Photos of the construction of the Manchester Ship Canal

algy

I have uploaded photos to PhotoBucket of the construction of the Manchester Ship Canal these are the same set as I uploaded in May and I shall leave them there for as long as possible, I am pretty sure they are out of copyright however I would request anyone downloading them should not use them for monetary or commercial gain, here is the link:-

Algy

Absolutely brilliant!

What amazing images of a by-gone age of canal construction, interesting to see what was and what still is and what machinery was being used.

A marvelous fete of engineering and a testament to the technology, skills and workforce from 1887 ? 1894.

A big thank you must go to the photographers of the time to capture this construction site, it must have been a great site and sound to see the water rushing in to fill the void that was dug out by the navigators and machines of the day.

If there isn?t already there should be a dedicated museum to the Manchester Ship Canel?

Thank you algy for an excellent collection of images

(Are some photos from Thomas Birtles?)