Pot and Kettle

Adam

Elton John is apparently critical of modern pop music.

He is reported to have said: ?Songwriters today are pretty awful, which is why everything sounds the same. Contemporary pop isn?t very inspiring.?

Well, the man may be right. Wouldn't argue with him one bit.

But, Ye Gods, doesn't he realise he was a major contributor to the general decline which started, probably, just after the war, and has continued ever since?

Gosh Adam I'd hardly say Elton John was a contributor to the decline in decent music. Have you ever listened to any of his music :shock::lol: Personally I think he's done some very good stuff in his time :wink:

Totally agree with you Dizzy and Elton John, the music of today is just mimicking the music and mucians of the past, no one seems original anymore, bands and solo artists of today are too contrived, I blame the over-rated and over hyped Simon Cowell factor.

You are probably right there although it seems to be what the younger people want to hear and see these days.

My other half just said the decline in music started with the likes of Stock Aitken & Waterman and their 'talent' such as the squeaky Australian dwarf :lol::lol:

(At least he's joining in on forum chat from a distance now :lol: ) As for SC he thinks he should be euthanised :shock: although I quite like him actually :wink:

Adam... what do you think of Phil Collins ?

Adam... what do you think of Phil Collins ?

Wasn't he a motor cyclist?

I've probably been a little unfair on Elton John, but that's because he was the one to open his mouth.

But the guy can't sing, is only a very amateurish pianist and the lyrics to his songs are mainly infantile to say the least. Anyone who really thinks much of him is a musical illiterate.

I'm told Rick Astley isn't too bad, but can't recall ever having heard him so I don't really know.

The late Benny Green, who knew a thing or two about popular music, was right when he said the "Golden Age" of popular music was between the two world wars. There has been little of note since. It is not so much that there aren't good singers and songwriters around, it is that public taste has declined so much that they don't get heard any more.

Elton John and Bernie Taupin as partnership and as individuals have written some of the best and most memorable music.

I personally have a varied mix of music taste, however because of the deline in the standard of todays music, I tend to rely and listen more to the music of the 60's, 70's 80's at least in them decades there was a standard of musician, music and song writing abiliity that was and still is worth listening too.

Adam... I am a 'musical illiterate' then and I enjoy being one as there is a mass of good music out there if you open your ears and allow them to listen :lol::wink:

As for Elton John's ameteur skills on the piano that you refer too... did you know he was trained at the Royal Academy of Music where he had a love of playing Bach, Chopin, Handel etc and did so to perfection acording to his tutors... do you like him any better now :wink::D

... and many of his song lyrics are very meaningful too :wink:

What sort of music/songwiters do you like, I've forgotten sorry, but I'd suggest you stay away from Rick Astley as he is really bad :wink:

Silverlady

You don't have to train to be a musician to know rubbish when you hear it! As it happens, I have some very modest musically training but I don't, unlike Elton John, get up on a stage and inflict it upon the general public. So you won't be hearing me at the Parr Hall!

Dizzy

If it is true that Elton John can play classical music "to perfection" (which I find it difficult to believe) then I dislike him even more because he is a charlatan to add to his other shortcomings. If he can play Bach, Chopin, etc, then let him do it! I can only judge him on what I have heard.

Your suggestion that I should "open my ears" to all that good music out there is more applicable to people who have closed their ears to the REALLY good popular music of the Twenties and Thirties (before my time as well as yours I suspect).

Sue

You are right to dismiss today's pop as junk. But if you were to delve a bit further back you would realise that most of what was produced in the Sixties, Seventies and Eighties was just as bad as today's stuff. The Fifties were pretty bad too and the rot had set in before the Forties were over.

You will, of course, get the odd good song surfacing in every period, but it won't be the likes of Elton John that produce them and the fact that it makes the performer a millionaire overnight has little to do with the quality. Quite the reverse in fact!

OK Adam.... you win as you obviously won't listen or appreciate that other people may like a different type of music to your chosen following :D

...and finally just because a person is clasically trained in their chosen instrument doesn't mean that is ALL they should play (says my sons classically trained tutor who plays and excels in every genre you can imagine :wink::P

Final question....... haven't we had this discussion many times before :wink::D:lol::lol:

Adam, I am not saying that there was not bad music in the era's I prefer, just that in past 10 years or so, there is more of it.

There is no iconic band or solo artist I could name of this current generation of musicians or singers, maybe it needs a catalyst like 'punk' was in the 70's to give a generation of young people their own identity and style of music?

The music of today seems too fake, to contrived and trying too hard to resemble of what has gone before.

• 2 weeks later...

We may have had it before, but that's true of the majority of topics on this forum, especially in the political realm, and there's always newcomers to consider.

My son was born in 1959 -- and was/is a big Elton John Fan. I had to hear B-B-B-B Benny and the Jets, and his hits -- enjoyed the duet with some young lady - Don't Go Breakin' My Heart.

But I don't blame Elton, as terrific and wonderful as the Beatles are that's where the decline started with all the garage bands that can't play a note, just bang on a drum or twang a bass guitar -- the 4 or 5 man groups took over the airwaves with money hungry promoters seeking the next Beatles phenom. It's all niche now - and don't forget the rap decline in vulgarity and ennervating noise.