problem logging in

algy

I have had problems logging in - username & password accepted and taken to the forum index but the log in box at top of the page was still showing as if I hadn't logged in and I wasn't able to post, contacted Gary who logged straight in using my username & p/word, I then tried again after carrying out Gary's instructions and it failed to log me in as before.

Details: the problem has only arrisen since going on Windows 7 using Firefox as my browser, went back to using IE8 and bingo everything is ok, I was peviously using Firefox on XP and never had a problem, I really would like to stay on Firefox as my dedicated browser as it's much faster than IE8 any suggestions on how to get around the problem would be welcome.

Algy.

It is a caching (memory) problem algy - others had the same problem when first going on firefox - I had the same issue when I changed but I am now using fire fox with no problems.

From memory there is something you need to change in your caching settings on firefox.

Dizzy/Gary I was running XP until last week when my 8yr old desk top finally gave up on me and went out & bought a laptop that had Win7 already installed I loved XP but at the moment have mixed feelings about 7. Hope someone can come up with an answer as I love Firefox.

Algy.. are you using the 'log me on automatically each visit' option or are you manually logging in each time with your username / password ? Could be something to do with that as I always manually log in as I don't like storing passwords.

Have you tried deleting your cookies ? Go to 'Tools'... 'Options'... 'Privacy'.... then click 'Delete Cookies'. Then try logging in again.

Firefox also uses a 'Password Manager' and this link says what to do if it is not working.

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Username+and+password+not+remembered?s=username&as=s

daft question..... have you got the latest version of Firefox and are there different versions for XP and Windows 7 ?

I am no expert though as I only downloaded it today.. :oops

Don't like it though as it takes ages to open so going back to IE8 for a bit now :lol:

firefox should work ok with windows 7 but it is a 32bit program and windows 7 is 64 bit.( not being that it savvy i am not sure what the difference is in terms of running programs) however windows 7 will run 32 bit stuff.

one thing to check is that you have set firefox to accept cookies this can be done under the options menu in the privacy section. also check that you have the latest firefox which should be 3.6.11

one thing to check is that you have set firefox to accept cookies this can be done under the options menu in the privacy section. also check that you have the latest firefox which should be 3.6.11

That is what you need to do - I remember now - you have to make Firefox a cookie monster! :roll: