Cuts -

observer

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope: instead of investing time, money and effort into creating continental super-states, that have "interests" and ultimately will come into conflict over such "interests" - we imo need to skip that historical phase and invest our time and energy in making the UNO work, as in World Governance = financial and legal control and policing. :wink: .

I love that ".....change the EU from within nonsense"

So the other 20 odd countries who get pots of money of the UK are going to let us do that are they? If it is as democratic as you say Kije (and quite where you get that idea from is beyond me.....I'd be more inclined to believe the second coming will happen next Thursday on the number 13 bus from Hackney......) they are just going to out number the UK by ermmmm 20 odd to one?

Get real and smell the coffee..... we and France and Germany are the Euro-zone cash cow. Germany is waking up to it and france will too when these next round of strikes expose how much France pays in and how much they get out.... especially as the French workers taxes will be going to pay for the Romanians retirement funds!!

You're not reading again Baz, The Eu could improve, I would like the UK to improve it from the inside , not from the outside,

The UN does not pretend to democratic, It is common for the United States to buy votes for things they want to get though, You want aid for this, then vote for this, You only have to look how the vote to recognise Israel went though to see how bad it is, I think Obs only mentioned them to escape getting pinned down. :wink:

No Obs mentioned them as the ultimate solution to peace and civilization in the World. Unfortunately, (as folk rightly identify) with endemic corruption and self interest, mankind is proving insufficiently mature and politically advanced to make such an organisation work. Such a conclusion would lead one to speculate that perhaps another century of war and pestilence is required (assuming we survive it), in order to concentrate minds sufficiently to make it work. :cry:

HMS Ark Royal : Aircraft Carrier

I wonder what the second hand value is for a 25 year old aircraft carrier or the value of scrap these days for such a ship?

There must be some country or dictatorship, the government could sell it to or even lease too?

Argentina perhaps?

Part of the reason behind "Defence contracts" is to create/maintain employment - and the skills and infrastructure are presumeably necessary to maintaining an "independent" capability. One of the major concerns about these "cuts", is the loss of engineering skills in companies like BAE Systems, once lost they are extremely difficult to replace - so the current cuts fervour is a case of playing with fire. :shock:

What will happen to the Ark Royal's 1000 crew members :shock:

or will they just work on HMS Illustrious and HMS Invincible instead (the other two aircraft carriers)

Some really interesting videos on the navy's web site about the Aircraft carriers.... links on right hand side of page.... cool :D

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/operations-and-support/surface-fleet/aircraft-carriers/hms-ark-royal/

Parking Roulette

(or another way of earning revenue?)

Just a thought, now the government has announced cuts in their various guises, and Warrington Council are asking for ways of saving and inventing ways of earning revenue, here?s an idea.

How about that for 3 days a week in and around the town car users will be able to park on any singe or double yellow line, free from fear of being fined, the only thing they won?t know is which days, therefore if you are caught on a day where you can be fined, that penalty will be double the usual fine?just an idea.

...and another thing...

With cuts of around 30% to the justice system, which will now dramatically reduce the number of prison officers, people in prison, slash legal aid and see the closure of more than 150 courts across, closing of prisons or the threat of them being privatised in England, and a claimed plan that suggests a reduction in the number of prisoners by at least 6,000 in the coming years, this seems to be the ideal time or good news if you are a villain intent in doing wrong with the only punishment being a slapped wrist and without the fear of going to prison, because the government will not be able to afford it.

anyone fancy volunteering to be a copper? Unpaid of course! :wink:

well for the amount of time my neighbour seems to be in work - and he's a copper; I could do that in my spare time! :lol:

needs to get a proper job or be self employed..... then he'll know what real work is!

A police Officer's working week is -

A full-time working week is 37 hours, with an average of two rest days. Police officers provide a 24-hour public service so this is not a 'nine-to-five' job. Unsocial hours, shift work, and emergency call-outs are required