20 mph Road Signs Painted Out - Long Lane

Cabriolet

clearly maths isnt a strong point. it logically adds 1/3rd which is a significant proportion by any standards.

Well I am afraid it is you who have just demonstrated that you wouldn't have got an A* in maths. In fact its a bit of a GCSE question really.

To travel 1 mile at 30 mph takes 2 minutes or 120 seconds

To travel 1 mile at 20 mph takes 3 minutes or 180 seconds

Hence for a steady speed of 20mph instead of 30mph adds 1/2 the time and not a 1/3rd as you suggest.

A good lesson in maths there and had me thinking for a few minutes :lol:

However you could say that going from 30 mph down to 20 mph decreases it by 1/3 :wink:

Out of interest Rod what speed do you type at and how long does it take to type out your long and detailed replies :D:wink:

I think it's time that we all agreed with you over the 20 mph issue if only to save your fingers and to stop you becoming a statistic based on repetative strain injury :lol::wink:

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dizzy

Thanks for your concern! :wink:

fatshaft

On average 30mph and 20 mph consume about the same fuel at a steady speed. Its all down to the exact gearing of the vehicle concerned. I think a Land Rover Discovery was found to be 10% more efficient at 20 than 30.

But travelling at a maximum of 20mph on residential roads takes out all the inevitable acceleration between 20 and 30. Any engineer will tell you that its the accelerator pedal that uses fuel and the brake pedal that wastes it.

In addition a lower speed enables you to better anticipate obstacles and keep your driving calmer. That also saves fuel.

Best regards

Rod

fatshaft

On average 30mph and 20 mph consume about the same fuel at a steady speed. Its all down to the exact gearing of the vehicle concerned. I think a Land Rover Discovery was found to be 10% more efficient at 20 than 30.

But travelling at a maximum of 20mph on residential roads takes out all the inevitable acceleration between 20 and 30. Any engineer will tell you that its the accelerator pedal that uses fuel and the brake pedal that wastes it.

In addition a lower speed enables you to better anticipate obstacles and keep your driving calmer. That also saves fuel.

I love how you manage to make nonsense sound so totally plausible. Can't comment on the specifics of the Disco, I can only assume being an offroader that 4th gear is very lowly geared in one of them, so ity may well be perfectly capable of toddling along at 20mph in that, so of course it wouldn't apply to one of them. Although of course it's already guzzling much more fuel than the average car, so a bit of a hollow victory I would have thought.

Fact remains, the average car will not run at 20mph in 4th, so you will have to run along in 3rd, therefore driving at higher revs for a longer period. Any fool can tell you that higher revs means more fuel useage, whether that be aceelerating, braking, or just driving at a steady speed.

If you had a car that had instant fuel mpg, you'd see that right before your eyes.

1.Children who feel the roads are safer to enable them to walk or cycle to school or the shops.

2. Adults who will find walking on the streets more pleasant.

3.Old people or those with limited mobility.

4. Those who live on the streets with lower noise and less pollution.

5. Drivers who can avoid collisions and reduce costs.

6. And as I have said many times, please someone at least stand up for "higher speeds" and tell us how they are of benefit.

1. children are not meant to walk on roads...nobody is thats why they have footpaths.

2. see 1 change children to adults.

3. Old people with limited mobility have "limited mobility" so walking the streets is not one of their better options of activities.

4. The faster the better the quicker a vehicle passes you the less noise you suffer.Speed is not the only factor in pollution in fact its one of the least by your logic electric cars should be allowed to do 100mph do you think? seems like your just clutching any straw.

5. there is no negative correlation between speed and collisions, if anything the places where we go faster are the safest on comparison, air, motorways etc again if you want to make statistics that suit your desire then so can I.

6. So you never have to ask again

1. Reduces the time a noisy vehicle passes you

2. Allows people freedom to enjoy life by saving time to do recreational activities

3. Can be entertaining thats why we have "Races"

4. Benefits the economy, nobody ever wants something to arrive later than needed.

5. Desire for high speed efficiency has developed engine technology benefiting all mankind increasing our abilities to travel to space and discover new resources.

6. Saved lives, nobody wants an ambulance trundling down the road at 20 when they are having a heart attack.

Sirry Rod I missed your earlier reply to me

To do 20 comfortably driving along in my car I have to be in 3rd gear. This means higher revs than if I was in 4th/5th gear so therefore I am using more petrol. I would imagine that most normal cars are the same.

Any engineer will tell you that its the accelerator pedal that uses fuel and the brake pedal that wastes it.

Eh ?? I will ponder over that one :lol:

Whilst we are talking about wasting fuel......

Being stuck in traffic or slow moving traffic uses more fuel.

Using air conditioning is said to up your fuel consumption by up to quite a lot on slower roads..... however I was told that it's all relative as if you don't use your air con and open your windows instead you actually use more fuel as air flow over the car is disrupted causing 'drag'

And according to the AA driving around with an empty roof rack adds 10% to your fuel consumption.

I agree in part but then perhaps peoples concentration is better at slightly higher speeds than when they are dawdling along. Seen loads of bumps like that in my time.