Pasties travels 250 miles to get delivered next door

Lt Kije

That's the way the pastie crumbles. :cry:

If Ginsters can only make them down in Cornwall, then they have to be transported to the main supermarket depots which in all probability will be at a centralized location.

At least buying them here in Warrington they won't have clocked up too many additional food miles so we can enjoy our pasties with a clear conscience. :wink:

Bill :)

The pasties will not be the only items delivered to that store from the depot, and there will be pasties being delivered to other stores from the same depot. So if you were to calculate the overall transport cost for pasties averaged out over all the stores supplied from that depot, then obviously it's the ONLY sensible way to do it. After all a truck is going to be transporting pasties from Ginsters to the depot anyway. And another truck is going to be transporting a variety of goods from the depot to the store next to Ginsters anyway. :wink::wink:

When the pasties arrived at the shop near to the pasty factory, they will have been brought by the same vehicle which delivered lots of other things from factories much further away. Probably the same vehicle which also made mixed deliveries to a number of other shops in the area. The share of the total transport cost attributable to the pasties alone was probably less than it would have cost to spend even 2 minutes thinking about alternatives - never mind actually implementing any of them.

Does anyone really believe that the supermarkets would know of a cheaper and more effective way of organising their logistics, and then deliberately fill the motorways up with un-necessary lorry journeys?

Would it have not been more cost effective to hand deliver :wink:

If it was more cost effective to do that then a commercial operation would do it that way. As they don't do it that way then I think it's safe to assume that it isn't cost effective.

If the same operation was put in the hands of the public sector you would find that the pasties would be delivered at three times the cost and after their best before date. :wink:

Yeah, like I said, inky, you can justify it as much as you like, but it still sounds like a scam worthy of Milo Minderbinder.

If you and anyone else had listened to the item in the link, you'd have heard a tesco spokesman describing this as a "quirk" of the system. "Quirky" isn't a long way from "bonkers" for me.

I understand that the economics of logistics prove that this is the best way for these people to do business with each other.

It still seems bonkers though.

I remember the days when people on here used to wibble on about "common sense" and "joined up thinking".

Crazy world, eh?