War on drugs?

observer

Sorry long post feel free to skip(.)(.)

What bugs me about drugs policies and debates is that the vast majority of those involved in the process do not have any experience and if they did they will not own up to it.

Immediately begging any debate such as this one the someone instantly throws in the stereotype druggie as seen in train-spotting THIS IS NOT A TYPICAL DRUG USER.

Most drug users go undetected, its only the ones who take things to the extreme that make the stories but thats true of EVERYTHING in life.

Just like drink, just like religious views, just like your sat-nav its perfectly alight 90% of the time but you only hear the stories of the time it tried to take you up the pedestrianised street or when things go wrong.

The undocumented but my observed statistic for drug use in this country is that 60% of the adult population between 18 and 60 are current or ex illegal drug users. But you will only know this if you are in "the scene".

If you have never taken them in your life,when the conversation comes up at work the person who is a non-user will not hear much more on the subject, those that partake or have partaken soon form a click of mutual stories or suggestions that they do it again some time. And the conversation then progresses to can you still get it? its like a secret club.

In my experience MOST people you work with at least smoke a joint, despite this they are not thieves trying to support their habit in fact out of all the regular drug users I know there is not one I would not trust to return my wallet if I dropped it and they were walking behind me, you only hear about the out and out losers of society, these are the ones that would be thieves and down and outs even if drugs did not exist.

The spin the politicians put on this is that drugs have caused these losers to spiral down to hell. The truth is they were already there, they were already no-hope'rs and drugs gives them some sense of escape from a very pointless life, that's why they don't want to quit, its not they don't see how bad things are its they don't want to see it.

Most drug users hold down steady jobs smoke pot during the week, do a little coke at weekends some do coke in work for the perk just like we drink coffee and still get to work Monday morning bright eyed and bushy tailed.

When I was in my 20's the drug of choice was ACID, I worked at the UCI cinema full time, myself and at least ten others were dropping at least 15 MBS, SMILIES, Purple orms was it...cant remember? a WEEK,

ACID, probably the most mind bending of any drug on the market each one would have you talking to rainbows for 8-15 hours at a time yet we all performed our jobs perfectly, infact the cinema (UCI) back then was far more cleaner and better run, christ they cant even shut the doors on the films nowdays and your feet stick to the floor with all the food guk.

I have worked in banks, government offices, airports and schools and trust me there is not one of these establishments that is any different to garrages, nightclubs or Amsterdam cafe's they all have at least occasional drug users working there.

What amazes me is that society accept that colleges, public schools and universities are a den of drug use, sexual encounters and hedonism yet still believe that once they get that graduation paper that these same students are the finest businessmen, doctors, politicians and upstanding citizens society can produce, beyond any such misdemeanour's

So my opinion on the thread

They should stop benefits full stop for everyone tax workers less, theres incentive to get a job.

As for drugs Marajuana should be sold in packs of 20 for ?10 a box its our lives it's a very social drug.

If the scallys that were drinking cider the night they murdered Gary newlove had been allowed to buy pot which Im sure they would have done none of you would know ho the hell he was and his children would still have a father.

Ban Supermarkets selling all booze other than wines and spirits (for grown ups) make lagers, ciders and alcho pops only available for licensed pubs for drinking on premises.

Other drugs...Prescription only from recreational drug centers highly taxable and regulated if your prescribing doctor thinks they are getting out of control he stops giving you the prescription. this would make a fortune.

I think that while many of us have tried smoking, drinking etc. in our youth (not the drugs in my case, don't remember any being available!), but either don't continue in the case of smoking or learned to drink/smoke in moderation. It would seem that there is something missing in the lives of those who feel the need to binge drink constantly and take drugs.

Many young people seem unable to find hobbies apart from computer games and going out with their friends which is not enough to feed their minds. The hospital series of programmes over the last few weeks have shown graphically how attitudes have changed and the legacy of ill health that many are already experiencing.

Something has to change and that surely has to start within the family.

Drugs are a means of escape from harsh realities for those too weak to cope. :roll:

I assume you mean for some?

Some do them for a pleasurable activity. Just like the bottle of wine I'm about to drink which no doubt will give me a sense of escape from an otherwise uneventful saturday night I'm not looking to escape the overall conditions of my life.

Between 1 and 3 pints of Guiness a week when WTFC are at home, otherwise just the one.

Recommended when I spent some time in hospital some years ago

Theirs nothing wrong with that Peter, I wish I was that sensible :oops: I will admit too drinking a few pints during the week if I am away, and a few bottles of wine at the weekend :wink: