Pre Xmas Post - owed or refund ?

Dizzy

Very clever you two :evil: Do YOU BOTH realise what you have done !!!!

My son was supposed to start his electrical installation course today and changed it at the last minute to 'hair and beauty' based on your comments and as for engineering and computers..... well his dad has now resigned from his highly paid position and is hoping to becoming a gardener or a pimp and me 'the mum' was just about to sign off and put a hammer through the the world of PC's and all that goes with it :?:lol::P

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::wink::P

anyway back to the tax mess.....

Apparently if you are one of the unlucky ones to get a demand to pay additional tax you 'may' be able to refuse to pay it as HMRC could have exceeded its own rule on time limits in which to ask for the money.

Experts said people hit with an unexpected tax demand may be able to refuse to pay up as HMRC could have exceeded its own time limits in which to ask for the money.

Under tax rules, HMRC must issue demands for underpaid tax within 12 months of the end of the tax year in which it became aware that people had underpaid.

But if people provided HMRC with all the information they needed to get their tax code right, it should have used this information within 12 months of the end of the tax year in which it was received to claw back the extra money.

If HMRC failed to do this, taxpayers can ask for an Extra Statutory Concession, also known as an ESC A19.

The latest round of errors date back to April 2008, meaning anyone who alerted HMRC to changes in their circumstances that affected their tax code before the start of the new tax year in April 2009 may be able to cite this clause.

Tv also said today to watch out for all the email and postal scams expected to start going round from people 'pretending' to be HMRC :shock:

They also advise people getting genuine letters to CHECK the calculations thoroughly incase hmrc have got it wrong again :shock::?:roll:

Or in my case, unpaid employers.... I have to pay my child to work for me when he should do it for nothing to pay back all the money he has had off me over the past 20 odd years!

Damned fine idea Baz, If you ever do implement this, will you let me know, because I will be right behind you :wink::D