20 mph

vic

I do not mind the introduction of the 20mph limit as long as people will stick to it and that includes the cyclists.

I would also like to see compulsory yearly checks on all cycles to ensure that they are roadworthy and the introduction of compulsory cycle insurance to cover accidents caused by cyclists riding on pavements or, has happened, riding into the side of your car.

If this was brought in it could be done at a discounted price if you have your car in for n mot then take the bike in as well and get it done for ten pounds. i believe there is some sort of cycle insurance but not sure of the details maybe rod can enlighten us on this one.

Getting back to 20mph on residential roads though...

If you remember one of my ealier posts about the kids who play on the side roads round here blah blah blah ....well this happened at around 8.15am on Wednesday monring on the same residential street crossroad. :shock:

In the new proposals this road would become a 20 mph zone.

IMG_1521-1.jpg

IMG_1522-1.jpg

A 4x4 also overturned at the top of the same road early last year :?

Now for the adjoining road

This is what also happened in 2010 on the adjoining road but as this is a B Road this road 'may' be excluded and remain a 30 mph road (not that many stick to 30 on it :evil: )

No other driver was involved.

DSC03008.jpg

Might have made some difference but not much because if you look at the road, it?s wide with good separation between the road and the pavements so there isn?t any perceived danger.

They say the 20mph limit won?t result in everyone driving at 20mph so anyone expecting a 10mph drop across the board is going to be disappointed. As I understand it, perceived danger causes bigger reductions than any sign ever will so on a road like this I?d be surprised if the average dropped by much more than a few mph.

So do we know what caused this crash?

Bill :)

Great photos, Dizzy.

Perhaps you can sell them to the guardian?

looks like you have a lot of either untrained drivers or useless ones who should be made to take the test again.

I dont think a 20 limit would have made much difference to them.

Probably right there.....but I don't get why you say I should sell them to the WG :roll::shock: I'd give them to Gary for free but the wg can take a running jump 'paid for' or not :lol:

Bill the following extracts are from the WBC report to the council

The Government believe that Extreme caution should be exercised when considering making 20 mph limits using speed limit signs with no supporting speed reducing features. The weight of evidence points strongly to signed only 20 mph limits having little or no effect on traffic speeds

The Council report states that ?One area of concern for all of the three trial areas is that the first three sets of speed readings showed a continued reduction in average speeds however each site did show an upturn in speeds by the end of the trial period. There is no specific appreciation for these upturn and would raise particular concern if this was due to complacency through familiarity "

The weight of evidence points strongly to signed only 20 mph limits having little or no effect on traffic speeds

They said exactly the same when I was campaigning for a 20mph limit. Back then, the coucill's so called expert told me that they'd tried 20mph limits outside schools and and even here, people just didn't slow down. I asked how the measurments were taken and was told it was monitored constantly for several weeks 24/7 before and after the change. I asked if he would actually drive below 20mph while passing the school late at night or at the weekends to which the reply was "Probably not" To be honest, these people were that stupid It wouldn't have surpised me if they carried out their tests during the shool holidays. :lol::lol::lol:

This does demonstrate what I was saying though in that if the road presents no perceived danger then a lower limit will go largley ignored. This certainly was the case with their school test and probably the same on Long Lane.

I reckon that a lot of the other minor roads though already have averages well below 30mph before the limits were changed. I once carried out a set of covert measurements on Birchdale Road Paddington recording the maximum speeds. The average was speed was just over 20mph while the average peak (maximum) speed turned out to be just 26mph and this I attribute to the narrowness of the road, parked cars and side roads in the area.

Bill :)

Don't know why they couldn't just have part time 20 limits....during the hours of darkness it reverts to 30 because you just know that plod will be sat hiding on a residential road at 2am waiting for someone to go past at 30. No danger, but technically illegal and 3 points and money in the bank