Depression?

observer

With around 1/2million public sector jobs due to go, plus an estimated 1/2million knock on effect in the private sector; price rises - VAT, 25% increase in rail fares, petrol due to rise etc. So; less folk paying taxes, more folk claiming dole, with less money to spend - surely this will depress growth? And where are all these new jobs coming from in the private sector, if everyone is spending less? :?

I think we should wait to see what happens rather than believing the hype of the media - after all it's not all going to happen at once.

I don't think there is too much hype on the media relating to this - the media are suffering more than most in the current economic down turn.

Fortunately we provide a cost-effective alternative for many businesses to promote themselves - so we are not suffering as much as some.

But the cut back in national and local government spending is going to leave a big black hole in the economy and a lot of people are going to be out of work for the first time in their lives. :cry:

Shedding half a million un-necessary public sector jobs will save bucket loads of cash even if every single one of them ends up on the dole.

After all, we currently pay them to acheive next to nowt. So why not pay them far less - and stop them racking up final salary pension entitlements our children can't afford - to do the same on the dole?

I just hope this does'nt slide us into a panic situation where it affects our manufacturing base (what there is remaining of it) I remember in the late sixties early seventies when a large number of companies pulled the plug especially the engineering manufacturing companies who either sold out or were bought out and moved abroad leaving hundreds of thousands unemployed and unfortately when this situation arrises it turns those that have nothing against those that have something and the crime rate escalates, I have a pal who is in the prison service and the amount of ex services men that have been forced out of the military and have turned to crime is astounding, this for some reason has not yet reached the media, these guys were not criminals but have turned so out of shear desperation a lot of them have been trained for jobs that no longer exist in civvy street. A sad state of affairs with all parties blaming each other.

For every "public sector" worker, there'll be one, if not more, private sector jobs, relying on Gov or Local Gov contracts, that will go. Unemployment and price rises will act to suppress consumer demand, thus stifling growth - no doubt the electorate will get there own back at the next election! :roll:

The labour stance seems to be that all these public sector employees are going to be shelved to the dole queue. knowing this is coming, the creme will find alternative jobs.

the rest are probably Gravy train riders.

as to the cuts in services. well they are long overdue, I (as a tax payer...blah blah) am sick of funding needless layers of government and departments who do not service me.

its about time the chaff was extracted, funny how labour has all the "right way to do things" now, the muck hit the fan nearly 3years ago, had labour had 2 years to implement them before they were kcked out..funny they didnt seem to have all the answers then.

To a certain extent, your right Lege: top managers in LAs and the NHS, will no doubt take their golden handshakes then set up as "consultants". in order to continue milking the cow, as outsourcing is increased in the belief it's cheaper. Meanwhile, the great majority of public sector workers, who were looking forward to an average pension under 7K pa, frozen till they retire - will be looking for private sector jobs that are going to magically appear in a climate of suppressed demand and reluctance by the very Banks that we've baled out, to lend to small buisiness. However, as we suspected and the as the IFS has confirmed, the poorest and most vunerable will be taking the biggest hit proportionally - meanwhile, the Bankers will still be getting their ?7billion in bonuses, so not quite" the broadest shoulders bearing the heaviest load". :roll:

The cuts are taking priority at present, but don't forget that the increase in Personal Allowances for Income Tax purposes, due in April, will help those on lower incomes to keep more of their money. I know the National Insurance rate is rising as well but overall, I think it will still give most low earners more cash in their pockets.