Chester Road/Walton Road/Ellesmere Road

Dizzy

When on earth are they going to do something about the road junctions adjoining Chester Road near to the Stag.

Another bad looking accident there at lunchtime today.... is it any wonder as it is a nightmare to exit or enter any of the other roads due to the shear volume of traffic on the A56.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peter a roundabout where the closed down toilets are would not help in the slightest (as you well know) as thats near the A49 not A56 :roll:

To have a roudabout in a graveyard anyway is a ludicrous suggestion as graveyards are of course 'dead end' routes :roll::wink:

PS did you mean the Man or Lady from Stafford Road. :wink:

I have a better suggestion to yours though.... in the absence of any propper traffic management maybe they could give 'Chris the dancing man' one of those red and green temporary hand held stop/go signs for the Chester Road junctions. :wink:

Dizzy, STOP confusing me.

At the junction of Ellesmere, Walton and Chester Rd, there is a partially wooded area with memorial that used to have toilets there as well. It could be turned into a roundabout and could even work quite well.

As for Stafford Rd, maybe both, but I was thinking more of DM. :wink:

I got stuck in the traffic queues caused by that accident today. 20 minutes just to cross the swing bridge - and there was one of the ship canal cruise boats waiting for the bridge to open, but they couldn't open the bridge coz none of the cars on it could move!

When we finally got close to the scene of the bump and there were 2 abandoned cars and a police Volvo blocking one side of the road, I wound down the window and asked one of the four members of Cheshire Constabulary who was standing around doing not a jot whether they'd like a hand pushing the bent cars out of the way and sweeping the road so that traffic could return to it's normal flow.

"Can't do that mate. 'Elf an Safety. That's Highways Agencies job, that is."

Makes me feel glad to be a taxpayer.

I can vaguely remember toilets being in that grassed area and if my memory serves they were only mens toilets.

I have thought that using that wooded area as a roundabout might work if it was 2 lanes all the way round in a clockwise direction. This would make the bottom section of Walton Road one way and feed everything right round past the Stag and back up Hill Cliffe Road to Walton Road where the left lane would be for left turn or straight across and the right lane would be for continuing clockwise towards the Chester Road The only drawback would be for the buses and the residents in that bit of Hill Cliffe Rd near the Stag Inn, but I think it is wide enough to provide enough space for everyone, and no vehicle would have to cross any junction. That's my solution for the traffic planners!!

Biggest problem by the Stag is when the swing bridge has been 'OFF' - or closed or open - depending whether you are on the canal or the road - whilst the suggested roundabout sounds like a possible solution tree preservation orders and resiting of the Walton War Memorial would be problem. The former public conveniences on the corner of Hill Cliffe Road and Ellesmere Road comprised a very elegant black and white partial timber structure incorporating ladies and gents and bus shelter under a tiled roof. Fell victim to vandals and perverts before being closed and demolished circa 1970.

As long ago as that... :D wait till I tell my dad as he couldn't believe that I didn't remember them being there :lol:

The traffic was not always bad there though and the roads looked a lot wider :wink:

WaltontheStagInn.jpg

Good old days eh where you could walk in the road and only worry about horse poop :lol:

.... on the picture I just uploaded there is an obilisk type structure on Ellesmere Road (just near where the people are stood). Any idea what is was ?

Here's a zoomed in pic of it although a bit pixelated.

waltonthestagzoom.jpg

Sorry I am going slightly off topic now but it's my thread so I'll let myself off just this once :lol:

Peter......I posted the original picture above the cropped one you Dim Witt and you can see the obelisk structure on that :lol::P I zoomed in to make it easier for you oldies to see.

I'd look a bit or a twit going out in the dark with my camera now although surely you know what the Stag pub and the area looks like these days and don't need a photo to remind you.... give me two minutes... "men" :roll::lol:

So I asked about an obelisk and you were more interested in a pub door which is now a window...

Why didn't you just ask the question 'is the door still there?' rather than saying 'What does the original look like and any thoughts about where it was. ' THAT question still doesn't make any sense :lol:

The only new skill I suspect you may have helped me discover so far Peter are those of patience and understanding :roll::lol::wink::P