Is the game being strangled ?

safeway56

A few nights ago I watched a replay of the 1978 Challenge Cup Final...between two clubs I have no affection for...Leeds and St Helens and was amazed by the quality of the football compared to the present day...It was 26 blokes knocking seven bells out of one another played at breakneck speed who seemed to think it was their bounden duty to keep the ball alive at every opportunity. Nobody was trying to con the referee into penalties and there wasn't a gumshield in sight despite the brutality of some of the tackling. Only when it was considered an absolute necessity was the ball kicked and even then it was an attempt to find touch, not the negative kicking of the modern game. It was a long forgotten pleasure to watch. The next game I watched on TV was last night's play off game between Wigan and Hull KR and boy, what a contrast. Almost every aspect of the match was negative...tactical kicking, trying to milk penalties and the modern method of defence the gang tackling wrestling aspect which is more or less cheating, giving the maximum time for the defensive line to reform. Ever wondered why Wigan have got the best defensive record in the game by far ? They cheat that's why. They are tactics imported from Australia by Australian coaches but nobody in the coaching world speaks out because the vast majority of coaches are Australian and enjoy incestuous relations with one another. I switched off this dross long before half time and did something more productive...I picked the fluff from my navel. I truly fear for ther future of the game and if nothing is done during the coming close season to combat all this negativism I'll stop watching the game I've supported for 57 years.

Couldn't have summed up the current state of Rugby League better myself.

Some excellent points made and ones which I am sure would be agreed by 90% of all supporters of the game. Times change and so does sport, it has clearly changed in the last 5 years not just over 20 years. When do we ever see a good passionate scrap? Hull Derby being the only decent one this season I recall.

I think the Referee's have a lot to do with the way the game is played these days, not to mention the impact on what Video replays have had. Last night for example when the Wigan player lost the ball stretching to attempt to score a try, Silverwood had no clue what to do so he went upstairs for a replay. In real time god only knows what he would have done.

A lot of things need changing, the only thing I would like to see being brought into the game from Australia is having a Ref in both Attack and Defensive lines.

The main problem is the man in the middle who now seems to be the centrepiece of every game never ever allowing the contest to gain any momentum,he is either having cosy first name chats with players or blowing up for obscure reasons or letting his buddy upstairs take forever with video decisions he hasn't the nerve to call himself.

In comparison with(for example)the 78 final ref who was just there when needed and then he barked his orders and nobody dared throw a wendyball tantrum.

I despair at times :?

Couldn't have summed up the current state of Rugby League better myself.

Some excellent points made and ones which I am sure would be agreed by 90% of all supporters of the game. Times change and so does sport, it has clearly changed in the last 5 years not just over 20 years. When do we ever see a good passionate scrap? Hull Derby being the only decent one this season I recall.

I think the Referee's have a lot to do with the way the game is played these days, not to mention the impact on what Video replays have had. Last night for example when the Wigan player lost the ball stretching to attempt to score a try, Silverwood had no clue what to do so he went upstairs for a replay. In real time god only knows what he would have done.

A lot of things need changing, the only thing I would like to see being brought into the game from Australia is having a Ref in both Attack and Defensive lines.

Feeling a bit bitter after last night? :wink:

A few nights ago I watched a replay of the 1978 Challenge Cup Final...between two clubs I have no affection for...Leeds and St Helens and was amazed by the quality of the football compared to the present day...It was 26 blokes knocking seven bells out of one another played at breakneck speed who seemed to think it was their bounden duty to keep the ball alive at every opportunity. Nobody was trying to con the referee into penalties and there wasn't a gumshield in sight despite the brutality of some of the tackling. Only when it was considered an absolute necessity was the ball kicked and even then it was an attempt to find touch, not the negative kicking of the modern game. It was a long forgotten pleasure to watch. The next game I watched on TV was last night's play off game between Wigan and Hull KR and boy, what a contrast. Almost every aspect of the match was negative...tactical kicking, trying to milk penalties and the modern method of defence the gang tackling wrestling aspect which is more or less cheating, giving the maximum time for the defensive line to reform. Ever wondered why Wigan have got the best defensive record in the game by far ? They cheat that's why. They are tactics imported from Australia by Australian coaches but nobody in the coaching world speaks out because the vast majority of coaches are Australian and enjoy incestuous relations with one another. I switched off this dross long before half time and did something more productive...I picked the fluff from my navel. I truly fear for ther future of the game and if nothing is done during the coming close season to combat all this negativism I'll stop watching the game I've supported for 57 years.

It is like watching two different games - proper athletes now Safeway - all teams can play the same and use the same tactics - some just do it better thans others.

The game is far faster and more exciting now than when it was played by Props with beer bellies.

Nostalgia is great but the game is a far better spectacle now IMHO

Gaz...You obviously haven't watched the game to which I refer. Even I was pleasantly surprised at the level of fitness and stamina of the players involved. Remember, this game was also played under the six tackle rule and only two substitutes allowed and then only for injuries and not used tactically. I would say quite the opposite of what you suggest and the modern day gym monkies couldn't live with the stamina required in those days. You had to have the stamina to play the full eighty minutes back then. The two outstanding forwards in that game were George Nicholls from St Helens and Phil Cookson from Leeds, both players who would be first on the teamsheet of any *modern* club. The wingers involved were Smith, Atkinson. Mathias and Jones who were quicker than any of the wingers in the modern game. All of them could catch pigeons. I've tried to find the click for the match but the game isn't available on the BBC iPlayer anymore.