Care in the Home?

observer

Seems the Gov are to spend money on "care in the home", with home adaptations etc, in an effort to keep folk away from hospital. So, a home is "adapted" the occupants eventually die, the house is sold, and the new occupants rip out all the adaptations - an efficient use of funds? Why not provide pre-adapted dwellings, solely for those in need and/or places like Ryfields, which concentrate the elderly and infirm, and make it easier and more efficient to provide care services? :?

Not quite Sid; a proportion of purpose built (adapted) houses should be available in every development and in the rented sector; when folk die, the property is then available for other disabled folk. Plus, their are now community homes like Ryfields, where care can be focused 24/7 - it's called economy of effort or resource. :roll:

so much for graveside humour :roll:

i have almost finished off my bathroom. we did have a bath but after Mrs sid had her seizure and shattered her arm she had difficulty in getting in and out of the bath. to that end i have scrimped and saved so that i could put in a shower and generally make it easier for her i have also added a few extra handrails in place where she struggles a bit. again all off my own back.

the trouble with the rented stuff is that it tends to go to "younger" people at the moment. the "older generation" are mostly people who have bought their own houses and do not want to move out no matter what infirmities they may have. they look on their home as an investment for their children and do not want to end up spending all their hard earned living in a rented home or care home.

one solution would be for everybody to be in rented accommodation and be moved around as the circumstances change. that way there would be no problems. ok so a lot of estate agents would be out of work and a few banks and building societies would have problems but all the housing needs would be met.( finally removes tongue from cheek and heads off for another coffee to wake myself up) :?

There is money available for "adaptations" - check it out with the Council; may be means tested though. And whether tongue in cheek or not, you hit on the answer to the efficient provision of housing need. btw. if you sold your house and moved into rented, you could give Mrs Sid a much needed holiday of a lifetime! :wink:

well having read obs post i can say that i am getting rid of her on friday :wink:

just thought i had better explain that Mrs sid is going to spend the weekend with her dad (just in case you got the wrong idea as the thought of police asking me awkward questions might spoil my weekend) :lol::lol: