Victorian Market

Gary

I wish the Old Market and Fish Market were still there. Far better than the one we have now.

Really disappointed. We went to town yesterday to see the continental stalls, not realising the Fish Market was on.

Didn't rate the continental stalls, disappointed(or expected too much.

Nope - it actually involves traders from the continent, who arenm't farmers!

A farmer's market is generally occupied by farmers!

Peter - perhaps you arrived too early - and lets face it if you missed the fish market where everybody was maybe you missed some of the continental market.

I know a good optician! :wink:

[ 16.11.2007, 14:23: Message edited by: Gary ]

I went yesterday...

Liked the continental bit down Bridge Street and bought some fruit and stuff from a bloke with a really sexy french accent :D , tasted some olives (yeuch), had a laugh with a bloke selling paella and bougt a not so continental dog bed (weird I know).

But the bit in the old fish market was very disappointing. Thought they were setting it up to be like it used to be years ago..... It was naff and I'm sure they definately didn't have stalls selling hair extensions and mobile phone accessories etc then :roll:

Really enjoyed the Continental Market today with a good range of cheeses ,olives etc . Amusing how the French stallholders were encouraging shoppers to practice their school french -great to see - however the Warrington bit outside the Barley Mow was ruined by some barking scouser on a mike who completely ruined the ambience with bingo caller type ranting all afternoon as well as some stalls which would have looked tatty at a car boot ...

[ 17.11.2007, 22:55: Message edited by: Alien Circumstance ]

Originally posted by Geoff Settle:

If you liked this one and get a chance to visit Manchester you'll like the one in Albert Square. :D German Beer Tent, Woooden chalets, lots of nick nacks, lovely food.

Having seen that on TV last xmas, I was hoping that the Warrington one would be similar, hence my disappointment.

Originally posted by Alien Circumstance:

Really enjoyed the Continental Market today with a good range of cheeses ,olives etc . Amusing how the French stallholders were encouraging shoppers to practice their school french -great to see - however the Warrington bit outside the Barley Mow was ruined by some barking scouser on a mike who completely ruined the ambience with bingo caller type ranting all afternoon as well as some stalls which would have looked tatty at a car boot ...

Have to agree Alien.

The Continental Market appears to be the same one that appeared in Widnes last month, If it's doing the rounds anyone know where it's going next?

Can't say I am impressed by the xmas deccy's though.

I Loved being in town yesterday, crepes exactly like they were in Brittany, yummy cheeses and pate to buy (which i did)I think the town is looking really good now, love all the little coffee shops and new businesses coming to the area. long may it continue! :loveyou: :loveyou: :loveyou:

Not really wanting to be a killjoy but does no one care about hygiene anymore. This was nothing like the markets that I have seen abroad. It was a camp of gypsy?s. Filthy one?s at that. The stalls were knocked together bits of old wood, I only saw one with washing facilities, there was a bbq thing that I stood and watch, if that food was cooked I was a Dutchman.

There was man selling French ? pastries, he was wearing woollen fingerless gloves, not that I have anything about woollen gloves, but not when dealing with food. Not one person was wearing plastic gloves, Food equipment was on the floor, I don?t think that any of the people there could have attended a food technology course. Where were the trading standards people when all these violations were so obvious? I went away disappointed and certainly didn?t eat anything.