New Travellers Pitch in the South of Warrington

Geoff Settle

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hasn't Mike B shifted them yet? We have mounds of earth in Padgate that would stop tanks - mind you they did crack the local defences last year when they cut through the chained padlocked gates on the rugby field - it cost a fortune to clear up afterwards - and led to a bitter row at one or two Parish meetings between the local High School and the Parish Council.

Lesson learnt be very prepared, very prepared.

[ 09.12.2007, 10:56: Message edited by: Geoff Settle ]

Originally posted by BazJ:

Generally they do a good job in extorting money from the motorist

That's probably because motorists are some of the worst offenders. Drivers without Insurance, MOT's, Licence, parking on double yellows and pavements, bald tyres, faulty lights, dangerous driving, stolen cars, using mobiles, speeding etc need I go on. That in itself is a full time job for the Police.

Perhaps if motorists behaved then that would allow the police to patrol our neighbourhoods.

Just a thought :wink:

No, the land is green belt and many people have applied for planning permission for that site....and have been refused. The planning application will be robustly objected to by the residents and Parish Council. It will then be for the officers....and members to decide....and quite possibly the planning inspector. Time will tell as they say.

Originally posted by busby:

Generally they do a good job in extorting money from the motorist

That's probably because motorists are some of the worst offenders. Drivers without Insurance, MOT's, Licence, parking on double yellows and pavements, bald tyres, faulty lights, dangerous driving, stolen cars, using mobiles, speeding etc need I go on. That in itself is a full time job for the Police.

Perhaps if motorists behaved then that would allow the police to patrol our neighbourhoods.

Just a thought :wink:

Oh please...

the police have all the means at their disposal to go and stop any driver from even leaving their house if a car has no MOT or tax etc. We have spent millions on ANPR systems and computer systems and they still can't rid the streets of them.

I would say that the MOT is no where near strict enough to keep some motors off the streets but that is another issue.

But still if you are happy with coppers sitting in Patrol cars nicking someone with a dodgy light rather than walking the streets stopping people getting murdered then you must obviously be eitehr a copper or very close to one because you obviously share the mentality when it comes to priorities

Baz

[ 09.12.2007, 13:53: Message edited by: BazJ ]

As I understand it, Mrs Southworth has not responded to the residents' email, that invited her help, David Mowat and I as the Constituency Agent did and are working hard to help the residents, the L/D Parliamentary candidate didn't.......rightly much to the annoyance of the local L/D Councillor who is trying to do his best.....mind you I guess if it becomes a photo opportunity and a press release etc. there would be a change of mind.

Actually they have breached a number of planning regulations already.

As an MP, whilst I accept that it is a local authority matter, she should be looking at the wider implications and the current laws to see what if anything needs to be changed as it is those laws which determine LA policy etc. Such involvement does of course require an MP to have some ability and desire to get involved. Anyway as things currently stand, such matters will cease to be her problem on or before May 2010 with polling experts indicating that they will become David Mowat's problems. :wink:

http://www.warringtonsouthconservatives.com/index.php?sectionid=111

[ 09.12.2007, 17:31: Message edited by: Paul Kennedy ]

I think you are much too generous in your defence of the person, Geoff.

I have heard that some people are saying that all that really matters to her is publicity. A photo opportunity here, a campaign there, and a passing band wagon to jump on, does seem to be her modus operandi from what I have seen.

Mind you in fairness when you have a job in Birmingham and are trying to be a parliamentary candidate 80 miles away in Warrington, it really can't be easy.....wonder where her husband Chris, fits into all of this.

Maybe they should have done what we did, choose a local candidate who can work in the constituency full time from a proper constituency office. :D

[ 09.12.2007, 18:59: Message edited by: Paul Kennedy ]

• 2 weeks later...

Little update....

A Mr Mike Smith paid approx ?100,000 to buy the former Grappenhall Lodge site on Cartridge Lane.

Although the travellers have already moved on there they want planning permission four caravans

He wants the application for between three and five years in a bid to find a "gipsy-traveller site on non-green belt land".

(is that the SAME site or a DIFFERENT one that they also have earmarked ??? )

In a letter to the council to support the application, Mr Smith says he has travelled in the Warrington and Middlewich areas most of his life but wants a permanent place to stay in order to find work and wants to give his children proper schooling. He has previously failed in bids to buy land at Nantwich and Leigh.

(do all primary schools in the area take children from traveller's groups and are there any spare places in any local schools to accomodate them :wink: :confused: )

Originally posted by Dismayed:

Little update....

A Mr Mike Smith paid approx ?100,000 to buy the former Grappenhall Lodge site on Cartridge Lane.

Thomas Hetherington Smith, and the land was bought for ?155,000 with the aid of a commmercial mortgage.

I think Mike Smith was the person who bought the site of Chester Road in Walton.

I think most schools are "encouraged" to find places for gypoes kids aren't they?

I'm not sure... I know Stockton Heath Primary has always had available places to accomodat but I'm not sure if any of the others local school actually do.

Originally posted by Paul Kennedy:

Thomas Hetherington Smith, and the land was bought for ?155,000 with the aid of a commmercial mortgage.

I think Mike Smith was the person who bought the site of Chester Road in Walton.

So if he gent in question already owns the large site in Walton then why his statement over planning re needing somewhere to settle down, gain employment and schooling for his kids...

Already got that hasn't he ?

[ 19.12.2007, 19:58: Message edited by: Dismayed ]