involved would be the least that should be done.

It really pigs me off when these doo gooding prats rattle on about prisoner rights..... I mean they may be getting the vote now!! What next, just not bother to prosecute them?

Am I missing something, I thought going to prison or a youth offending establishment was suppose to a punishment and that civil liberties are denied you because you were convicted of crime?

Exactly what I was thinking..... of course the voting nonsense is all down to Kijes beloved EU, but the phone thing shocked me that much, it nearly had me giving way for a cyclist!!

About time prison became a punishment and not a holiday camp. If little Johnny misses mummy so much; he shouldn't be a naughty boy should he?

Penal Servitude was abolished in the UK by an act of parliament in 1948. This Act replaced the concept of prison being a place where further punishment - whether by hard labour or harsh conditions - took place, with one where the simple denial of liberty was considered to be the punishment element of a convicts sentence.

I'm afraid that even I can't blame europe for that one!

From a rehabilition point of view, continued contact with positive influences and "normality" such as family members is considered pretty much essential, especially in the case of youth offenders. So 60p a minute to phone home - out of a convicts weekly wages of maybe ?6 to ?8 per week for working voluntarily in the prison kitchens or on one of the other work schemes the prison will have running - does seem a bit counter-productive.

:lol: Good old Baz! Much as I want to agree with you, we can't blame this one on the EU. The European Convention on Human Rights was a seperate Treaty that we are signed up to; it's appeal decisions evidently allow an "unelected" court, to overule the "elected" parliament of this Country. There is of course a simple solution - just renage on the Treaty at the same time as we renage on the Treaty of Rome - thus freeing ourselves of all this liberal PC nonesense. :wink:

From a rehabilition point of view, continued contact with positive influences and "normality" such as family members is considered pretty much essential, especially in the case of youth offenders. So 60p a minute to phone home - out of a convicts weekly wages of maybe ?6 to ?8 per week for working voluntarily in the prison kitchens or on one of the other work schemes the prison will have running - does seem a bit counter-productive.

I agree with the point, but 'wages' and working 'voluntarily' do not go together in my book!

Why is there an element of volunteering at all? Either they are do some sort of educational course or they work - that should be compulsory to my mind. They need to have structure and discipline to rehabilitate them back into the community to lead useful lives. Doing nothing should never be an option.

There isn't the facility for them all to take on jobs.

There isn't the facility for them all to take on jobs.

The original post was about young offenders therefore there are plenty of community tasks they could perform, (I know some do gardening) to make sure they are occupied. Surely part of their rehabilitation should be to show them there are options other than to do nothing, which probably led to them doing wrong in the first place.