Would you? -

observer

"run up debts on your kid's visa card?" - a question asked by Nick Clegg at the LibDem Conference. Well, isn't that what the majority of folk have done over the past ten or twenty years, including Government and the Banks? I believe personal debt in the UK now runs to a ?trillion - seems a generation will be laughing all the way to the crem! :wink:

In this time of cut backs and a large national debt, that will last for years and affect us all, surely it should not be the privileged few who should be immune from these measures, how about the people who have already retired taking a reduced monthly amount, especially those who have retired from local and national government.

What about the so called 9,000 people in public service who earn more that the Prime Minister taking a pay cut, showing solidarity with the very people they are asking to lose jobs, livelihoods and to take reduced wages?

:x

Not quite, other people who are still lucky enough to be in work have and still contribute to your pension, how ever small or big it is. It will not be long till this government will be changing laws to claw back on peoples pensions and raiding pension pots. You can't always sit back and look smug! and think it will not affect you.

If it's a company pension, it can't be touched. In fact if it's part of the contract that pension rises are based on the RPI then the government cannot change it to the CPI for future rises, it would be illegal.

I would not be surprised if this government overturns any legal requirement as long as it suits them to do so, the way it is going, nothing will be sacred or untouchable!

Thank you for your polite reply

I have paid for my monthly amount so you can bugger off, stupid woman

It can not be right though eagle, that someone who happens to be 20 years younger than you, and by the time they come to retirement payed in the same as you will not get what your getting now eagle. If you are finding it hard to live now it will be a lot harder for those who follow.

But before you have a go at me I agree that people who have retired should keep what they were promised.

Thankfully, I had no choice but to pay in to a pension scheme - something you don't think about when your young - and certainly the last thing on the mind of most youngsters nowadays. When they do look into such schemes, they will discover that they will now need to contribute large amounts for a longer period to receive anything like a reasonable pension. The schemes of yesteryear, had fewer in receipt of the pension with more paying in - money, which the (public) employer could bolster his budget with. Now, I've always paid my way, saving for the things I want (or rather need), so generally acting with fiscal prudence - so if you are asking me to pay for the feckless financial activities of the "me now" generation, and the micky mouse economics of the last Gov and the Bankers - I'd have to decline. :wink:

No I am not, I agree with most of what you said, sounds like you did not pay into a private pension though if you had to pay into it. Super Ann by the sound of it. Younger people will have to pay in far more than you ever did to receive the same as you, which is not fair. You lived though the last 20 years and enjoyed the benafits how about paying for some of it, instead of burdoning the younger people, your pension would have done very well in the 80s and 90s when looking back the cock up started, and their was money being spread like jam. So you have gained by the big spend :wink: