Critics Choice

Wingnut

We are at that time of year again, frosty mornings, which put a spring in your step. Or time for relaxing in the armchair, and listening to your favourite tunes on radio or cd, if you can get an hour to yourself.

At the moment I am putting together a compilation of classical music for my own New Years Day Concert. Something bright, cheery, and traditional by Strauss. I will probably start off with the Champagne Polka.

Any recommendations as to what to follow it up with? to welcome the New Year in?

Good choice Dizz.

I saw one version sang and played by The Manchester Cameratta at the Parr Hall. The Cellist got his elbow caught in the curtain behind him, and the trumpeter had to stand off stage to get the affect in "And The Trumpet Shall Sound".

Somebody I knew had a grand daughter who was one of the violinist's so I got free tickets. 8) Shortly afterwards they had a Vienese evening. Perfect.

It has been said that you have never heard Handels - Messiah until you have heard the version by Huddersfield Choral Society (the version they usually play on the wireless) :wink:

• 2 weeks later...