Motorway Madness -

observer

ran down the road hitting herself over the head with a hammer

Would anybody with a fully functional brain do this to themselves :?:

You'll be able to ask her that yourself next year if you bump into her walking free as a bird down your street, courtesy of people more concerned with her rights than yours...

ran down the road hitting herself over the head with a hammer

Would anybody with a fully functional brain do this to themselves :?:

You'll be able to ask her that yourself next year if you bump into her walking free as a bird down your street, courtesy of people more concerned with her rights than yours...

I couldn't have put it better myself John

I never said I was more concerned with her rights than anyone else's, My concern is this;

Can you go from well to hitting yourself in the head with a hammer overnight, Should someone have picked up on the fact that at least half her brain was miss firing long before she killed someone.

Reverse the cut backs in mental health, better screening take the at risk people out of the population before they kill people. When Winwick and Prestwich were open they had somewhere to go and were looked after. Trouble is it costs money. And it is not a perfect solution.

The old hospitals like Winwick, were not an ideal solution, but it was better than having them in the community. The trouble is mental health has always been a low priority, know one likes to talk about it until somebody dies by the hand of someone who is ill. I hope you agree that prison is not the answer for these people so that leaves places like Winwick that were shut due to lack of funds, So as someone said earlier they probably will end up back on the streets to kill again :cry:

They need somewhere where they can neither harm other people or harm themselves :!:

Mental Health Hospitals were closed under Maggy - the excuse at the time being that patients could be better treated by "care in the community" - thus allowing for the real reason - the selling off of Gov assetts (eg Winwick). :cry: Under this new "austerity regime" we'll no doubt see the loss of other services that we will come to regret. :roll:

Come on then Baz what would you do with mentally ill people that are wondering round right now :?:

well I wouldn't have them "wandering" around put it that way. They would be locked up in old aircraft hangers if needs be. Either way they would be off the streets

and in an age of austerity, the money is where? :?

Oh, the money is there, some private enterprises are thriving by cherry picking the more troubled cases like this lady.

Just off Winwick Rd and very convenient for the town centre is a discrete building in which patients 'who are likely to present risk if accessing the community' are confined, guests in this privately owned forensic medium secure unit cost the NHS between ?400 and ?700 per day each depending on just how likely they are to abscond and 'access the community'.

Not a lot of people know that.