Blair to give money to a sports centre

Lt Kije

Well at least the Battle Back Centre is getting a large chunk of money. Can't really expect them to refuse it as money is money eh but why anyone would want to buy Blares book is beyond me (other than now because the money is going to a good cause which wouldn't be needed it if it wasn't for Blair) :?

Infact..... maybe EVERYONE should buoycott his book and just send a donation of the purchase price to the Battle Back Centre fund. TV, news and radio could all do the same ie money they would pay for interviews with Blair and publishers could just be donated to the charity instead :wink: It could be called the "Make a Stand Campaign"... ooh maybe not :shock::?:oops:

I did like the statment from Mr Brierley whose son was sadly killed in Iraq though and I think he summed it up very nicely when he said

"This gift, or donation, is an absolutely fantastic thing, but it doesn't alter my aim that one day we will see Tony Blair in court for the crimes he committed.

Well knock me down with a feather, what a suprise (NOT) :roll::roll::roll:

Maggie didn't leave the country bankrupt and fighting 2 unwinnable wars (OK we weren't bankrupt when Teflon Tony slid away but that was a masterpiece of timing on his behalf :shock: )

You really need to go to Specsavers LtKije and get those rose tinted glasses changed for a pair you can see reality with :lol::lol::lol::lol:

No she just sold off all are (our) industries, changed the rules so foreign companies could buy are (our) industries. I do not think their (there) has ever been a more derisive (?) PM than her. Just look what she did to energy, where was your ship made :?:

Is that derisive or divisive?? Which industries did she sell off? Services yes, for the better in the case of the GPO telephones! British shipbuilding was dead long before Maggie became PM, I was sailing on Japanese and Russian built ships in the early 70s. Its all very well blaming Maggie for everything, but you can't really back up such outrageous claims. :wink::wink::wink::wink:

The hull of my ship was made in Russia, the fitting out was done in Estonia. The equipment is variously British, German, Norwegian, Japanese, Canadian and of course Chinese. Your point being? :roll::roll:

Kije,

i think you will find that Maggie didn't sell off any industries.... the industries were sold off by the people who owned them. The government of the day also didn't "allow" foreign companies to buy British companies; that had been going on for years and is still going on.

With the advent of a more global marketplace, British companies now find it is either too expensive to produce goods over here (minimum wage, taxes, VAT, corporation Tax etc. etc.) or they relocate abroad.

You take ship building as an example, Asperitys ship was more than likely built abroad in Japan, Korea or China (although if you take your beloved EU, the EU export more shipping than it imports!) The main reason for far eastern shipbuilding is cheaper raw materials and labour.... nothing else.

This country became a hot bed for industrial action in the early 70's (Swan Hunter, Cammell Laird, British leyland etc. etc.) so it is no wonder that the owners either sold up or relocated abroad as union militancy played a far more destructive role in the decline of British manufacturing than Maggie ever did.

As for the future..... well when it costs as much in China to buy a 3 bed semi and a BMW, then their prices will rise to equal ours and theplaying field will level out again.... don't hold your breath though!

Being in business is all about cost, if it was cheaper to bring a Polish bloke over to do your job Kije, I bet your company wouldn't think twice.....

The topic was about Bliar: but to keep it brief, all he was, was a continuation of Thatcher's legacy of sucking up to and reliance on the City and service sectors, while we relied ever more on imported manufactured goods. But his legacy has still to play itself out, EG the development of "faith" schools building a generation brainwashed in sectarian ignorance and antipathy - so much for social cohesion. :roll:

Baz You should know the history of the party you support, Maggie changed the rules to make it easier for foreign companies to buy British ones, she thought it would bring inward investment, it did not they just bought are under books and closed down are factories :!:

And in 13 years NuLiebour couldn't change the law? Don't make me laugh!! They brought in more legislation than any administration in history, none of which was any good. :wink::wink: Just carry on blaming Maggie for anything and everything if it makes you happy, it doesn't change reality :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Governments when elected Asperity do not repeal all the last governments legislation, if they did they would get nothing done.

Ps

Corus were not a British company and have not been for a while :wink:

Who said anything about repealing ALL the legislation? Though come to think of it that would be a good starting point for this government!

What has your point about Corus not being British got to do with anything? :roll::roll: